British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   duration of medicals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/duration-medicals-122137/)

mrhemenz Dec 15th 2002 5:09 pm

duration of medicals

hello
just started using this forum and think its bloody excellent
i wonder if anyone could help us. my partner and i submitted our application for independent skilled migration in early january of this year
we front loaded our application with our medical and police forms. adelaide replied and said 50 weeks!!! if this is so our medicals etc would run out would we then have to take them again. it would be great if anyone out there knew as the thought of spending 300pounds again fills us with so much glee(not)any way
thanks
ian and paula

hollywood110 Dec 15th 2002 5:29 pm

Re: duration of medicals

Originally posted by mrhemenz
hello
just started using this forum and think its bloody excellent
i wonder if anyone could help us. my partner and i submitted our application for independent skilled migration in early january of this year
we front loaded our application with our medical and police forms. adelaide replied and said 50 weeks!!! if this is so our medicals etc would run out would we then have to take them again. it would be great if anyone out there knew as the thought of spending 300pounds again fills us with so much glee(not)any way
thanks
ian and paula

Hi

Welcome to the forum,its a great group as We are all pretty much in the same boat. We applied 16months ago to London and application has now gone to Adelaide, so who knows how long We must wait.
Some on here are pretty negative,just got to get used to the odd few who are pathetic.

Medicals and police checks are valid for 1 year. If you applied to Adelaide you should not have long to wait as they are processing their applications in 50 weeks (supposedly!)

I guess You will have to validate your visas quite quick as the date goes from date of medicals or police check,whichever you got 1st.

Im sure You will get some better replies than this,but hope it helps a little.

Love

Sharon xx

mashiraz Dec 15th 2002 8:31 pm

Adelaide sometimes uses discretion to extend validity by 3 months. London had discretion to extend by a year. We applied Sept 01 - still waiting...

Glad you found us. Also check out the immigration forum for more specific immigrastion questions.

Keep us updated with your progress.
Mash..

Originally posted by hollywood110
Hi

Welcome to the forum,its a great group as We are all pretty much in the same boat. We applied 16months ago to London and application has now gone to Adelaide, so who knows how long We must wait.
Some on here are pretty negative,just got to get used to the odd few who are pathetic.

Medicals and police checks are valid for 1 year. If you applied to Adelaide you should not have long to wait as they are processing their applications in 50 weeks (supposedly!)

I guess You will have to validate your visas quite quick as the date goes from date of medicals or police check,whichever you got 1st.

Im sure You will get some better replies than this,but hope it helps a little.

Love

Sharon xx

ptlabs Dec 17th 2002 5:39 am

Originally posted by mrhemenz
adelaide replied and said 50 weeks!!! if this is so our medicals etc would run out would we then have to take them again. it would be great if anyone out there knew as the thought of spending 300pounds again fills us with so much glee(not)any way

There's a high chance that you will be required to re-do your medicals, as, as has been pointed out, they are valid for only a year normally. Even if they are extended, your "first-entry" date will be tied to your medicals' expiration date. This means that you may be hit with a very short grace period before you have to make your first-entry to Australia as a PR.

As a general rule, most skilled visa (with the exception of Skilled Onshore Overseas Students category and others that are explicitly advised otherwise by DIMIA's booklets) applications should not have their medicals and police checks "front-loaded", as they may run out before the applications are processed to their completion.

While it's understandable that you may want to avoid unnecessary delays, bear in mind that if you are from the UK, which is a long long way from Australia, you may want to pro-long your grace period between date of grant and first-entry date as much as possible, to cater for unexpected twists and turns that may need to be dealt with in the UK. So, it's generally good advice, although it includes some anxiety and hair-loss as well, to not front load your medicals and police checks until you are specifically told to get them by DIMIA/APSC/AHC/AE.

Peter