Durex

Old Sep 6th 2008, 3:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Durex

An expat ex-colleague who lives in Cyprus and runs a forum says that well, read it yourself:

>>Many a female Australian office worker has caused merriment working in the UK, when asking if anyone has any Durex – the common name for Sellotape in OZ.<<

Is this true? Never heard of it myself.

Is this a reason for the birth rate? Why posted parcels come (sic) unwrapped?

We should know.....
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:07 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Durex

I'm afraid that it is true, Durex used to be the brandname for sellotape, particularly for older Aussies (my mum still calls it that). I have to confess that as an Aussie, I too made the same mistake when I first moved to the UK. My ex-workmates are probably still laughing now.

Mind you, although it might not make a great contraceptive it could be a cheaper alternative to Viagara!
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sjo
I'm afraid that it is true, Durex used to be the brandname for sellotape, particularly for older Aussies (my mum still calls it that). I have to confess that as an Aussie, I too made the same mistake when I first moved to the UK. My ex-workmates are probably still laughing now.

Mind you, although it might not make a great contraceptive it could be a cheaper alternative to Viagara!
I wonder when Aussies stopped calling it that. I can't remember in my 29 years here of seeing it specifically as a brand name, but my wife, who is in her late 40's used to call sellotape Durex. It definitely was the norm to call sellotape, Durex, when she was growing up. BTW SJO, she started of in Parkes NSW.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 6th 2008 at 4:14 am.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Have not heard it for a while but people still do say it the older generations.

Bit like "Sheilas" not really heard a lot these days save for the older guys.
Old Sep 6th 2008, 4:38 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough

I seem to recall that Durex UK tried to legally stop the Aussie tape manufacturers from using the name 'Durex'. From memory, I think they were unsuccessful, the Court ruling that as there was likely to be no confusion between the condom and tape that the Durex tape could continue to be called that.

Wiktionary states 'Use of "Durex" as a generic term for adhesive tape has declined markedly in Australia in recent years as the brand is no longer sold there, and in fact the condom brand is widely available and marketed in that country. Durex is rarely used as a generic terms for condoms in Australia however.' http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Durex
Old Sep 6th 2008, 11:40 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
An expat ex-colleague who lives in Cyprus and runs a forum says that well, read it yourself:

>>Many a female Australian office worker has caused merriment working in the UK, when asking if anyone has any Durex – the common name for Sellotape in OZ.<<

Is this true? Never heard of it myself.

Is this a reason for the birth rate? Why posted parcels come (sic) unwrapped?

We should know.....

.... and for the same reason we no longer call pencil/biro erasers "rubbers".
Old Sep 6th 2008, 12:10 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All passed on: all Cyprus now knows not to rely on sellotape to stay clear of Aids <g>.