Reload this Page >

Duty free allowances increased

Duty free allowances increased

Old Jan 31st 2005, 9:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Duty free allowances increased

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...2/s1293081.htm

Traveller duty free limits raised

The Federal Government has announced an increase in the value of duty free goods travellers can bring into and take out of Australia.

The changes will come into effect today and will allow people to more than double the amount of their duty free allowances.

Customs Minister Senator Chris Ellison says the travel industry has been pushing for the change for many years.

"We'll see an increase from $400 to $900 for duty free goods and for a child from $200 to $450," he said.

"As well as that we'll see a doubling of the alcohol allowance from 1.125 litres to 2.25 litres. Tobacco will remain unchanged."

Senator Ellison says the changes will bring Australia into line with other countries.

"The travel industry will welcome this because it will mean more money being spent in the travel industry in Australia, more money for our duty free shops, especially in our airports," he said.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Duty free allowances increased

And for those of you wanting to increase your tobacco and alcohol limits further, you can bring in x2 the limit, DECLARE it and there you go!

Basically if the duty payable is below $50, then as long as the goods were declared, Customs will let it through
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by Trevglas
And for those of you wanting to increase your tobacco and alcohol limits further, you can bring in x2 the limit, DECLARE it and there you go!

Basically if the duty payable is below $50, then as long as the goods were declared, Customs will let it through
Is that still the case with the changes?
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:44 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas

I thought this was only while they were waiting for the changes to come into affect - I have been doubling my alcohol allowance for a year now to 2.25L by declaring it - never did the fags though cause I heard they really do not like this at customs in Sydney.

Have to get my father to try this on his next trip through and see if he gets away with 3L
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sandra
I thought this was only while they were waiting for the changes to come into affect - I have been doubling my alcohol allowance for a year now to 2.25L by declaring it - never did the fags though cause I heard they really do not like this at customs in Sydney.

Have to get my father to try this on his next trip through and see if he gets away with 3L
I found customs at sydney preferred to be targetting evil food smugglers rather than be bothered with the odd extra bottle of scotch. I've always found it quicker to go through the something to declare q as the other one can take ages.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 12:19 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sandra
I'm going to LA on Friday, so will be coming back through two weeks after that.... will see how much I can get through