Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dyson and other electricals

Dyson and other electricals

Old May 17th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice
Default Dyson and other electricals

Hi BEP’s

I am thinking of taking a brand new Dyson DC25 with me from UK still boxed to avoid damage.

I have looked in online stores in Oz (Big Pond) and another I can’t remember.
In OZ the Dyson costs approx $830 plus $20 delivery which I work out to around 505GBP plus delivery.
From Amazon UK including UK delivery it costs 227GBP.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but unless my figures are way out that is a hell of a mark up more than double in fact.

Are there any other electrical items or anything else in fact that you guys that have already made the move would advise taking with us rather than waiting to buy out there.

I might as well fill the container to the limit.
Old May 17th 2010, 9:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dyson and other electricals

We bought out a brand new Dyson in it's original box. A lot more money here sadly. Electricals are expensive here so if you have room in the container bring what you can. Only thing I wouldn't bother with would be a brand new fridge/freezer but if you have an old one then bring it, always useful to have two.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BriBri UK
Hi BEP’s

I am thinking of taking a brand new Dyson DC25 with me from UK still boxed to avoid damage.

In OZ the Dyson costs approx $830 plus $20 delivery which I work out to around 505GBP plus delivery.

Please correct me if I’m wrong but unless my figures are way out that is a hell of a mark up more than double in fact.

Are there any other electrical items or anything else in fact that you guys that have already made the move would advise taking with us rather than waiting to buy out there.

I bought out 2 Dysons - one used and one brand new. Still using the old one 4 years later - waiting for new carpets to go down.

Have recently had to buy a couple of spare parts - very easy via dyson.com.au

I also upgraded my Bosch washer and dryer before I came out.

To put it simply bring as much as you can - electricals, books, clothing, etc.

Very little here is cheaper or of the same quality.

HTH
Old May 17th 2010, 2:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi BEP’s

A quick search online gave me a price of $659 plus delivery for this item. Not quite as cheap as the UK but not as bad as your price makes out. Also being armed with this info and negotiating with The Good Guys, Retravision etc will probably enable you to get it cheaper still.

Overall, I reckon the price of electrical goods is similar to the UK - some cheaper, some the same, some more expensive.
Old May 18th 2010, 12:38 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
We bought out a brand new Dyson in it's original box. A lot more money here sadly. Electricals are expensive here so if you have room in the container bring what you can. Only thing I wouldn't bother with would be a brand new fridge/freezer but if you have an old one then bring it, always useful to have two.
You just need to be prepared to change the plug
Old May 18th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

I so wish id brought my Dyson, your right they are expensive here probably as uprights are just not that common like in the UK.

Be wary of shipping it in its original box though, if customs pick up on it being new you will be charged tax as everything you ship out should be over 12 months old, unless declared.

Cal x
Old May 18th 2010, 4:30 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by calNgary
I so wish id brought my Dyson, your right they are expensive here probably as uprights are just not that common like in the UK.

Be wary of shipping it in its original box though, if customs pick up on it being new you will be charged tax as everything you ship out should be over 12 months old, unless declared.

Cal x
We weren't and I've not heard of anyone on here who ever has been. Customs and AQIS are only interested in quantities of the same item not one that is most likely for personal use. I imagine if you were to bring 5 over, they'd take an interest though.
Old May 18th 2010, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

gmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud ofgmralston has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mark213
You just need to be prepared to change the plug
Makes me cringe to do that, cut of decent fused plugs to put on those crappy, nasty, upsidedown-sideways oz plugs on.
Old May 18th 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Katehn will become famous soon enoughKatehn will become famous soon enough

Hi BEP’s

I wish that I had bought a condensor tumble dryer before moving here. They are very expensive here. Even the normal tumble dryers are expensive
Old May 18th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

Cal x
Going to declare our washing machine we have just bought. Our old one will not make the trip across. Will give the new one a quick run to make sure that it turns on etc.

James
Old May 18th 2010, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

BriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really niceBriBri UK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A quick search online gave me a price of $659 plus delivery for this item. Not quite as cheap as the UK but not as bad as your price makes out. Also being armed with this info and negotiating with The Good Guys, Retravision etc will probably enable you to get it cheaper still.

Overall, I reckon the price of electrical goods is similar to the UK - some cheaper, some the same, some more expensive.
Hi amazulu,

Thanks for your reply, could you tell me where you searched for that price
Old May 18th 2010, 11:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi amazulu,

Thanks for your reply, could you tell me where you searched for that price
www.shopbot.com.au
Old May 18th 2010, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

Cal x
I'm going to ship it in the original box and if I'm unfortunate enough to be checked Im going to say it's over 12 months old and I just kept the box as I knew I would be moving across the world.
The time this move is taking it would probably be over 12 months old!!
Old May 18th 2010, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Thanks again I've had a look that's certainly the best and cheapest site yet
Old May 19th 2010, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gmralston
Makes me cringe to do that, cut of decent fused plugs to put on those crappy, nasty, upsidedown-sideways oz plugs on.
Then dont....use a UK power board and just change the plug on that..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.