Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DWP and State Pension - hope we've done the right thing

DWP and State Pension - hope we've done the right thing

Old Aug 28th 2014, 11:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DWP and State Pension - hope we've done the right thing

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
The Oz govt can't and doesn't make you claim your UK pension - but as explained earlier, you need to let them know that you're eligible to claim, and what amount you'd be getting - you're then 'deemed' to be receiving that amount. It does depend on the amount of UK pension you are getting (or would get, had you not deferred), the value of your assets and investments, and any other income you receive, but the usual consequence of either receiving or being able to receive a UK pension is that this will reduce any amount of Oz pension that would otherwise have been payable.

I don't think that Scouse will be eligible for any Oz pension once I commence an allocated pension from my super, but in the interim he may be eligible for a partial one.

Lesleys - you're dead right about it would have been simpler not to send any docs at all, I did sort of suggest that to him but I think he was worried that he'd get lost in the system if he didn't let them know what he was planning It's a good lesson for anyone in a similar situation though - if you want to defer claiming your UK pension, do nothing until you're actually ready to start receiving it.

Do you know if you can claim 25 to 50 pct pct of the UK pension being the Australian spouse of a UK citizen ? I think I read something about that somewhere, and if you can, thats a loophole/bypass of the Australian system where you get means tested ? Which I take to mean you (or my aus partner) can get the UK pension despite the fact we get allocated pensions from our Aus Super if we go down that path ?

Thats a very pertinent point for us. Could make a difference on where we end up in retirement.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 28th 2014 at 11:53 am.
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the exchange rate is another consideration when choosing the timing of drawing a UK pension?

There's also the particularly insidious policy that the UK government 'freezes' the amount if you live in certain countries (eg Australia) but 'index links' it if you live in other countries. You get the strange anomaly that a person who fought in WW2 can retire on an index linked pension to Germany but it's frozen if that person retires to Australia. There's apparently 558,000 'frozen' UK pensioners living overseas:

Retiring abroad? Don't catch a cold because of the state pension freeze | Money | The Guardian
Old Aug 29th 2014, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Didn't realise that, I thought you'd been here longer than me, or at least for quite a while.
Been here just over 10 years. The temporary visa gets renewed every 10 years
Old Aug 29th 2014, 10:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if you can claim 25 to 50 pct pct of the UK pension being the Australian spouse of a UK citizen ? I think I read something about that somewhere, and if you can, thats a loophole/bypass of the Australian system where you get means tested ? Which I take to mean you (or my aus partner) can get the UK pension despite the fact we get allocated pensions from our Aus Super if we go down that path ?

Thats a very pertinent point for us. Could make a difference on where we end up in retirement.

Sorry Ozzie, I don't know that one but I wouldn't think so.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:03 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I guess the exchange rate is another consideration when choosing the timing of drawing a UK pension?

There's also the particularly insidious policy that the UK government 'freezes' the amount if you live in certain countries (eg Australia) but 'index links' it if you live in other countries. You get the strange anomaly that a person who fought in WW2 can retire on an index linked pension to Germany but it's frozen if that person retires to Australia. There's apparently 558,000 'frozen' UK pensioners living overseas:

Retiring abroad? Don't catch a cold because of the state pension freeze | Money | The Guardian
You could probably get your UK pension paid into an account over there, let it build up a bit, and then do a transfer through OzForex or similar. If you were also getting some Australian pension though, Centrelink would still treat the UK pension as being received as paid (think it's monthly?), and your Oz pension would still be reduced accordingly.

I've met quite a few people who are caught up in the UK pension freeze. It's the reason Australia opted out of its reciprocal social security agreement with the UK. While the pensions of UK origin people in Oz were frozen, thus the Oz government was having to top them up, Australia still indexed the pensions of Oz citizens living in the UK. I think Australia tried for a fair few years to get the UK to change their ruling, but they consistently refused - hence Australia opting out. It's a huge thing for UK pension drawers over here and there are a lot of groups and website dedicated to changing the UK government's mind. Good luck with that
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Quinna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Spouse,
Based on the historically high Aussie dollar and the strengthening pound I like the idea of letting it build up in the UK if you can.

Of course, currencies are fickle and it could go against you but I think the odds are stacked in you favour.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 11:48 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Quinna
Hi Spouse,
Based on the historically high Aussie dollar and the strengthening pound I like the idea of letting it build up in the UK if you can.

Of course, currencies are fickle and it could go against you but I think the odds are stacked in you favour.
Quite true Quinna, no one knows what the future holds. I still don't really know if Scouse and I will be 'better off' financially in the UK, but I'm not that bothered - as long as we can pay our bills and do a wee bit of travelling I'll be happy Going home means so much to him, so we'll make it work.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinna
Hi Spouse,

? The pound has been slightly above $1.80 for much of 2014 (the high $1.40's was last year) and lately has dipped to around $1.77 market rate. Who knows what might happen a few years down the track as there are so many variables affecting the exchange rate but certainly the outlook for now is that $1.80 seems to be the new 'par' around which the rate hovers. (To think I once moved some £'s and got $3.0490 on the trade!)

Australia Dollar Forecast Higher vs US Dollar, Euro and British Pound as Key Technical Levels are Broken
Old Aug 30th 2014, 2:59 am
BE Enthusiast

tomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond reputetomar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Been here just over 10 years. The temporary visa gets renewed every 10 years
Hi,
We are on the same visa, and been here since 2003.
Quite a few of us on the Sunshine Coast and we meet up every 2 months.
We booked in once as the 4 teners (I know it's not a real word) and they were expecting a men's singing group.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - they will only backdate a pension that hasn't been claimed by two years - if you claim after say five, you will only get the two years' backdate.

Last edited by Wol; Aug 30th 2014 at 11:04 am. Reason: Clarification of terms
Old Aug 30th 2014, 9:54 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Wol
To the OP - they will only backdate a pension deferred by two years - if you claim after say five, you will only get the two years' backdate.
Cheers Wol, I didn't know that.
Old Aug 30th 2014, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
To the OP - they will only backdate a pension deferred by two years - if you claim after say five, you will only get the two years' backdate.

Not sure what you mean exactly. Can you elaborate please? Backdate of what?
Old Aug 30th 2014, 11:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys

Not sure what you mean exactly. Can you elaborate please? Backdate of what?
Read my lips <g> You can claim a pension that has not been taken and they will pay it backdated but only for two years.

This doesn't apply of course to a deferred pension, only one that hasn't been claimed.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Thats surprised me, does that mean you've never worked in Aus ?

Apologys if thats too personal a question.
I didn't think you got an Aus pension from the government if you have sufficient income from elsewhere?
Old Aug 31st 2014, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I didn't think you got an Aus pension from the government if you have sufficient income from elsewhere?
No but you can get the UK one, is the point I'm making.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.