Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

e-petition to have daylight savings in QLD

Wikiposts

e-petition to have daylight savings in QLD

Old Dec 18th 2005, 12:43 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: e-petition to have daylight savings in QLD

They will be sick of us Brits signing petitions... ...will do.

If it got light at 5.30 instead of 4.30 may sleep longer and do you think the crows would?
Old Dec 18th 2005, 1:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Some info for people to know the History of Daylight Saving here:

Daylight saving was first adopted in World War I to save fuel, by cutting down on artificial lighting. But in Australia, it proved so unpopular after it was introduced in 1917, that it was abandoned the very same year.

In Australia, the Federal Government introduced one-hour daylight saving in 1942, during World War II. It remained in force until 1944.

That was the end of daylight saving for us until 1967, when Tasmania introduced one-hour daylight saving.

In 1971, after much controversy and discussion, one-hour daylight saving was introduced into New South Wales, Victoria and the A.C.T.

Queensland, most of which is in the tropics and which would therefore not get much benefit from daylight saving, reluctantly joined in, but soon abandoned daylight saving.

In 1974, Western Australia adopted one-hour daylight saving, but it was thrown out by a referendum in 1975.

New South Wales decided to adopt daylight saving permanently after a referendum in 1976

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/moments/s689016.htm

In the 1992 QLD referendum
45.5% voted for Daylight Saving (744,686 votes)
54.5% voted against it (882,119 votes)
137,433 majority to stay without it.

And in a recent vote by the "ABC Western Queensland"
Should Queensland hold another referendum on daylight saving?
How would you vote?

Yes - I'm for daylight saving 34%
No - Definitely don't want daylight saving 64%
Not sure or wouldn't mind either way 2%

But eventually the migrants will outnumber the locals, and QLD will have to change.

If it was done Shire by Shire, Redlands voted 11,000 Yes to 7,000 No, but the Tablelands voted 1,800 Yes to 16,600 No.

Old Dec 19th 2005, 5:53 am

Can't see how lower Queensland won't gain though as you get the hour extra light after work when you can do something instead of while in bed on a morning.

People in far north can continue doing things at times they always did but at least at this end you would gain.
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annqldau
Hi

If you would rather try and have daylight saving in QLD sign this petition

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/EPe...=553&PetType=1

I would like a bit more light after work and the cow's can still be milked at the same time as farmers can get up at the same time they always have... .
all up for it here . signed . x
Old Dec 19th 2005, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by annqldau
Can't see how lower Queensland won't gain though as you get the hour extra light after work when you can do something instead of while in bed on a morning.

People in far north can continue doing things at times they always did but at least at this end you would gain.
In my view this petition should be asking for a separate time zone for SE QLD only.
Leave the rest of QLD as it is, and the way the majority there actually want it, but change in the South East only, to the way the majority here want it.

Having a proposal for the entire State stands a chance of failing again.

Old Dec 20th 2005, 6:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: e-petition to have daylight savings in QLD

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hmmm an insomniac somnambulist naturist solotheist..........

Cheers

Buzzy
Thanks for the Karma ADL.

I had to make up "solotheist" as I couldn't find a word for sun worshipper, well I figured if "sol" is greek for sun and "theist" is greek for "one who believes" it will have to do.

Or some such crap anyway.............

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 21st 2005, 9:18 am

I agree ABC as the far North do not seem to gain as much splitting it would be good but we will just have to hope that Telstra's crap internet access stops them signing the opposition poll.

I would love to come home and have an extra hour of daylight as would do more with it after work than before... even if it is sitting outside having a beer... .
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 10:15 am

Wonder what Santa would do with daylight saving?
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

cantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to allcantwait is a name known to all

All up for that hear too.
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 7:32 pm

Aussies wouldn't know what to do having an hour extra in the evening would go to bed at 7 instead of 8 probably...LOL... we would at least sit outside without getting eaten... .
Old Jan 2nd 2006, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

katiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura aboutkatiesel has a spectacular aura about

Signed, thanks for the link, lets hope it gets through this time
Old Jan 4th 2006, 9:39 am

I ca def think of more to do after work than before...LOL.

Couldn't give a dam if it is sunny while i'm asleep.