E-tax help

Old Oct 8th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of
Default E-tax help

Moved to Oz in May and started work immediately and so I have to fill out an e-tax claim. Was in full-time employment in the UK until the day I left and was paid until the end of May due to holiday owed to me.
On the e-tax claim, section 19 refers to foreign source income, I guess I include my UK salary (take home pay only?) but which period do I include (1st July 2006 onwards?)
I've submitted a P85 to claim back the UK tax I've paid in April & May but it is still being processed so don't know how much refund I'll get back.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-tax help

Originally Posted by rockpeblar
Moved to Oz in May and started work immediately and so I have to fill out an e-tax claim. Was in full-time employment in the UK until the day I left and was paid until the end of May due to holiday owed to me.
On the e-tax claim, section 19 refers to foreign source income, I guess I include my UK salary (take home pay only?) but which period do I include (1st July 2006 onwards?)
I've submitted a P85 to claim back the UK tax I've paid in April & May but it is still being processed so don't know how much refund I'll get back.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.
No, somewhere in the e-tax thing it asks for if you have been here for the full year, and if not, what date did you arrive. You enter the date that you arrived in Australia, and then they are only interested in your income after that date, and your tax is worked out based on that.
You've already been taxed on the UK wages, this just deals with your tax here.

The foreign source income bit would only apply to any income from a foreign source AFTER you became an Aus tex re3sident.
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
No, somewhere in the e-tax thing it asks for if you have been here for the full year, and if not, what date did you arrive. You enter the date that you arrived in Australia, and then they are only interested in your income after that date, and your tax is worked out based on that.
You've already been taxed on the UK wages, this just deals with your tax here.

The foreign source income bit would only apply to any income from a foreign source AFTER you became an Aus tex re3sident.
Many Thanks
Old Oct 9th 2007, 9:56 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

You can also phone a help line for Etax if you have any queries, I did a return for my son who had been made redundant and he had all sorts of amounts to go on there in different places, under different letters, I just couldnt get my head around it

The guy on the helpline was lovely, and he didnt make me feel stupid