Dump

Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dump

Having been here for 3 months we've built up alot of cardboard boxes and polystyrene packaging, and we need to get rid of it. (Mrs JTL has dreams of putting some of the cardboard boxes in the recycling bin every fortnight until we get rid of them all, but that would take years) I assume they have refuse depots in Oz (we called 'em dumps in Northern Ireland, none of that posh aussie talk ).

Does anyone know how it works here? I've heard you have to pay to use them and prove you live in the area. So specifically, how does it work in Redlandshire?

And where is the nearest one to Cleveland?

Thanks,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:13 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Dump

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Having been here for 3 months we've built up alot of cardboard boxes and polystyrene packaging, and we need to get rid of it. (Mrs JTL has dreams of putting some of the cardboard boxes in the recycling bin every fortnight until we get rid of them all, but that would take years) I assume they have refuse depots in Oz (we called 'em dumps in Northern Ireland, none of that posh aussie talk ).

Does anyone know how it works here? I've heard you have to pay to use them and prove you live in the area. So specifically, how does it work in Redlandshire?

Thanks,
JTL
hi JTL, i can't help with telling you how the dumps work, but have you looked in to any recycling centres near you? from what i've heard they don't charge! or the one in act doesn't.

btw, i've got the same problem here, i've got brown paper and boxes up to the ceiling in the spare room,..... i just don't go in there so problem solved.

hope this helps.

Leigh
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Have you talked to the local council?

Jeremy
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Have you talked to the local council?

Jeremy
Well yes, but not about rubbish!!! I don't want to be ringing them up with every question I have. I thought the forum was good place for advice. Or do you recommend we stop using this and just ring the government/council when we have queries?

Its a last resort thing, ringing the council and saying, 'hi, remember us, we are new and clueless, how does your refuse system work?'

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 12:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes, but not about rubbish!!! I don't want to be ringing them up with every question I have. I thought the forum was good place for advice. Or do you recommend we stop using this and just ring the government/council when we have queries?

Its a last resort thing, ringing the council and saying, 'hi, remember us, we are new and clueless, how does your refuse system work?'

Cheers,
JTL
If you are the same as us (in Clayfield) you have a certain number of vouchers per year so you can go to the dump for free. After that you have to pay. However, as we are renting our landlord gets the vouchers and we get nothing, so I can't tell you how the system works.
I don't know if redlands is the same, but try this link:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/:STANDARD:c=PC_1224
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you are the same as us (in Clayfield) you have a certain number of vouchers per year so you can go to the dump for free. After that you have to pay. However, as we are renting our landlord gets the vouchers and we get nothing, so I can't tell you how the system works.
I don't know if redlands is the same, but try this link:

http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/:STANDARD:c=PC_1224
Thanks, Scutter and Polly. We didn't know what the names of these places were when we were checking on the Redland Shire Council web site. We've got it now - Waste Transfer Stations! And for our council there's no charges for most domestic waste and the web site doesn't mention vouchers. Have just found the closest one to us and will be paying a wee visit next week. I look forward to it in a weired sort of way... Looking forward to getting rid of all the packaging materials and recycling most hopefully. The dumps always remind me of JTL's nephews who love going to the dump with their grandparents, lifting things making themselves look useful.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 1:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to help. Also, though again I'm not sure if Redland is the same, once a year they have this system where everyone sticks their rubbish by the side of the road and eventually the council come along and take it away. Our street last year looked like the worst council estate after a riot - piles of old furniture, cookers, planks of wood, mattresses, all just slung out across the footpath and in the gutter. Took about a month till it all disappeared, and in that time every night you could see people wandering up and down the street removing any items of furniture they took a fancy too!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:05 am
BE Enthusiast

abergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud ofabergas has much to be proud of

Is there a company in QLD that buys good condition packing boxes? we found a company in Perth which brought ours, We found out too late, gave the first load of boxes back to Kents, but the rest we sold.
Or put an ad somewhere, im sure you will be able to sell!

yve
Old Nov 20th 2004, 2:35 am
ABCDiamond

Quote a few "self storage" places will buy back good condition boxes.
May be worth calling one first, eg: Victoria Point Storage, Tel: 07 3207 0224 or
Complete Self Storage, 81 Redland Bay Road, CAPALABA, Tel: 07 3823 1000

Waste Station locations in Birkdale, and Redland Bay, Redlands are shown here: http://www.redland.qld.gov.au/redlan...cfm?doc_id=674

No vouchers needed, just proof of residence in the Redlands.

They also have them on North Stradbroke Island, Russell Island, Macleay Island, Karragarra Island, Coochiemudlo Island and Lamb Island.

Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Glad to help. Also, though again I'm not sure if Redland is the same, once a year they have this system where everyone sticks their rubbish by the side of the road and eventually the council come along and take it away. Our street last year looked like the worst council estate after a riot - piles of old furniture, cookers, planks of wood, mattresses, all just slung out across the footpath and in the gutter. Took about a month till it all disappeared, and in that time every night you could see people wandering up and down the street removing any items of furniture they took a fancy too!
Yeah, they did that when I lived in Mannheim in germany. Without warning one night walking home the streets were full of old soafs and washing machine etc. And for the next few weeks, people, and I mean families, would wander the streets an inspect other peoples rubbish like they were in a shop, and take away what they wanted. It was like an outing to them

I suppose it is a good way of recycling. Somebody might want something you think is useless. But I could never bring myself to start hoking through the other peoples junk like the germans did !

And then one night, again without warning, there was an almighty racket, lasting from about midnight to 6am, and eventualy 20 Bin lorries passed down the street and the remaining junk got chucked into the various lorries and crunched.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Nov 20th 2004, 3:33 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
JTL
i took a load of junk to the dump here in sydney. the charged me 10 bucks for doing it though.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 4:54 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Noooooooooooooo MrsJTL, if you dont want the rest of them I'll take them - I need every one I can get, ive been down at the fruit & vege shop & the local off-license harrassing them for every box they could find LOL.

I'll come & collect them in the daytime this time so I can see the garden properly - & I'll bring the rest of the ratbags with me.
Old Nov 20th 2004, 6:29 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

I suppose it is a good way of recycling. Somebody might want something you think is useless. But I could never bring myself to start hoking through the other peoples junk like the germans did !
don't they call them car boot sales in the UK?
Old Nov 20th 2004, 7:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Noooooooooooooo MrsJTL, if you dont want the rest of them I'll take them - I need every one I can get, ive been down at the fruit & vege shop & the local off-license harrassing them for every box they could find LOL.

I'll come & collect them in the daytime this time so I can see the garden properly - & I'll bring the rest of the ratbags with me.
Okay alright. Will save all of them for you as long as you don't charge to remove them! Give us a call any time tonight, tomorrow, Monday... We're get more stuff delivered some time next week, so there will be even more boxes... :scared: The garden's a mess at the moment as we are trying to replace the lawn in the back garden, so ignore the grass and focus on the flowers!

Cheers,
Mrs JTL