Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

duel nationality

duel nationality

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Willow is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy duel nationality

just to let people with duel nationality know it aint all plain sailing to just pack up and go my partner freemantle raider landed in Perth 4 weeks ago now with only a place to stay he as gone all round perth and freemantle looking for work but found nothing and it was all comming down to the fact he spoke english it was Umm will this person stay in Australia so on new years eve he packed his bags and headed to sidney via the south coast (in a car) driving i have had word from him along the way he is now in Adelaide goin to spend a few days there then of to sidey to try his luck there (crosses fingers as our plans fall apart) well i will keep you posted of his journy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:34 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough
Default Re: duel nationality

Passports at dawn?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:36 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Passports at dawn?
Har har...en garde...
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 1:45 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Willow
just to let people with duel nationality know it aint all plain sailing to just pack up and go my partner freemantle raider landed in Perth 4 weeks ago now with only a place to stay he as gone all round perth and freemantle looking for work but found nothing and it was all comming down to the fact he spoke english it was Umm will this person stay in Australia so on new years eve he packed his bags and headed to sidney via the south coast (in a car) driving i have had word from him along the way he is now in Adelaide goin to spend a few days there then of to sidey to try his luck there (crosses fingers as our plans fall apart) well i will keep you posted of his journy
You did not say if your partner is being picky about work. Suggest on the way your partner might need a quick quid - Fruit Picking or irrigation installation.

$1K / week entirely possible.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

yes he got his passport an flew out but no he aint been pickie about work every where he had gone thay was goin on about brits working then leaving again i think it is unfair to treat some one that was born in Oz or in fact anyone with that attitude all coz he speaks english he will he was brought up over here well he is out of peth and spending his last night in Adelaide and moving on to sidney

willow
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Must say I have had no trouble getting work cos I am Brit with a British accent......and as I am from south London, I most definately have a strong london accent. Perhaps he has just been unfortunate?????
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 11:57 am
Banned

yes he got his passport an flew out but no he aint been pickie about work every where he had gone thay was goin on about brits working then leaving again i think it is unfair to treat some one that was born in Oz or in fact anyone with that attitude all coz he speaks english he will he was brought up over here well he is out of peth and spending his last night in Adelaide and moving on to sidney

willow
Perhaps "thay" have found that Brits are flighty and prone to go walkabout and have found locals or other ex-nationalities not so problematic in the jobs on offer. English is still the Official Language in Western Australia - perhaps you mean "he speaks with a regional English accent"? Is English a second language for you?
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

waustralish is on a distinguished road

willow

I am in Melbourne and I had no problem getting work and I am the same, Australian born but lived top side for the last 30 years.
Maybe he has been unlucky where he has gone, what work is he looking for as there are a lot of Brits working where I am and where I had a few interviews with they also had a lot of Brits working with them already.

Good luck in your search
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

hiya willow

Sorry to hear about FMR's job search. But to be honest, this time of year is always really bad for jobhunting as a lot of places either close right down for christmas or are just not recruiting over the holiday. I also think 4 weeks isn't really long enough (particularly in the Perth marketplace). What sort of work does he do?

Anyway, hopefully he will be more successful in sydney!

Lots of luck

love sophia xx
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

thanks all for your posts he is not fussy on what work he gets all he wants is a job so he can get a place for us all to live as in im the uk still with our 12 year old son he would love the adventue his dad is on but we are both hopping when he hits either melbourne or sidney things will change for him and the way he speaks is same as most people living in uk he was brought up in devon and scotland and no he aint got no scot accent just a nice clear english one and as for me im english born and breed FMR was born in freemantle that is why he wanted to go there as he couldnt rember none of it as he was young when he moved from there

willow
Old Jan 5th 2005, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

well he is still in Adalaide moving on tomorrow to sydney or as far as he can get in one day still crossing my fingers he finds work over that side or it looks like he will be goin to where his parants are in new zealand and we dont realy want that well he as till end of feb to find some where for us to live and find himself a job (keeps fingers crossed)
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:27 am
ABCDiamond

It does seem a bit odd, especially as Perth is the area with the highest % of British migrants.

Perth has 12% UK Born compared to
Sydney with 5%
and
Brisbane 6%
and better not forget
Melbourne 5%
oh Yes, and
Adelaide 9%
... who have I forgotten
Hobart 5%

Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:38 am
Just Joined

Faith is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Perth has 12% UK Born compared to
Sydney with 5%
and
Brisbane 6%
and better not forget
Melbourne 5%
oh Yes, and
Adelaide 9%
... who have I forgotten
Hobart 5%
You also forgot Canberra coming in last no doubt with ScutterUK and... er... um...
Old Jan 5th 2005, 4:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Faith
You also forgot Canberra coming in last no doubt with ScutterUK and... er... um...
and Canberra 5%

I always forget one !! reminds of one of my very first posts
I bet ptlabs would remember that one

Old Jan 5th 2005, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

MrsMangle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Quinkana
You did not say if your partner is being picky about work. Suggest on the way your partner might need a quick quid - Fruit Picking or irrigation installation.

$1K / week entirely possible.

Unfortunately $1 a week is also entirely possible...I know of one young guy who made a stonking 37 pence for four days hard graft after they'd deducted his accommodation costs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.