Duty free!

Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Duty free!

Nope not that old sit-com with Keith Baron and Gwen Taylor!

I've just been on the Cathay Pacific website looking over the duty free stuff...

Would you believe confused???

Whats the limit we can take over to Aus without it being confiscated?

We don't smoke, so it may only me perfume or cologne..but then we have the old 'liquids' situation.

I'll keep it simple...

"Can we buy duty free in HK and take it on our plane to Australia?"

I sound potty now but please can people give me their experiences of doing this? Any interesting stories?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice
Default Re: Duty free!

You should wait and buy all duty free in HK, it's much cheaper there than in London.

The limit for smokes is 200 cigs or 250g rolling baccy. I got 2 guys flying with me to take 200 each so I ended up with lots

Liquids is a single bottle per person of spirits, either 750ml or 1l.

Hope that helps....
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:04 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the other airports here are the same as Brissie (someone will tell me if I'm wrong) but don't bother buying your duty free on the way. Brissie Airport has duty free as you get off the plane before customs. That way you don't have to have it on the plane. Much easier and I don't believe any more expensive than using Hong Kong. (It's only the booze and fags though, no electrical stuff).
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I assume the other airports here are the same as Brissie (someone will tell me if I'm wrong) but don't bother buying your duty free on the way. Brissie Airport has duty free as you get off the plane before customs. That way you don't have to have it on the plane. Much easier and I don't believe any more expensive than using Hong Kong. (It's only the booze and fags though, no electrical stuff).
We have found Brisbane and Melbourne duty free cheaper than both KL and Singapore so would imagine it would be competitive with Hong Kong as well.

The limit, for spirits, is around 2.25 litres per person.

G
Old Nov 20th 2008, 4:01 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
We have found Brisbane and Melbourne duty free cheaper than both KL and Singapore so would imagine it would be competitive with Hong Kong as well.

The limit, for spirits, is around 2.25 litres per person.

G

I think it depends what you buy. Any idea how much a litre of Bombay Sapphire would be in Oz? Last time I bought it at Changi it was SGD25 (which is roughly same in AUD). I would imagine wine is much cheaper here.

OP, if you buy Duty Free it will probably be in security sealed bags, so you can bring it from your stopover. You may have to leave it at the shop and pick it up at the gate, just prior to departure, to ensure you don't tamper with it.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Thank you Chaps. Really helpful...as usual!
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Whenever we leave Australia we pre-buy our duty free and collect in when we return.

You can buy duty free online and collect it when you get here. (You can also do this for most New Zealand airport duty free shops)

Last time we returned from UK, when we went to collect our duty free there was a guy who'd been on our flight who'd bought duty free at Singapore.

When he got to security they took the duty free liquids from him and told him he could collect it from the duty free shop when we got to Australia. The duty free shop here (obviously) knew nothing about it, and would not give him any duty free even though he had his receipt from Singapore.

Mxxx
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:54 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds to me like he misunderstood and should have picked it up at the gate in Singapore, M.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 9:01 am
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
It sounds to me like he misunderstood and should have picked it up at the gate in Singapore, M.
He was not a happy guy, but I wouldn't have been happy either. You may be right, about him having to pick it up at the gate. I didn't think of that! But then by the time I got off the last leg of the journey I was lucky that I remembered that I had to pick my pre-paid stuff up

TBH, I don't think it's worth buying liquid duty free for a 24hr+ journey. I have enough to worry about once I've offloaded all the stuff out of various pockets into my carry on bag so that I pass the 'handluggage weight' test at check in. The last thing I need is two bottles of booze to add to it.

Mxxx