Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DVD player question

DVD player question

Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:58 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default DVD player question

Don't you know how the UK and OZ DVD players have different regional codes which means DVD's made in one country don't work in the other, l think its to stop video piracy. l'm thinking of giving someone an Aussie DVD player to take back to the UK so l will be able to post him Aussie DVD's to watch. Its probably a stupid question but l want to make sure that you are allowed to bring an Aussie DVD player into the UK, There is'nt some law in the UK that says only DVD players with UK code are allowed under copyright laws of something.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:02 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DVD player question

Originally Posted by mohogony
Don't you know how the UK and OZ DVD players have different regional codes which means DVD's made in one country don't work in the other, l think its to stop video piracy. l'm thinking of giving someone an Aussie DVD player to take back to the UK so l will be able to post him Aussie DVD's to watch. Its probably a stupid question but l want to make sure that you are allowed to bring an Aussie DVD player into the UK, There is'nt some law in the UK that says only DVD players with UK code are allowed under copyright laws of something.
UK players will play Aussie discs and vice versa. They both use PAL and region 2 (UK) and 4 (Aus) are compatible,
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:22 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stevemich
UK players will play Aussie discs and vice versa. They both use PAL and region 2 (UK) and 4 (Aus) are compatible,
Thanks.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:31 pm
ABCDiamond

Many players these days are multi region, but the one I brought from the UK, region 2, will only play region 2 discs, not the Aus Region 4 discs.
REGION 2 - Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
REGION 4 - Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
REGION 0 - Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide, however, PAL discs must be played in a PAL-compatible unit and NTSC discs must be played in an NTSC-compatible unit.
There are actually 9 region codes.

Old Mar 24th 2009, 11:34 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

you can unlock the region codes.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
WRONG - they are not compatible. You will need a multi-region or unlocked player. I've a few UK DVD's that will only play on an unlocked player and I know people who have sent Australian DVD's back to the UK and they cannot play them if the machine is locked.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:44 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
WRONG - they are not compatible. You will need a multi-region or unlocked player. I've a few UK DVD's that will only play on an unlocked player and I know people who have sent Australian DVD's back to the UK and they cannot play them if the machine is locked.
You could always just look up your model on the net and search for "multi region unlock code". Generally all you have to do is just press a sequence of buttons to enable it.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 12:56 am
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all

Thats what we did.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

We just bought a blu-ray player and that seems to play both uk and aus dvds. Our old one didnt and we couldnt get the unlock code to work. My husband was not too upset to buy the blu-ray player
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daydreamer123
We just bought a blu-ray player and that seems to play both uk and aus dvds. Our old one didnt and we couldnt get the unlock code to work. My husband was not too upset to buy the blu-ray player
Blu-ray players are a whole other world of pain. I rented Quantum of Solace at the weekend on blu-ray and it wouldn't play. I had to upgrade the firmware on the player using the internet and a usb key to make it work. Easy enough if you know what you are doing, but how does the average punter work that one out ?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

That sounds ominous. Ours just worked first time, beginners luck or trouble down the line???
Old Mar 25th 2009, 4:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Blu-ray players are a whole other world of pain. I rented Quantum of Solace at the weekend on blu-ray and it wouldn't play. I had to upgrade the firmware on the player using the internet and a usb key to make it work. Easy enough if you know what you are doing, but how does the average punter work that one out ?
I was going to buy a blu-ray player recently but decided against it, mainly because of the issues you are having. JB have a great LG Blu-ray player for under $400 at the moment. It has a USB port and an ethernet connection. I nealy went for it but got a $150 Pioneer DVD instead.

I think I'll wait for the BR technology to mature a bit before getting one.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I was going to buy a blu-ray player recently but decided against it, mainly because of the issues you are having. JB have a great LG Blu-ray player for under $400 at the moment. It has a USB port and an ethernet connection. I nealy went for it but got a $150 Pioneer DVD instead.

I think I'll wait for the BR technology to mature a bit before getting one.
I did my research before I bought it - a Samsung DBP-1500. I made sure the firmware WAS upgradeable and that Samsung made those updates available on their website. Some Blu-Ray players cannot be updated...

Having said that, I've bought 2 films on Blu-Ray; Blade Runner and Wall-E. The picture is stunning on a HD TV, especially Blade Runner - that's a film that has been waiting for it.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:13 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
You could always just look up your model on the net and search for "multi region unlock code". Generally all you have to do is just press a sequence of buttons to enable it.
Some players will not unlock with code hacks - some (very few mind) require hardware mods but not worth it.

Bluray discs which have two regions are only hackable by hardware chip changes.

All profile 2 BluRay players must, by definition, have an ethernet port. Typically these will auto-update firmware all by themselves. This isn't true of Profile 1.0 and 1.1 players. AFAIK these can be code hacked to play all region DVDs
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:41 am
Banned

So if my friend can't unlock his DVD player and l give him an Aussie DVD player to take back with him to the UK, he is allowed to take it back with him, theres no law against taking an Aussie region DVD player into the UK becasue it could be used to breach copright or something,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.