British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Dump, Sell or Take? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dump-sell-take-646390/)

Mazza12 Jan 4th 2010 11:45 am

Re: Dump, Sell or Take?

Originally Posted by chris and tracy (Post 8215900)
Agree that furnished rentals are extremely hard to find

We've been here for about 10 weeks and our stuff has just arrived. The main thing we're finding is how much stuff we now have 2 of as we had to buy items to keep us going until the container arrived (e.g. ironing board, small hifi for music, frying pan, measuring jugs etc etc etc)

It makes sense to bring stuff as so much of it is expensive here (due to dreadful exchange rates which affect everything until you're earning dollars) but be aware that you may end up with duplicates.

Maybe we could set up some kind of 'for sale' board of second hand items for new arrivals - anyone for an ironing board in mint condition that's only been used about 4 times????

Thanks Chris and Tracy - Would your advice still be to bring as much stuff as possible given how expensive it is there even though you may end up with duplicates of essential items? Where in Oz are you? I might need to take you up on that ironing board offer:)

5u5an Jan 4th 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mazza12 (Post 8217181)
Thanks Chris and Tracy - Would your advice still be to bring as much stuff as possible given how expensive it is there even though you may end up with duplicates of essential items? Where in Oz are you? I might need to take you up on that ironing board offer:)

Hi, we did the whole sorting out thing a year ago and sold lots of things in the car boot sales. We have kept all our books and keepsakes in plastic boxes in our parents houses but TBH I could do without them all on a day-to-day basis. I was wondering if anyone took all they needed in their suitcases and what did they decide to take and how it worked out? Can you buy second hand easily over there or rent large items of furniture?

Chris&Jaime Jan 4th 2010 6:29 pm

Try this website http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au

A friend passed it on, not sure how good it is tho as we're still in England! :frown:

chris and tracy Jan 4th 2010 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mazza12 (Post 8217181)

I'd use the rule that everyone recommends on here - if you haven't used it for 12 months then don't bring it.

There's a gumtree site for each city (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane etc) and they're good for second hand household stuff including furniture and electricals.

We're in Melbourne if you need an ironing board (or a cup of coffee!)

Mazza12 Jan 5th 2010 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by chris and tracy (Post 8218499)
I'd use the rule that everyone recommends on here - if you haven't used it for 12 months then don't bring it.

There's a gumtree site for each city (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane etc) and they're good for second hand household stuff including furniture and electricals.

We're in Melbourne if you need an ironing board (or a cup of coffee!)

Thanks again for this helpful info. Yes I think I'll have to be ruthless and chuck any non personal items that I haven't used in 12 months. I'll have a look at the gumtree site you suggest. We're heading to Sydney. Hope all is going well for you guys with your new start in Melbourne. I'd imagine you'll still be a bit shell shocked but hope you're settling well! :thumbsup:

daunted Jan 7th 2010 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Seabird (Post 8214323)
Yep, all washing gear works fine except when it comes to regional DVD players. A good idea to bring UK multi-adapters then you have less plugs to change. Personally I HATE Australian plugs... real pain in the posterior to change.. There are two different size plugs in the shops, make sure you get the right one though.

What you do need to investigate is what you are going to use whilst you're waiting for your stuff to arrive. A few people have suggested that you can get short-term rental. Also worth costing up secondhand machines with a 3-month warranty that you then sell back to the shop, or privately through something like Trading Post...

Just a couple of thoughts

Seabird.

DVD players can very easily be unlocked to become multi regional. Just google for the instructions. I have done this twice now (to ozzie dvd players so we can play uk dvds) and it took 5 mins max once i had the code

Pollyana Jan 7th 2010 11:39 am

Originally Posted by chris and tracy (Post 8215900)
Agree that furnished rentals are extremely hard to find

We've been here for about 10 weeks and our stuff has just arrived. The main thing we're finding is how much stuff we now have 2 of as we had to buy items to keep us going until the container arrived (e.g. ironing board, small hifi for music, frying pan, measuring jugs etc etc etc)

It makes sense to bring stuff as so much of it is expensive here (due to dreadful exchange rates which affect everything until you're earning dollars) but be aware that you may end up with duplicates.

Maybe we could set up some kind of 'for sale' board of second hand items for new arrivals - anyone for an ironing board in mint condition that's only been used about 4 times????

You can always put items like that in the BE Classified section, and then have a link in your signature :)

Seabird Jan 8th 2010 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mazza12 (Post 8214558)
Thanks Seabird - that's really helpful info. I was also holding off replacing my ancient TV but might just go ahead and replace it. I hadn't realised that furnished rentals are less common so your idea about possibly using secondhand whilst waiting for my stuff could be the solution.
Cheers :)

No worries, Mazza. Furnished rentals are like gold-dust and just as uncommon.

If you check www.realestate.com.au you can check for rentals in your State and see how many are furnished.

All the best

Seabird