Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ducted heating? Or should I bring my ski mask?

Ducted heating? Or should I bring my ski mask?

Old Jul 20th 2006, 2:36 pm
Just Joined

tokyo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Ducted heating? Or should I bring my ski mask?

So I've read about how bad the insulation is in houses. I was wondering if ducted heating is the way to go. Does it keep the house warm? Or does it depend on the house? We will be renting in Melbourne, and I would prefer a warm house if at all possible.

In Japan, the insulation is as bad as Australia, and I literally (no joke) sleep wearing a ski mask during the winter. So I was wondering if I need to pack it with me or not.

Would love to hear from those of you with ducted heating. And while we're on the topic, if you could throw in your monthly heating costs, that would also be greatly appreciated. If they are too high, perhaps we will invest in a punching bag and boxing gloves, instead, and get in shape during the winter months by practicing our kangaroo boxing skills to keep warm.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 2:59 pm
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice
Default Re: Ducted heating? Or should I bring my ski mask?

Originally Posted by tokyo
So I've read about how bad the insulation is in houses. I was wondering if ducted heating is the way to go. Does it keep the house warm? Or does it depend on the house? We will be renting in Melbourne, and I would prefer a warm house if at all possible.

In Japan, the insulation is as bad as Australia, and I literally (no joke) sleep wearing a ski mask during the winter. So I was wondering if I need to pack it with me or not.

Would love to hear from those of you with ducted heating. And while we're on the topic, if you could throw in your monthly heating costs, that would also be greatly appreciated. If they are too high, perhaps we will invest in a punching bag and boxing gloves, instead, and get in shape during the winter months by practicing our kangaroo boxing skills to keep warm.
Ski mask for bed, that really blew me away. Even as a kid in UK I just used to hibernate beneath about 10 blankets!!!

Re ducted heating (WA) after 25 years I have finally had enough, plan to have my air con changed to reverse cycle before next winter. Summer is a breeze, winter pee's me off it is so cold inside.
Cheers
Pauline
Old Jul 20th 2006, 3:13 pm
Lanarkshire Lass

sandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the roughsandradee is a jewel in the rough

We have reverse cycle air con and I have to say its very good, costs next to nothing to run too. Simply put it on in the rooms you want it on, couldnt be simpler, far superior system to central heating as it doesnt make your skin go all dry and dehydrated.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

we have reverse cycle aircon and use it more often for heating than cooling, although we live very close to the ocean and the temps don't get as low as for instance in Jandakot.

Having it on for about 6-7 hours a day (evening, not all rooms) at a temp of 21 degrees we pay about $2 a day if I remember correct.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 10:55 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
we have reverse cycle aircon and use it more often for heating than cooling, although we live very close to the ocean and the temps don't get as low as for instance in Jandakot.

Having it on for about 6-7 hours a day (evening, not all rooms) at a temp of 21 degrees we pay about $2 a day if I remember correct.
Very roughly a medium to large A/C unit will be about 6kW. At a price of about 14c/Kwh that would come to 84c per hour of use.