Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

early dark nights??

early dark nights??

Old May 24th 2006, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Question early dark nights??

Hi,

this may sound a bit of a daft question but hey ho, I was just wondering, as it gets dark earlyish in Brisbane, even in summer, does this bother any of you already there?? Although we don't get chance to very often, it is nice to saty outside till later while it is light in the UK. Hope that makes sense. The only way i would find out is by asking you all on here and I have been pondering over it for a while.

Thanks in advance
CLaire
x
Old May 24th 2006, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future
Default Re: early dark nights??

Originally Posted by flump
Hi,

this may sound a bit of a daft question but hey ho, I was just wondering, as it gets dark earlyish in Brisbane, even in summer, does this bother any of you already there?? Although we don't get chance to very often, it is nice to saty outside till later while it is light in the UK. Hope that makes sense. The only way i would find out is by asking you all on here and I have been pondering over it for a while.

Thanks in advance
CLaire
x
Yeah must admit it's kinda weird. As nice as it is having the sun all the time it does go down by 5pm at the mo, and they tell me even in the summer your lucky to see it still at 7.30pm!

I know we'll miss the nights where you can sit out in the garden with daylight still till almost 10pm like we did in the UK, but hey, you can't have everything!

Today was the equivalent to November in the UK and yet again mid 20's, clear blue sky and glorious sun ALL day long! ...

I'm happy to swap the long nights for this ANY DAY! ...
Old May 24th 2006, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks in advance
CLaire
x
Yes it does get dark early, but I guess you get used to it.

And just think of those lovely warm winter days, better than being able to sit out in the evening for a couple of months during the height of the UK summer.

Also it doesnt get dark at 3.30 like it does in the UK.
Old May 24th 2006, 9:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul&Nic
Yeah must admit it's kinda weird. As nice as it is having the sun all the time it does go down by 5pm at the mo, and they tell me even in the summer your lucky to see it still at 7.30pm!

I know we'll miss the nights where you can sit out in the garden with daylight still till almost 10pm like we did in the UK, but hey, you can't have everything!

Today was the equivalent to November in the UK and yet again mid 20's, clear blue sky and glorious sun ALL day long! ...

I'm happy to swap the long nights for this ANY DAY! ...
5pm what time have you got your watch on Not dark until 6 - bigggg difference

Don't mind it to be honest, in summer (not experienced Spring yet) and early Autumn it's still nice sitting out when it's dark and warm. Now though, I am really cold by 7 or 8 - but then I do feel the cold really badly and I know this isn't really cold yet but it is to me

As Paul said, having the days so bright and sunny makes up for the dark.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:10 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
5pm what time have you got your watch on Not dark until 6 - bigggg difference

Don't mind it to be honest, in summer (not experienced Spring yet) and early Autumn it's still nice sitting out when it's dark and warm. Now though, I am really cold by 7 or 8 - but then I do feel the cold really badly and I know this isn't really cold yet but it is to me

As Paul said, having the days so bright and sunny makes up for the dark.
Sunset was 17.04 today if you really want to be pedantic, the O.P did say sunset not dark

Back on topic quickly
I don't mind the dark summer evenings, it's warm enough to sit outside if you can brave the mossies. The dark really isn't a problem now we have that electrickery stuff here in QLD, it's daylight so bloody early in the morning you want to be up and about at 5am so we're gradually succumbing to the bed by 10 PM Queenslander thing :scared:
Old May 24th 2006, 10:18 am
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cresta57
so we're gradually succumbing to the bed by 10 PM Queenslander thing :scared:
Yeah I'm working on that bit ...
Old May 24th 2006, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'm working on that bit ...
I do that here in the UK anyway. I am a morning person. Unfortunately Mrs ManxFamily isn't.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by manxfamily
I do that here in the UK anyway. I am a morning person. Unfortunately Mrs ManxFamily isn't.
Yeah I hope to one day be up at 5am and in bed by 9 or 10, but so far it's been up at 7am ish and bed at ..... err ..... gone midnight most of the time ...

