e-tax

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:43 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default e-tax

How easy is it to do your tax return online?
Got a letter in yesterday asking us if we wanted to do it this way
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 12:45 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: e-tax

Originally Posted by biggy
How easy is it to do your tax return online?
Got a letter in yesterday asking us if we wanted to do it this way
Quick, easy and refunds within 10 days.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Quick, easy and refunds within 10 days.
thanks for the reply....am I right in saying that I can also claim the family tax benefit though this
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:10 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

thanks for the reply....am I right in saying that I can also claim the family tax benefit though this
I believe thats right, yes
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 1:30 am

ta muchly
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:15 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Do you also know whether they give tax returns to people who have not yet earned $6000?

I think i read on a form that you shouldn't get taxed until you have earned $6000?! Is this true and do you know whether it is possible to get it back on our tax return?

Cheers
Sam
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Do you also know whether they give tax returns to people who have not yet earned $6000?

I think i read on a form that you shouldn't get taxed until you have earned $6000?! Is this true and do you know whether it is possible to get it back on our tax return?

Cheers
Sam
The $6,000 figure is correct, but it is calculated pro rata, so if you have been here for only 6 months, they will allow you to earn $3,000 before Tax is due.

However, an employer will only pro rata it on a weekly basis. Therefore, no matter how long you have been here they will allow only (6,000/52) as tax free each week.
Unlike the UK system, they do NOT accumulate these figures weekly.

But, it all comes out in the wash after June 30th, and almost every taxpayer seems to get a tax rebate after the Tax Return goes in

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:34 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The $6,000 figure is correct, but it is calculated pro rata, so if you have been here for only 6 months, they will allow you to earn $3,000 before Tax is due.

However, an employer will only pro rata it on a weekly basis. Therefore, no matter how long you have been here they will allow only (6,000/52) as tax free each week.
Unlike the UK system, they do NOT accumulate these figures weekly.

But, it all comes out in the wash after June 30th, and almost every taxpayer seems to get a tax rebate after the Tax Return goes in

Thanks that's really helpful.
Sam
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:35 am
ABCDiamond

Regarding the Family Tax Benefit (FTB), if you end up having claimed more than you are entitled to by the end of the financial year, then any overpayment will be reclaimed from you in the final Tax Assessement.

This can occur in various ways, but the main way is when a person first claims FTB, and they are probably on a low income. As their income rises, and because the amount of FTB is based on income, it is possible that you can end up having been paid too much.
That is the main reason why you will see advertising telling people to update Centrelink with your current income. They do this to try to help people avoid getting themselves into that trap.

eg: assume a family claims FTB, at the beginning of the year, when their income is $20,000 per year.
But then if they change jobs and get $150,000 py, and still claim FTB based on $20,000 py (it happens), they will then end up with benefits that they are not really entitled to, based on their total annual income. And this will be taken back by the ATO.

Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Regarding the Family Tax Benefit (FTB), if you end up having claimed more than you are entitled to by the end of the financial year, then any overpayment will be reclaimed from you in the final Tax Assessement.

This can occur in various ways, but the main way is when a person first claims FTB, and they are probably on a low income. As their income rises, and because the amount of FTB is based on income, it is possible that you can end up having been paid too much.
That is the main reason why you will see advertising telling people to update Centrelink with your current income. They do this to try to help people avoid getting themselves into that trap.

eg: assume a family claims FTB, at the beginning of the year, when their income is $20,000 per year.
But then if they change jobs and get $150,000 py, and still claim FTB based on $20,000 py (it happens), they will then end up with benefits that they are not really entitled to, based on their total annual income. And this will be taken back by the ATO.
I havent claimed any FTB yet as we thought it would be best to get it at the end of the year, if we had it in our grubby paws we would just spend it on vino lol....this way we can put it towards our mortgage.......och how sensible r we.........or then again it may go into the pool fund hehe

Last edited by biggy; Jun 22nd 2005 at 4:00 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2005, 3:46 am
ABCDiamond

I havent claimed any FTB yet as we thought it would be best to get it at the end of the year, if we had it in our grubby paws we would just spend it on vino lol....this wat we can put it towards our mortgage.......och how sensible r we.........or then again it may go into the pool fund hehe
If you can afford to do it that way, then that is the safest way to claim it.