Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Earth Moves for Melburnians!

Wikiposts

The Earth Moves for Melburnians!

Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:00 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default The Earth Moves for Melburnians!

Guess what?

The Earth Moved for me last night here in Melbourne (& it was nothing to do with hubby, either!).

At about 2:45am, one of our cats started rushing round the house howling his head off & woke me up. Then, a little while later, there was what appeared to be a minor earthquake. Everthing started shaking & there was this weird low, rumbling sound. However, The Age News report (see story below) says the meteorologists are not sure it was!

But, look, my cat behaved this same way when we had the UK earthquake - I am convinced he was trying to warn me.

And I'd trust his instincts every time before a bunch of scientists

Anya.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
FROM THE AGE WEB SITE, WED 2 FEB

Did the earth move for you?
February 2, 2005 - 8:57AM

The earth may have moved for Melbourne residents last night but experts say they didn't feel a thing.

Geoscience Australia, the national body which measures earthquakes, said there was no evidence of an earth tremor in Melbourne, despite radio reports of one this morning.

However, they said it was possible a sonic boom caused the shaking.

Given the large number of residents who reported feeling a rumbling shortly after 3am (AEDT), a Geoscience Australia spokesman said it appeared something had occurred but no one was sure what.

"There's no doubt something's happened," he said.

The spokesman said so far there were no seismic readings showing a tremor, but experts would continue to monitor the readings.

He said a small localised tremor may have occurred, spanning about 20 km and measuring no more than roughly 1.3 in magnitude.

The shaking also could have been caused by a sonic boom, from a low flying high-speed aircraft.

A Defence Department spokesman said he was unsure if any planes were flying over Melbourne last night but would investigate.

Bureau of Meteorology senior forecaster Terry Ryan said there was no record of thunder or lightning in Melbourne last night.

Residents have been calling Melbourne radio stations ABC and 3AW, saying they felt a tremor in the middle of the night.

A 3AW spokeswoman said the station had had received an "overwhelming" number of calls from right across Melbourne to as far south-west as Geelong.

Meanwhile, electricity supplier Powercor is stumped by the mystery.

A Powercor spokesman said the company's theory was that the rumblings, reported to have happened around 3.08am, might have something to do with a lightning bolt that struck a power pole in Melton in Melbourne's west.

The lightning blew the six-metre pole and an attached transformer to bits, leaving nothing more than a stump, the spokesman said.

"It's a real freak of nature event, we haven't really had it happen before," he said.

"If the nature of what's left of our power pole is anything to go by - it's stuffed, it's just a stump - then it could have been that."

Asked how the impact would have travelled so far across Melbourne, the spokesman said: "I'm fascinated by that".
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Earth Moves for Melburnians!

Maybe Geoff Kennets boof spontaneously combusted.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:06 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom
Maybe Geoff Kennets boof spontaneously combusted.

Great minds think alike. Exactly what I was thinking.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 6:16 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Coldest day on records for February - 13 degrees, and a months' rain fell in 24 hours too. What a night and day!

Cas
Old Feb 1st 2005, 7:42 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Was heaps of calls about it into the radio after 3am last night Anya. ( I work nights, thats why I was up )

Seemingly getting calls from Frankston to Williamstown so I'd guess your pussy was correct.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:07 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bordy
Was heaps of calls about it into the radio after 3am last night Anya. ( I work nights, thats why I was up )

Seemingly getting calls from Frankston to Williamstown so I'd guess your pussy was correct.
My pussy, dear Bordy, is ALWAYS correct

Anya.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:13 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anya4oz
A Defence Department spokesman said he was unsure if any planes were flying over Melbourne last night but would investigate.

Thats scarier than the thought of an earthquake!!!! :scared:
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
Nice to know that the powers that be are in full command of the situation and everyone knows what's going on
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
Awful at moment - would be surprised if no further structural damage.

Heavy rain and very strong winds - my house might end up in the Land of Oz !!

Cas
Old Feb 1st 2005, 10:35 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Awful at moment - would be surprised if no further structural damage.

Heavy rain and very strong winds - my house might end up in the Land of Oz !!

Cas

We are just LOVIN the rain up here right now!! Finally, I am gonna get some GREEN grass....Woooo Hoooo