Still, after working nights in the UK for 10 years, I can't complain ...
Old May 24th 2006, 11:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I left work at 5.30 tonight (Brisbane) and although it wasn't pitch dark, you certainly couldn't call it daylight.
The further south you go, the longer it stays light - and I'll guess that down the Gold Coast where Moneypen is it may have been 6, but here it was 5.30.
After three years I still miss the long summer evenings of the UK. I have tried to adjust but my body clock just doesn't like mornings, and is at its best late at night. The fact that it always gets dark early here is one of things I really dislike - I also miss the twilight - once it starts to get dark here it is really dark very quickly.
If its anything like last night it will also be cold - 4 degrees last night, lovely! I could do without the humidity dropping to 15% though :scared:

Edit - have just looked at todays figures and now know why I have felt so drained all day - SIX % humidity at lunchtime........get me outta here!

Last edited by Pollyana; May 24th 2006 at 11:22 am.
Old May 24th 2006, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

flump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the roughflump is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: early dark nights??

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I left work at 5.30 tonight (Brisbane) and although it wasn't pitch dark, you certainly couldn't call it daylight.
The further south you go, the longer it stays light - and I'll guess that down the Gold Coast where Moneypen is it may have been 6, but here it was 5.30.
After three years I still miss the long summer evenings of the UK. I have tried to adjust but my body clock just doesn't like mornings, and is at its best late at night. The fact that it always gets dark early here is one of things I really dislike - I also miss the twilight - once it starts to get dark here it is really dark very quickly.
If its anything like last night it will also be cold - 4 degrees last night, lovely! I could do without the humidity dropping to 15% though :scared:

Edit - have just looked at todays figures and now know why I have felt so drained all day - SIX % humidity at lunchtime........get me outta here!
Forgive me for asking, but i'm not really upto much on the humidity thing, What is 15% humidity like and why is 6 worse? I thought the higher the humidity the worse it is? Sorry, i know its a bit of a 'doh' question but thought while its on that subject i'd ask!!
Thanks
Claire
Old May 24th 2006, 12:04 pm
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

What happned to day light savings in QLD?
When I talked to my uncle on the GC he says that they had a vote on whether to use DLS or not and it was voted out, apparently because farmers where complaining about their cattle not knowing what time it was (bloody clever cattle if they do know what time it is!!) and women whinging about their curtains being subjected to the sun more and they will fade quicker.

Apparently a company having an office in QLD and one in NSW would lose 2 hours per day in communication productivity i.e. 1 hour lost either side of the working day and 2 hours during different dinner breaks.

I would have thought that people would welcome it as a good thing?

I must admit when I was in Newcastle in February it was nice having the sun until 8:00pm in the evenings, families were going out for walks etc, then when I was up Brisbane there wasn't much time to go for a walk after work and having tea etc.

We are planning to move to Brisbane soon and I would welcome DLS.

cheers
Old May 24th 2006, 12:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Forgive me for asking, but i'm not really upto much on the humidity thing, What is 15% humidity like and why is 6 worse? I thought the higher the humidity the worse it is? Sorry, i know its a bit of a 'doh' question but thought while its on that subject i'd ask!!
Thanks
Claire
It depends on how you feel. High humidity just makes you feel soggy but when it's really low, it dries you out so if you're not careful you end up like a dried prune literally. Some people suffer ecxema and it is made far worse by no moisture in the air, skin just dries and flakes off and is agony.

Imagine you were a tomato someone was turning into a sun dried one as opposed to a nice fresh juicy one.

Nice, huh?
Old May 24th 2006, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Imagine you were a tomato
I'm trying but it aint working ...

Old May 24th 2006, 12:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

I'm trying but it aint working ...

You know your problem - not enough brain food .......... bananas

More worryingly, I have no problem imagining I am a tomato
Old May 24th 2006, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of lightOzzy dog is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

Quick answer - yes it does. I really dislike the dark evenings, but you can still sit out. This time last year when we'd only been here a couple of months we thought the weather was still lovely and invited friends for a BBQ - we thought it was lovely, all the ozzies had blankets round them by the end of the evening

Hubby was explaining to his apprentice that the nights in the UK could stay light till 10pm when the day had been clear - apprentice asked, 'how do you get to sleep in the daylight?' Thought this was funny. But....... I have observed that many people here seem to go to bed early and get up early - compliments the situation I spose.

As for vote on DLS, many said to me that they thought it also didn't get voted in as people were apathetic and thought it was a done deal therefore didn't vote.

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.