Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

e651 - Due to fly next week - HELP!!

e651 - Due to fly next week - HELP!!

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: e651 - Due to fly next week - HELP!!

Originally Posted by brissybound
Thanks for all the advise guys. The problem is my agent has all the relevant documentation for my RRV. For me to get all that back or dig it all out it would take ages. There is an awful lot of documentation due to the circumstances why I didn't return. Hospital documents from when I was in my coma. Spoke to my agent today and his adamant that an RRV at this time would definitely not get cleared in a week, he said it can take months.

I don't doubt Brit's credentials at all btw and I wish I had come on here earlier. Still e651 is sitting at 'further assessment'. The reality is if it is not granted in 6 more working days then that's that. I will cancel immediately and at least know my residency is safe. However it's definitely soul destroying. I would rather just go the holiday as I feel way too old now to relocate back to Oz.

The agent (who came highly recommended) said that he always puts clients through on e651 or ETA's after their residency travel period has expired. He says as long as it was just a family holiday and I wanted my family to experience Oz before submitting an application to re-enter as a perm resident there is never a problem?He was genuinely confused as to why its has taken so long but I did get correspondence saying they have a very heavy backlog and shouldn't have booked flights until any visa was granted. If only there was an actual human being you could speak to over the phone that could help you. This is the bit that kills me the most. It's infuriating. I honestly dont think my daughter will last 4 weeks without me my partner is almost certain of that as well. Whole thing is a complete mess.

Thanks again especially Brit/ If it had been 2 weeks earlier I would have but Im just terrified now to do anything and just praying that the status changes from 'assessment' to 'granted' before the end of the week.
The agent (who came highly recommended) said that he always puts clients through on e651 or ETA's after their residency travel period has expired. He says as long as it was just a family holiday and I wanted my family to experience Oz before submitting an application to re-enter as a perm resident there is never a problem?
Have never seen the 'family holiday/experiencing Oz' cited as an exception to the rule Sorry, but I think your agent is a lemon.

Having said that, if you don't really want to return to Oz to live then being granted the e651 and losing your PR wouldn't be an issue for you, so I hope it comes through for you in time for you to go on the holiday with your partner and daughter.

I can't find where, but for some reason I'm thinking you said you were 46? If that's the case, and I'm being very sneaky now, getting a PR visa for Australia again would more than likely be off the table for you now, so you can explain to your partner that unfortunately you've missed the boat. No matter how much she wants to move over, she can't argue with that! (I must have picked up my sneakiness from Scouse)

Best of British to you Jamie, let us know what happens! Cheers.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The agent (who came highly recommended) said that he always puts clients through on e651 or ETA's after their residency travel period has expired. He says as long as it was just a family holiday and I wanted my family to experience Oz before submitting an application to re-enter as a perm resident there is never a problem?
Have never seen the 'family holiday/experiencing Oz' cited as an exception to the rule Sorry, but I think your agent is a lemon.

Having said that, if you don't really want to return to Oz to live then being granted the e651 and losing your PR wouldn't be an issue for you, so I hope it comes through for you in time for you to go on the holiday with your partner and daughter.

I can't find where, but for some reason I'm thinking you said you were 46? If that's the case, and I'm being very sneaky now, getting a PR visa for Australia again would more than likely be off the table for you now, so you can explain to your partner that unfortunately you've missed the boat. No matter how much she wants to move over, she can't argue with that! (I must have picked up my sneakiness from Scouse)

Cheers Spouse

If we were returning on an RRV (or I was) I think my age would have been fine. I get that applying from scratch again then there would be no chance of getting a new skilled visa.

I dont think my partner appreciates how long and drawn out all the visa stuff is as well as being ultra expensive. I mean has anyone ever heard of having to wait 2 weeks or longer to get a simple yes or no on an e651? Of course if it does get granted and we are all starry eyed about returning to Oz and this tourist visa has killed it stone dead I would be furious.

