Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Duty Free UK to Brisbane via Hong Kong

Duty Free UK to Brisbane via Hong Kong

Old Aug 16th 2011, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough
Default Duty Free UK to Brisbane via Hong Kong

I'm travelling from London Heathrow to Brisbane via Hong Kong airport and wanting to pick up some duty free Scotch Whisky and cigarettes. Can anyone please recommend the cheapest place to get it and any pitfalls. I came across an old post in another forum from 2008 where someone had been sold a bottle of spirits in the duty free shop at Hong Kong and then had it confiscated. There was also a post about only being allowed to buy 60 cigarettes (so 3 packs of 20).

Any advice from experienced travellers appreciated.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 10:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duty Free UK to Brisbane via Hong Kong

Originally Posted by migrantoz
I'm travelling from London Heathrow to Brisbane via Hong Kong airport and wanting to pick up some duty free Scotch Whisky and cigarettes. Can anyone please recommend the cheapest place to get it and any pitfalls. I came across an old post in another forum from 2008 where someone had been sold a bottle of spirits in the duty free shop at Hong Kong and then had it confiscated. There was also a post about only being allowed to buy 60 cigarettes (so 3 packs of 20).

Buy in the Brisbane duty free on arrival, much easier
Old Aug 16th 2011, 11:59 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by migrantoz

Cigarettes in HK are 15-20$AUD for 200 - in Aus Duty free they are 80$ for 200

Check the Liquids situation - I think that when I flew from HK last week they were taking liquids off people - you can ring HK Duty Free store and ask them. In which case you *have* to buy in Australia where its roughly half price of the retail in aus.

I neither Drink, Nor Smoke, but I travel a lot and hang out with a bunch of drunken nicotine addicts
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by spalen
Cigarettes in HK are 15-20$AUD for 200 - in Aus Duty free they are 80$ for 200

Check the Liquids situation - I think that when I flew from HK last week they were taking liquids off people - you can ring HK Duty Free store and ask them. In which case you *have* to buy in Australia where its roughly half price of the retail in aus.

I neither Drink, Nor Smoke, but I travel a lot and hang out with a bunch of drunken nicotine addicts
I have to agree with this much cheaper in hong kong for cigs and drink.

don't buy in uk duty free
Old Aug 16th 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Liamp250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Wirelessly posted (SAMSUNG-GT-S5230/S5230XPIK2 SHP/VPP/R5 Jasmine/1.0 Nextreaming SMM-MMS/1.2.0 profile/MIDP-2.1 configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Does anyone know what the prices are like in bangkok duty free? im flying 2 sydney thru there in 2 weeks
Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

migrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the roughmigrantoz is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the responses. I'm a bit worried about having my bottle of whisky taken from me after parting with cash for it. So looks like I'll have to get it in Brisbane.
Old Aug 19th 2011, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

It happened to my hubby when he flew from Europe & his stop over was in Thailand they took his bottles away, he was very pissed off.>
Old Aug 19th 2011, 8:53 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Liamp250
Does anyone know what the prices are like in bangkok duty free? im flying 2 sydney thru there in 2 weeks
Australia enforces secondary screening at the gate for inbound international flights. Unless they deliver to the gate at BKK you will have anything you have bought confiscated. Same goes for Hong Kong I think - I know some people have reported getting away with it but not worth the hassle.

Not sure about SYD prices though, I bought a bottle of Brandy there on Wednesday but I could've got it for the same price in Asda!