Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Earning £ and living in Oz

Earning £ and living in Oz

Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of
Default Earning £ and living in Oz

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anybody else was in the same situation - I've got a business over here which, in theory, I can run successfully from Oz. Question is - how do I get the money that I make; which will be UK taxed, over to Oz without leaving myself liable for more tax!?

sorry, boring question

Mark (easily taxed)
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:26 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

to taxing for me mate!! When are you off?? Good luck with getting sensible answers from you question to!!
Old Oct 16th 2003, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally posted by h garrett
to taxing for me mate!! When are you off?? Good luck with getting sensible answers from you question to!!
We head off 29th November! Booked a stretch limo to Heathrow
I know its tacky - but I just thought it would be a fun way to go, I think it was the unlimited free chocolate that swung the deal!

Brisbane for Christmas (no house, no job .... no worries mate)
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:05 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Earning £ and living in Oz

Mark,

The short answer is .. it all depends.

Do you trade as a limited company or as a sole proprietor? Where are your customers based? Do you have retained earnings in the business that you want to extract? Etc etc.

As a general principle it is easier from a tax perspective to wind up the UK business and start a new business in Australia. But if your customers are in the UK it might be preferable to retain a UK presence.

Happy to advise more fully and to confirm our fees if you send me an email ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by doub
Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anybody else was in the same situation - I've got a business over here which, in theory, I can run successfully from Oz. Question is - how do I get the money that I make; which will be UK taxed, over to Oz without leaving myself liable for more tax!?

sorry, boring question

Mark (easily taxed)
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Mark,

The short answer is .. it all depends.

Do you trade as a limited company or as a sole proprietor? Where are your customers based? Do you have retained earnings in the business that you want to extract? Etc etc.

As a general principle it is easier from a tax perspective to wind up the UK business and start a new business in Australia. But if your customers are in the UK it might be preferable to retain a UK presence.

Happy to advise more fully and to confirm our fees if you send me an email ...

Best regards.
Thanks Alan,

Ill be in touch
Old Oct 16th 2003, 11:56 pm
owieb

Originally posted by doub
Hi everyone,

sorry, boring question

Mark (easily taxed)
I'm in exactly the same situation. I wound up the UK company, setup a Pty in Oz with a dollar and sterling account. I bill my UK clients in sterling, they pay me into the sterling account. I then move that to the dollar account as and when I need it or the rates are looking good.

Work I do for Australian clients gets billed in dollars and paid straight into the dollar account.

All tax is paid in Australia.