Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ductwork installers in Perth

Ductwork installers in Perth

Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ductwork installers in Perth

I am coming to Perth with my family in October.I qualified as a mechanical air conditioning plumber with the trade assesment and already have the visa.I am self employed in the U.K. and all the work I have done for the past 18 years is installing ventilation ductwork.Domestic air conditioning and plumbing are totally different trades to the work I do. Does anybody know if there are jobs going for ductwork installers in Perth or are they advertised as air conditioning or plumbing jobs.

Regards Phil.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:46 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ductwork installers in Perth

Originally Posted by phil
I am coming to Perth with my family in October.I qualified as a mechanical air conditioning plumber with the trade assesment and already have the visa.I am self employed in the U.K. and all the work I have done for the past 18 years is installing ventilation ductwork.Domestic air conditioning and plumbing are totally different trades to the work I do. Does anybody know if there are jobs going for ductwork installers in Perth or are they advertised as air conditioning or plumbing jobs.

Regards Phil.
Bump!

I think someone on the forum in Perth works in airconditioning.... Jacko1 maybe? Try a search!

Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:40 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Simone
Bump!

I think someone on the forum in Perth works in airconditioning.... Jacko1 maybe? Try a search!

Well remembered Simone!! here I am

My other half spotted this thread as I rarely come on here now.

Phil,

Firstly there is plenty of work for duct work installers there are a couple of companies that run weekly ads!!

The job title is just a bit different.

To install a DX system three trades are required; refrigeration engineer, electrician and installer.

The installer is where you, Phil, come in. The installer installs the indoor unit, outdoor unit, ductwork, registers (Diffusers) and will generally cut the holes for the registers as well.
You might also (in Perth) get involved in fitting roof mounted evap coolers.

Be aware that a vast amount of ducting here is "flex"

There area few larger companies that restrict the installer to just the ductwork, but the majority go for the lot.

So if you look for "Installer" in the Trades section of say The West Australian (a quick search on google will take you there) that will cover what you are looking for.

You will find it easier to get sub-contract work rather than direct employment, however, you will need insurance, ABN, and tools + Ute/wagon etc all fairly easy to sort. If you are good and can do a bit of supervision and perhaps drawings etc you could go straight into a supervisory or project management role, especially with eighteeen years experiance.

If you would like a few company names send me a PM and I could give you a list of a few local companies etc, if you fancy a bit of resume sending/cold calling.

I worked for a local contractor for a few weeks (Running a few Projects) but the hours were a little on the ridiculous side and I have now moved on to work for a large AC manufacturer.

Hope this helps

Good Luck

Paul J
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

phil is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Jacko1. That sounds quite interesting but still trying to work out how to send a PM. I run my own business in the uk so I have supervisory skills and have tendered and installed complete jobs of all sizes but only the labour side of it.The materials were always supplied and I supply the labour and supervise the installation works.When I get to Perth I will be looking to be employed as I"ve had enough of all the hassles involved with self employment. Are there many big developments around like office buildings,hotels,etc. or is most of the work centered around housing estates. Also what sort of rates are paid if you are directly employed. Any advice and information on potential employers would be geatly appreciated.

Regards Phil.