Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DVD's/CD's - Cheaper in UK or AUS ?

DVD's/CD's - Cheaper in UK or AUS ?

Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

eintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to alleintracht is a name known to all
Default DVD's/CD's - Cheaper in UK or AUS ?

We are looking at replacing all our Videos and LP's with DVD's and CD's for Australia but need to know whether it would be cheaper to wait until we get there to buy them or buy them in the UK now ?
I'm aware that I need a multi-regional DVD to play DVD's bought in Australia !!!

Thanks

Chris
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:48 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD's/CD's - Cheaper in UK or AUS ?

Originally posted by eintracht
We are looking at replacing all our Videos and LP's with DVD's and CD's for Australia but need to know whether it would be cheaper to wait until we get there to buy them or buy them in the UK now ?
I'm aware that I need a multi-regional DVD to play DVD's bought in Australia !!!

Thanks

Chris

Bring all your videos and your video recorder, just change the plug, then buy a DVD player here, multi region from $75. You'll get a VHS player here for about $150. I sold my vinyl before I came, wish I'd kept it but would probably have been ruined in Brisbane's climate anyway.

New release DVD's around $35, new release CD's (I think) around $25
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:49 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Chris
Hi Chris

Check out: The Good Guys website in Oz

Walla
Old Jul 9th 2004, 10:56 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Also try out www.hmv.com.au, never used it before myself but it has a search facility and prices. You should also look at the online catalogur for www.target.com.au to get some prices of many goods, they've usually got a DVD and VCR player cheap in the catalogue, you'll get one in your mail every week when you get here (the catalogue, not the DVD player)...
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Also try www.atlanticdvd.com.au andwww.ezydvd.com.au.

My sons buy all their DVDs online from one or the other and they're the ultimate penny-pinchers - they wouldn't dream of buying anything except the absolute cheapest around.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

check out http://www1.cd-wow.biz

Cheapest I've found and free delivery to Oz. aswell.

Last edited by asfry; Jul 9th 2004 at 11:49 am.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 12:05 pm
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Chris
My impression is that CDs (don't know about DVDs) tend to be cheaper in Australia. I've never done any methodical research, but that impression is quite strong. It might not be true, though, if you buy over the Internet (e.g from Amazon) - I'm talking about the prices in the shops.

Another Chris!
Old Jul 9th 2004, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm taking all my vinyl, CD's and DVD's.
If you've got old/rare/deleted stuff you probably won't be able to get hold of new copies.
Don't know what things are like nowadays but when we were in Sydney 5 years ago talking to Aussies about music we found that they were unlikely to have heard of any but the most widely known British bands. I imagine that this would mean a lot of the records I've got were probably only available on import in Oz.

I've already checked out a couple of online dance stores, try
www.vinylwarning.com.au, sorry don't have the other one to hand at the mo.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

JBHIFI is the plaace to go

www.jbhifi.com.au
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:46 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by jerzy
Don't know what things are like nowadays but when we were in Sydney 5 years ago talking to Aussies about music we found that they were unlikely to have heard of any but the most widely known British bands. I imagine that this would mean a lot of the records I've got were probably only available on import in Oz.
I don't think it's quite that simple. There are some bands that are really obscure in the UK but much better known in Oz, and vice versa of course. It's all down to marketing. I managed to get a particular couple of CDs on the Oz high street with no effort at all, after having no luck at all in the UK. Same in NZ. Pot luck really.
Old Jul 9th 2004, 3:49 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
I don't think it's quite that simple. There are some bands that are really obscure in the UK but much better known in Oz, and vice versa of course. It's all down to marketing. I managed to get a particular couple of CDs on the Oz high street with no effort at all, after having no luck at all in the UK. Same in NZ. Pot luck really.
good thinking. ive got a pal here whos never heard of travis and hes a scot
Old Jul 9th 2004, 4:43 pm
Class 2 Guru

Location: Where the stars look very diff-e-rent today... and tomorrow!
MarkMyWords will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by soapy
good thinking. ive got a pal here whos never heard of travis and hes a scot
Wot, Dave Lee Travis? (ho ho).
Old Jul 9th 2004, 6:34 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MarkMyWords
Totally agree, bloody marketing - same goes for DVDs - it can depend where they are released. Our family happen to like Buffy and buying the series here in Aus would set me back a fortune if I waited for them to be released here and then paid market price when they have already been released in the UK and now are cheaper .

Example Series 7 on Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/ is now 30 pounds but on http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/225702 will cost me $149.95

of course check shipping but our last batch of videos/dvds from amazon cost 3 pounds postage.

Ok so I am a sad bugger in this case, but we have found shopping around - the world over pays.

Also very annoying packaging changes country to country (not important for everyone) but can be!

Cheers Sandra