Dunk Island

Old Dec 25th 2008, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Barbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond reputeBarbitana has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Dunk Island

Hi all,
We're just planning for a short holiday on Dunk island (in Feb.), any experiences to share? specially how to get there from Cairns (where I know how to get to!!!) - by any chance can we travel with an infant ?!

Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
K.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 7:23 am
Just Joined

PaulfromQLD will become famous soon enoughPaulfromQLD will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dunk Island

Hi.

I live in Mission Beach which is just across the beach from Dunk Island. There are heaps of transport options from Cairns to Dunk Island. There is a regular bus shuttle from the Cairns airport to the ferry transfer at Mission Beach to Dunk Island and there are a couple of services each way each day, there is a direct plane flight from Cairns to Dunk Island and there are plenty of car hire firms directly at the Cairns Airport to drive yourself the 1 and 1/2 drive down to Mission Beach, park at the ferry and take the ferry across to Dunk Island. This would have to be the preferred option as the drive down from Cairns to Mission Beach is an experience in itself - rainforest clad mountains with crystal clear streams, a couple of big waterfalls in national parks to visit on the way down and plenty of cafes and services stations.

<snip>

Any questions and any more info just ask!

Cheers

Old Dec 25th 2008, 8:00 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We spent a week or so there some 20 years ago, when it was owned by Avis /Australian Airlines IIRC. Excellent food. I think it's probably gone a bit downmarket recently though.

We flew from Townsville I think, then on an outfit called BushPilot Airways - a Trislander without any aircon.......

Can't help with more recnt info: sorry.

Last edited by Wol; Dec 25th 2008 at 8:34 am.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

We went six years ago and we all loved it. We flew in a tiny noisy little aircraft but I don't remember the details. The island management will though because they have the private airstrip. Enjoy!

Oh yes, we flew from somewhere near Cairns, there was a bus from there I think.
Old Dec 25th 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

PaulfromQLD will become famous soon enoughPaulfromQLD will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by quercus
We went six years ago and we all loved it. We flew in a tiny noisy little aircraft but I don't remember the details. The island management will though because they have the private airstrip. Enjoy!

Oh yes, we flew from somewhere near Cairns, there was a bus from there I think.
There are buses from Cairns running a couple of trips a day, there are plenty of options for car hire from budget to luxury and there is a direct small plane service from Cairns airport direct to Dunk Island. A great option is to hire a car and enjoy the drive down. Rainforest clad mountains, crystal creeks and streams, waterfalls - the drive is an experience in itself!
Old Dec 25th 2008, 10:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Hi all,
We're just planning for a short holiday on Dunk island (in Feb.), any experiences to share? specially how to get there from Cairns (where I know how to get to!!!) - by any chance can we travel with an infant ?!

Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
K.

There are buses from Cairns running a couple of trips a day, there are plenty of options for car hire from budget to luxury and there is a direct small plane service from Cairns airport direct to Dunk Island. A great option is to hire a car and enjoy the drive down. Rainforest clad mountains, crystal creeks and streams, waterfalls - the drive is an experience in itself!

<snip>

Dunk Island is gorgeous and unlike a lot of the other islands, it is a true tropical island. It is worth a trip up here - the only problem, the whole area is gorgeous and Mission Beach itself is work at least a week exploring the surrounding area - waterfalls, rainforest walks, hire a boat yourself and visit one of the deserted islands just offshore form Mission Beach. We liked the palce so much we moved here about 4 years ago!

Cheers!

Paul
Old Dec 25th 2008, 11:06 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barbitana
Hi all,

Merry Christmas!
Cheers,
K.
How long are you planning on going? Ive been to Dunk twice as a daytripper and the second trip only confirmed to me that I'd think id go nuts stuck on there for any longer than a couple of days.

The resort I think is past its best although does have some newer parts.

As others have said you can fly directly in....I assume from Cairns. Or make your own way to Mission Beach and get the water taxi from there.

Personally I'd rather stay at Mission Beach & take a trip or two over to Dunk.