Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Duty Free System?? Flight: Oz to UK (Cigs for Dad)

Duty Free System?? Flight: Oz to UK (Cigs for Dad)

Old May 6th 2016, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Duty Free System?? Flight: Oz to UK (Cigs for Dad)

Hi Guys

Dad wants some fags when I visit the UK from Oz.

Do I buy them at the Duty Free shop in Brisbane before I board the plane to the UK...yes??

Bearing in mind how expensive cigs are here in Oz is it worth it for him?

How many would I be permitted to buy?

Also, I am stopping in Dubia...could I buy them there? Would they be cheaper?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 7th 2016, 12:27 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Duty Free System?? Flight: Oz to UK (Cigs for Dad)

You can take 200 into the UK duty free.

Prices for Brisbane and Dubai duty free are readily available online...Dubai will be much, much cheaper.
Old May 7th 2016, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hiya....Thanks

So no problem me waiting til I get to Dubai and getting them there? I guess the same on my return trip.

Also, on the Dubai duty free website there is no mention of tobacco? Maybe they are not allowed to advertise, hey.

Last edited by jacknscoob; May 7th 2016 at 1:18 am.
Old May 7th 2016, 12:36 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
Do I buy them at the Duty Free shop in Brisbane before I board the plane to the UK...yes??

Also, I am stopping in Dubia...could I buy them there? Would they be cheaper?
I think that for tobacco Dubai is supposed to be cheaper. You can't buy cigarettes on arrival in the UK, and Australia is silly prices.

IIRC it's 200 cigarettes into the UK.
Old May 7th 2016, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Duty Free means just that. Basically street price less taxes plus whatever extra profit they can get away with! For example , if say the street price in OZ is $15 a pack , but taking taxes off makes them say, $7 a pack , I bet the Duty Free charge $10 - seems cheap compared to shop prices. Here in Philippines for example, shop price of Marlboro Red is around £9.00 a carton, but in so called Duty Free, they are no cheaper! Probably much cheaper in Dubai - I bought some Players superkings there 3 years ago and they were IIRC about £20 a carton - less than a third of the UK price. Going back via Doha the same ciggys were more expensive than Dubai! Easiest way is to ask Dad what he pays in UK , convert to OZ $ and use that as your guide price. you'll soon see if they are cheaper! Yes, from non EU countries its 200 cigs.
Old May 7th 2016, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some info on Dubai duty free - says they do sell ciggys and what brands.
Dubai Duty Free - Tax free shopping in Dubai
Old May 7th 2016, 1:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey! Here you go, all prices at Dubai:
http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/content...ber%202014.pdf
Bit out of date, but can't have everything!
HIH
Old May 7th 2016, 2:53 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess the same on my return trip.
You can only bring 50 duty free cigarettes into Australia. That's 50 cigarettes, not 50 packets.

Tobacco Products:

If you are aged 18 years or over you can bring 50 cigarettes or 50 grams of cigars or tobacco products duty-free into Australia with you. All tobacco products in accompanied baggage are included in this category, regardless of how or where they were purchased.
Tax and duty free allowances into Australia
Old May 7th 2016, 3:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
You can only bring 50 duty free cigarettes into Australia. That's 50 cigarettes, not 50 packets.

Tax and duty free allowances into Australia
Yep, and in the recent budget that's been cut in half to 25 cigarettes only. Don't know if it's been implemented yet.

OP, definitely buy in Dubai. A carton of 200 will cost you around US$20.
Old May 7th 2016, 4:25 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
Hey! Here you go, all prices at Dubai:
http://www.dubaidutyfree.com/content...ber%202014.pdf
Bit out of date, but can't have everything!
HIH
Interesting prices

Champagne is cheaper in Dan Murphy
2x1l Bombay Sapphire Gin (as bought last week returning from trip to Singapore:
Dubai DF: AUD60
Singapore DF: AUD53
Perth DF: AUD55
Old May 7th 2016, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Until 2 years ago I went through Dubai every month. I could normally get a special offer on a good gin with 2 x 1 ltr bottles for $30 - 40.
Old May 7th 2016, 5:12 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Interesting prices

Champagne is cheaper in Dan Murphy
2x1l Bombay Sapphire Gin (as bought last week returning from trip to Singapore:
Dubai DF: AUD60
Singapore DF: AUD53
Perth DF: AUD55
Abu Dhabi airport 2 weeks ago, 1 litre of Bombay Sapphire East (2 additional botanicals) US$28. And very yummy it was
Old May 7th 2016, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for everyones help. I'll get Dad's fags in Dubai.

On the return to Oz someone mentioned that I could only bring 50 cigs back. I will be returning approx June 6th....will that effect me or can I bring back 200?
Old May 7th 2016, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow...I have just checked the link...........looks like 50 cigs

That's not many....doh!

Do you have to fill a form in when you travel back to Oz, I think you do hey. I wonder how strict they are and what would happen if you had more cigs on you?
Old May 7th 2016, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how strict they are and what would happen if you had more cigs on you?

You either pay the duty or they take them off you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.