DVD Recorder

Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:45 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default DVD Recorder

Can anyone out there recommend a DVD recorder/burner jobbie?

Looking primarily to hook my camcorder (via the TV?) to it, and burn a DVD the folks back in the UK can drool over.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Jon
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:49 am
Ocean Reef

Location: Landed in Perth July'06 & now freezing in Melbourne! Brisbane Bound soon and lovin it everyday!
luchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud ofluchi has much to be proud of
Default Re: DVD Recorder

Just a thought, might be cheaper to get a PC with one in as the DVD might not work over here

Originally Posted by wargod

Looking primarily to hook my camcorder (via the TV?) to it, and burn a DVD the folks back in the UK can drool over.

Any ideas??

Cheers

Jon
Old Oct 10th 2006, 12:52 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luchi
Just a thought, might be cheaper to get a PC with one in as the DVD might not work over here
I thought that too, but not sure how to stream the cam corder output into my pc
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:31 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas??

Cheers

Jon
can't remember the price but I bought one from one of the lectrical shops, Good Guys or Betta Electrical. It is an NEC 50 DR (something like that). Works perfectly and was quite cheap. Does exactly what you want it to do. I gave up trying to get my PC to do it!

Andrew
Old Oct 10th 2006, 2:46 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by andrew63
can't remember the price but I bought one from one of the lectrical shops, Good Guys or Betta Electrical. It is an NEC 50 DR (something like that). Works perfectly and was quite cheap. Does exactly what you want it to do. I gave up trying to get my PC to do it!

Andrew
Cheers for that - karma on its way !!
Old Oct 10th 2006, 3:11 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Any ideas??

Cheers

Jon
Dick Smith have an offer on a DVD recorder right now - it's about $200 if I recall correctly. Shouldn't have any problems with home recorded DVD's - it's only commercial ones that are region encoded.

S
Old Oct 10th 2006, 4:52 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that - karma on its way !!
Also, I have a JVC DVD at home that cannot be de-regionalised so I was worried about doing that for the NEC.
I emailed NEC and they emailed me the instructions how to de-zone the recorder.
Pretty good service!

http://www.nec.com.au/about_news_detail.aspx?view=19

Actually think I paid around $330.

Andrew
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

I thought that too, but not sure how to stream the cam corder output into my pc
Well does your camcorder have a firewire connection? And does your pc? If yes, get a cable, connect the two together and away you go. Should all be in the camcorder handbook, plus there is heaps of information out there on the web.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 5:50 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by cyclemark
Well does your camcorder have a firewire connection? And does your pc? If yes, get a cable, connect the two together and away you go. Should all be in the camcorder handbook, plus there is heaps of information out there on the web.
It has a USB connection, and to be honest i have manged to download a few movies onto my OC - but they are friggin massive !
Old Oct 10th 2006, 6:25 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Depend what you mean by massive. A DVD will hold 4GB which should easily be 1.5hours+ of download from your camera. If your PC disk is too small just buy an additional external hard drive.
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:12 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

Originally Posted by jayr
Depend what you mean by massive. A DVD will hold 4GB which should easily be 1.5hours+ of download from your camera. If your PC disk is too small just buy an additional external hard drive.
I'd have to check my laptop, but i am sure they are bigger than 4 gigs, and for about 60mins worth of taping
Old Oct 10th 2006, 11:25 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I'd have to check my laptop, but i am sure they are bigger than 4 gigs, and for about 60mins worth of taping
They come in 4.7 or 8 Gb versions - The 8 Gb ones are dual layered though, and not re-writable. They cost a fortune too, so if you balls it up, that's $10 out of the window!

S
Old Oct 11th 2006, 12:47 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

We have an LG DVD recorder with a harddrive, its great for doing exactly what you want to do, you can also edit your footage on it too, when we bought it I think it was about $720 but they are cheaper now.
Old Oct 11th 2006, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex-Lancashire, ex-Northern suburbs, Perth WA, now Switzerland
cyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura aboutcyclemark has a spectacular aura about

It has a USB connection, and to be honest i have manged to download a few movies onto my OC - but they are friggin massive !
Probably still in avi format. You can reduce the size by converting to a wmv file, although you might lose some quality this way.
You need to look at Windows Movie Maker on the Microsoft website and also at http://www.papajohn.org/