Reload this Page >

Early Years Foundation Degree

Early Years Foundation Degree

Old Sep 26th 2010, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

karinnel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Early Years Foundation Degree

Hi,
We are applying for a Visa to imagrate to Australia on my husbands qualification as a Financial Manager (Accountancy) however I would like to know more about the Early Years teaching qualifications. Currently I'm a childminder with a Level 3 CACHE Diploma in Homebase Childcare. After reading a few forms it seems that this are not recognised in Auz. I want to enrol in the Early Years Foundation Degree to be able to teach in pre schools or reception class - Does anyone know if the Foundation degree is recognised and will i be able to get a teaching job in Early Years (birth - 7years) - Many Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2010, 9:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Early Years Foundation Degree

You would probably have to go in as a childcare worker and then do a degree.
I had a teaching degree (primary school) and 8 years experience as special needs in a preschool, but none of that was recognised, so I'm at the bottom of the pile again, and at my age I am not going to take another training course just to get to where I was 10 years ago.
There are also changes afoot in the early years curriculum, so what you learn this year may not be the same next year- one of the reasons I got out of teaching in schools in the UK.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:10 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by karinnel
Hi,
We are applying for a Visa to imagrate to Australia on my husbands qualification as a Financial Manager (Accountancy) however I would like to know more about the Early Years teaching qualifications. Currently I'm a childminder with a Level 3 CACHE Diploma in Homebase Childcare. After reading a few forms it seems that this are not recognised in Auz. I want to enrol in the Early Years Foundation Degree to be able to teach in pre schools or reception class - Does anyone know if the Foundation degree is recognised and will i be able to get a teaching job in Early Years (birth - 7years) - Many Thanks
Hi
Have to agree with Caroline I'm afraid. In my experience and through my research, the only qualification that would enable you to teach here would be a 4 year education degree or a 3 year plus a 1 year post-grad. However, even then "they" are very particular about the content of your degree and where you studied. There is a site (in case you haven't found it already) that lists the overseas qualifications that are recognised - I seem to have wiped the link from my bookmarks though, but will post later with it after I've had a search. I am currently in a dilemma over what I will do here too. I have a NNEB which is recognised and I have been offered jobs in childcare here - but the hours are long and don't fit with my child and the fact I have no support network. I also have a 3 year BA in Early childhood studies but will need to do a post-grad here if I want to teach. Even then, after forking out for this, I will need to do battle with the huge numbers of primary teachers looking for early years work. To be honest, I knew all this before I came - and I'm still pondering my options ... My husband will be the main breadwinner and my work will never bring in a wage to compete with his but I want to work and even crap pay will help. I have been considering teacher aide work and there appears to be a demand for this on a relief basis in my area - which would fit with family life. Could this be an option for you? One final thing .... if you do decide to do a degree, I would suggest you go for the full monty rather than the FD - and if your preference (like mine) is the early years, there appears to be more teaching work available in kindy's and pre-school centres while school teaching jobs are harder to come by. Bear in mind though that to teach in these kindy's, early learning centres, you almost always have to have the 4 year degree too. PM me if I can help further
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:14 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light

Me again ..... here's the link ....

http://www.communityservices.qld.gov...are/workingcc/

Bear in mind though, this is for Queensland only and the requirements differs according to the state in which you will be working.

Hope this helps
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:25 am
Just Joined

Hi, Thanks for the reply - it's look like fun. Not sure if I want to study 4yrs here and then start over again. I'll look at the webpage you've send thanks. I would preffer to work with the 2-6 yrs kids. So it looks like Kindy and preschool option is best for me. Got to go and do the school run but will be asking more questions later - Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2010, 9:12 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

At Deakin you can use a diploma to fast-track a degree and get it in 2 years.
http://deakin.edu.au/arts-ed/educati...r-pathways.php

I think you qual would be assessed as Qualified Childcare Worker Diploma as was my wife's NNEB.

In VIC these people http://www.earlychildhoodvictoria.or...w%20to%20apply do the assessment.

Best to get Aus degree.

They may have similar in other states.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

There is plenty of work in Kindy's over here if you are qualified. I used to teach preschool, but again will have to do the bachelors course to enable me to do the same thing here. I work in a Kindy now, my second since being here, and have found a lovely place to work, there are good ones and some terrible ones around. If you are qualified you will get a good choice to choose from.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

maund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to allmaund family is a name known to all

by the way we are from stone, staffordshire originally.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by maund family
There is plenty of work in Kindy's over here if you are qualified. I used to teach preschool, but again will have to do the bachelors course to enable me to do the same thing here. I work in a Kindy now, my second since being here, and have found a lovely place to work, there are good ones and some terrible ones around. If you are qualified you will get a good choice to choose from.
This is interesting ..... I am looking for my first role in Brissy and I'm a little wary. So far, I am considering applying both to agencies and via newspaper ads .... In the UK I experienced both sides of childcare - the good and the bad - and hate the thought of being caught up in an awful place 'cos you can't always tell straight away. In the UK I got to know which ones to avoid and found out to my cost that some of the "chains" were not good at all. It would be great if you happen to know of any to steer away from or indeed to comment that any are particularly good - please pm if you do ...
Old Oct 5th 2010, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Hi All, thanks for your mails - I'm still very confused and all the Early Years certificates and degrees are changing as we speak. It looks like the NVQ level 3 may have been acceptable in some states, however the NVQ has change from Oct. I have just became a Network Childminder and would discuss further training with my mentor. We've started our Visa application so now it's just waiting. Is Australia, Perth really so great? We've got friends from the Uk who's been living there since 2008 and the love it.
Old Oct 9th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karinnel
Hi All, thanks for your mails - I'm still very confused and all the Early Years certificates and degrees are changing as we speak. It looks like the NVQ level 3 may have been acceptable in some states, however the NVQ has change from Oct. I have just became a Network Childminder and would discuss further training with my mentor. We've started our Visa application so now it's just waiting. Is Australia, Perth really so great? We've got friends from the Uk who's been living there since 2008 and the love it.
I am NNEB and was given advice from a BE member to ask CACHE to write a letter stating your qualification and value re level 3.
In the end we moved to NZ not OZ and my NNEB isn't accepted here and I work as a teacher aide on $14 an hr before tax.

I'll send you a private message.
Helen