Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dumb Questions re Newly Acquired Driving Licence

Wikiposts

Dumb Questions re Newly Acquired Driving Licence

Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Dumb Questions re Newly Acquired Driving Licence

How is a newly acquired British Driving Licence viewed in Australia? When swopping a UK one for a Queensland one are there any implications in terms of the length of time one has held a DL for????

Mega thanks, Sue
Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dumb Questions re Newly Acquired Driving Licence

Hi, the only rule is make sure you change it to a QLD licence within 3 months of getting here. If you get pulled over by Police they will potentially fine you $300
Old Mar 14th 2010, 11:27 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

In some states, if you haven't held a licence for 3 years, you go onto the probationary driver program. (when you swap).
Old Mar 14th 2010, 5:04 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by suebrennan
How is a newly acquired British Driving Licence viewed in Australia? When swopping a UK one for a Queensland one are there any implications in terms of the length of time one has held a DL for????

Mega thanks, Sue
In QLD, if you are 25 or over, then no problems with the length of time you have had the licence.

If you are under 25, you 'may' need to show P plates when driving. But that may also depend on who does the paperwork.

Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Don't swap in NSW until you absolutely have to. You'll be required to display P plates and you'll cop a 3 month ban if you receive 7 demerit points. If you're over 25 in QLD then you'll get a full licence from go.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sammyg
Hi, the only rule is make sure you change it to a QLD licence within 3 months of getting here. If you get pulled over by Police they will potentially fine you $300
That depends on your residency status. Non-residents are not ever required to switch as far as I know.
Old Mar 14th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In QLD, if you are 25 or over, then no problems with the length of time you have had the licence.

If you are under 25, you 'may' need to show P plates when driving. But that may also depend on who does the paperwork.
I'm under 25 and had only had my UK licence for 18 months when we arrived in QLD, got given a full open licence If they made a mistake then I'm not going to correct them....
Old Mar 14th 2010, 8:10 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I'm under 25 and had only had my UK licence for 18 months when we arrived in QLD, got given a full open licence If they made a mistake then I'm not going to correct them....
The best swap-over mistake I have heard about was one person getting a goods vehicle licence for a car licence

A few manual licences in exchange for Auto only though.

Old Mar 15th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

BigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud ofBigH68 has much to be proud of

if you have held your license for less than a year you MAY have to display green P plates even of u r over 25
Old Mar 15th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for your replies
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

The best swap-over mistake I have heard about was one person getting a goods vehicle licence for a car licence

A few manual licences in exchange for Auto only though.
A friend of mine showed her Irish provisional licence and got a full open QLD licence, she was under 25 and no requirement to show plates!

Bit scary that's she's never passed a test but I've been in a car with her and she's good... thank God!!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

I passed my test three months before I got here (am 29). I WANTED to display P plates as I am (was) a bit of a nervy driver and had very little experience - just to warn others to back off. I had the green P plates in the UK. The guy in the driving licence place couldn't even understand why I was asking, and seemed very confused. Am in SA if that helps.

However have found driving here much easier than driving in Edinburgh, and apart for never knowing if I'm really going in the right direction, I am fine