Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

DVD compatibility

DVD compatibility

Old Jun 25th 2006, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold
Default DVD compatibility

Just a quick question to anyone out there re taking DVD's from UK with them to Oz and do they work basically...is there a badge I should look for on the back to tell me this? I'm getting mixed messages from folks at home!
Cheers,
Jayne
Old Jun 25th 2006, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

joeyfr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DVD compatibility

Originally Posted by Mike H
Just a quick question to anyone out there re taking DVD's from UK with them to Oz and do they work basically...is there a badge I should look for on the back to tell me this? I'm getting mixed messages from folks at home!
Cheers,
Jayne
Hi !

It will depend of your DVD player.
DVDs for Autralia are "Zone 4" and DVDs for Europe are "Zone 2"

If you buy your DVD player in Australia, it should be "Zone 4" compatible and you will be unable to read a Zone 2 DVD (ie a DVD you bought in UK).

Some DVD discs have no zone, so you can play them with all DVD players.
You can check the zone of your DVDs on their case.

It is also possible for you to "unlock" your DVD player. In that case, it will be able to read ALL Dvds.

Hope this help !
Old Jun 25th 2006, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Mike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to beholdMike H is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joeyfr
Hi !

It will depend of your DVD player.
DVDs for Autralia are "Zone 4" and DVDs for Europe are "Zone 2"

If you buy your DVD player in Australia, it should be "Zone 4" compatible and you will be unable to read a Zone 2 DVD (ie a DVD you bought in UK).

Some DVD discs have no zone, so you can play them with all DVD players.
You can check the zone of your DVDs on their case.

It is also possible for you to "unlock" your DVD player. In that case, it will be able to read ALL Dvds.

Hope this help !
Thanks for the info...we are leaving as much behind as we can including TV Equipments so will pay a visit to Blockbuster I think and see what they'll give me for a job lot!
Cheers,
Jayne
Old Jun 25th 2006, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Johnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond reputeJohnsyweb has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: DVD compatibility

Originally Posted by joeyfr
Indeed it is. This thread has some information on how to unlock your DVD player.

Hope this helps;

--paj
Old Jun 26th 2006, 12:34 am
Just Joined

kits is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: DVD compatibility

Cheers,
Jayne
Hi Mike.

You can buy a cheap multi region DVD player here that can play even DVD's from the UK or the US. I bought one for $60.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I will just add to this that you should be able to play most Region 2 DVDs on a Region 4 DVD player and vice versa as they are both PAL. The companies like to save money where they can so most companies will just print 1 copy of the PAL DVDs for both countries and stick a different label on it depending on which country it is going to
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:00 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

I'm not sure how they do it but some Region 4 dvd's do play on our UK dvd player and some don't !!!! We have bought over all our english dvd's and purchased a multi-region dvd player in the uk before we came over as they seem to be more readily available in the Uk than in Oz (that's our opinion anyway). If your kids have an english PS2 then obviously their PS will play all the UK dvd's anyway.

Lorraine
Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:06 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Its just a question of hacking your DVD player to make it all region, takes literally 5 minutes to do, and costs nowt.......what could be better.

This link may help: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Lucky_brumie is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: DVD compatibility

Cheers,
Jayne

Every DVD disc has region code (1 - 6) or has been manufactured region free. The idea behind region codes for DVD movies is quite simple. It is in place to control the exportation of movies to other countries, thus eliminating the possibility of purchasing a DVD movie which has yet to be played at the local cinema.

ok that what the copy writers want you to think

You need to buy a "region free enabled" Dvd player ( Not to be confussed with "Multi region" players) you will then be able to play any dvd on it

try seaching DVD region codes on the net to get a better understanding of What I am trying to explain