Right now though its just about being able to get on that flight. :-(

From the official website:

Returning to Australia without a permanent visa that has a valid travel facility (for example, entering Australia on an ETA or visitor visa) may impact both your:
  • entitlements as a permanent resident
  • ability to satisfy the permanent residence requirements when applying for Australian citizenship or when applying for another Resident Return visa.
It does look worrying but doesn't say that you will definitely lose it?

Whole thing is driving me nuts now.

Last edited by brissybound; Dec 2nd 2019 at 12:21 pm. Reason: Additional info
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybound
Cheers Spouse

If we were returning on an RRV (or I was) I think my age would have been fine. I get that applying from scratch again then there would be no chance of getting a new skilled visa.

I dont think my partner appreciates how long and drawn out all the visa stuff is as well as being ultra expensive. I mean has anyone ever heard of having to wait 2 weeks or longer to get a simple yes or no on an e651? Of course if it does get granted and we are all starry eyed about returning to Oz and this tourist visa has killed it stone dead I would be furious.

Right now though its just about being able to get on that flight. :-(
Oh yes, you're right there, no problem at all with your age if you're eligible for a RRV. Only you can decide between letting your e651 stand and risking your PR, or cancelling it. It's really a decision about short or long term priorities I guess. Whichever way it goes I do wish you the best of luck. Please do let us know how you go, it'll be very useful information for those coming after you
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

brissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond reputebrissybound has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, you're right there, no problem at all with your age if you're eligible for a RRV. Only you can decide between letting your e651 stand and risking your PR, or cancelling it. It's really a decision about short or long term priorities I guess. Whichever way it goes I do wish you the best of luck. Please do let us know how you go, it'll be very useful information for those coming after you
I will keep you all updated. No worries there. :-)
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know over my years on here I have seen people report back with both outcomes in similar situations - People who have gone for an ETA for a holiday and ended up with their PR cancelled and not able to get it back AND people who have gone for an ETA for a holiday, had PR cancelled as a result, but have appealed and got their PR reinstated.
However I think everyone I've seen posting about it has just gone for the ETA themselves without thinking of the consequences. I've certainly never before heard of an agent recommending getting an ETA without trying the RRV route first
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know over my years on here I have seen people report back with both outcomes in similar situations - People who have gone for an ETA for a holiday and ended up with their PR cancelled and not able to get it back AND people who have gone for an ETA for a holiday, had PR cancelled as a result, but have appealed and got their PR reinstated.
However I think everyone I've seen posting about it has just gone for the ETA themselves without thinking of the consequences. I've certainly never before heard of an agent recommending getting an ETA without trying the RRV route first
Hey Pollyana

We only just booked the flights a couple of months ago to be fair.

The issue would have been if I got a 3 month RRV or a 12 month. While he felt the chances were good for a 12 month RRV he couldn't guarantee it. A 3 month RRV would have meant I would have had a 3 month window to fly in and out and we were still saving for the flight. I did ask for him to just go for it but by the time I finally got everything together my then the issue was 2 fold:

1. 3 month expired before we even flew out
2. Too short notice to make the flight

In hindsight I should have came on here and asked for further advise. If my PR does get cancelled I will definitely be getting my money back or at least trying to from my agent. He seems absolutely fine with me going over on a tourist visa. He says people unwittingly do it all the time and its one of the more common things he has to deal with when people travel back on e651/ETA's and then further down the line get a bit of hassle going for their RRV?

If it had a been a straight 12 months guaranteed I would never have bothered with the ETA. But like I said earlier Im not sure my heart is in going back as a PR. If we had been granted a 3 month RRV then it would have just expired i feel as we only really got the money together to pay for the flights quite recently.

Cheers
Brissy

Last edited by brissybound; Dec 2nd 2019 at 4:04 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2019, 12:26 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

One missed Christmas is a small price to pay if you have any intention of returning to Australia. If you are planning an imminent return then it would be, frankly, utterly foolish and self-defeating to proceed with your 651 application. I also wouldn’t be touching your agent with a barge pole if they cannot get something as important as this correct.