British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Early Retirees on Sunshine Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/early-retirees-sunshine-coast-485940/)

lara48 Oct 8th 2007 8:00 am

Early Retirees on Sunshine Coast

Hi there, I am new to all this so don't know how to find people out there.
My OH and myself decided to take early retirement in the UK and move to the Sunshine Coast mainly because we have family out here, this is OK but they have there own friends and we need to meet people of a similar age group (early to mid fifties).

So I was wondering if there are any expats in a similar position out there?

The OH Oct 8th 2007 10:15 am

Re: Early Retirees on Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by lara48 (Post 5399970)
My OH and myself decided to take early retirement in the UK and move to the Sunshine Coast mainly because we have family out here, this is OK but they have there own friends and we need to meet people of a similar age group (early to mid fifties).

You may need to post this on the Meet - ups in Australia.

Good Luck to you both and enjoy your retirement:thumbup:

lara48 Oct 9th 2007 11:34 am

Originally Posted by The OH (Post 5400365)
You may need to post this on the Meet - ups in Australia.

Good Luck to you both and enjoy your retirement:thumbup:

Thanks for that I will give it ago.

ruthnurse Nov 3rd 2007 4:42 pm

Hi there! Wonder if you can help me.

I am currently at UNI becoming a nurse I finish in Summer 2009. Myself, husband and 3 children are moving to Brisbane as soon as I qualify. My brother already lives there and we are keen to be close as he has children now etc etc. We visited at Christmas last year and loved it!!!

Now then the point I am writing to you is that I would like my dad to come too! When we go he will have nobody, he lives close to me now and is not with my mum any more.

His sister lives in Weymouth and they rarely meet. Therefore the only relatives he has is myself and brother who will be both in Aus.

I am keen to find out where I start with applying for a Retirement Visa? Is that the only option? Can he come with us? Does he have to pay the 500$ I have seen as the investor visa? I apologise if I am asking the wrong person just keen to get started.????????:confused:

I thank you in advance !!

Ruth Parsons

Timber Floor Au Nov 3rd 2007 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by ruthnurse (Post 5506148)

I am currently at UNI becoming a nurse I finish in Summer 2009. Myself, husband and 3 children are moving to Brisbane as soon as I qualify. My brother already lives there and we are keen to be close as he has children now etc etc. We visited at Christmas last year and loved it!!!

Now then the point I am writing to you is that I would like my dad to come too! When we go he will have nobody, he lives close to me now and is not with my mum any more.

His sister lives in Weymouth and they rarely meet. Therefore the only relatives he has is myself and brother who will be both in Aus.

I am keen to find out where I start with applying for a Retirement Visa? Is that the only option? Can he come with us? Does he have to pay the 500$ I have seen as the investor visa? I apologise if I am asking the wrong person just keen to get started.????????:confused:

Ruth Parsons

not sure he fulfils basic criteria of Last Remaing Rellie

I think a retirement visa is extortionately expensive...

I have often asked a similar question... but on the basis of a SELF funded older person, staying in Oz for say 6 months per year... then back to UK.

never really got an answer.. wasnt looking for a visa classification.. just a long staying visitor kiinda thing !

FRAYNE Nov 4th 2007 3:21 am

Originally Posted by ruthnurse (Post 5506148)

Ruth Parsons

Hello Ruth
my husband and I came out a year ago on a CPV visa the retirement visa was to expensive,there is a thread running on the imigration forum if you do a search for contributory parent visa you will find it, we are all very freindly in there and there is allways someone ready to give you answers and advice
good luck
Janet

Mandy&Cliff Nov 4th 2007 9:57 am

Originally Posted by lara48 (Post 5399970)

Hi Lara,

Congratulations on your decision. Hubby and I often talk about the logistics (for the future) of 6 months in either country.....As for similar position..... not far off your age group, early-mid forties.............not up for retirement yet though, shame :( have got so much would love to do) Where abouts are you looking to settle on the coast?