Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dublin Expo not that good!!!

Dublin Expo not that good!!!

Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:15 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold
Default Dublin Expo not that good!!!

Hi every one

Not sure if any one will get this in time for tomorrow but i went to the dublin expo and it was not that good very small diffidently not as much stands as last year. we were talking to a rep from the Australian government and asked her about the time line for visa application lodged after September she says it will take a year to get your visa.

i hope they are quicker than that i thought they tended to speed up the process on the trades on the modl list.

on a good note got some information on opening a bank account, transferring money for no charge and flights for us and shipment of stuff over to oz
but other than that it was a bit of a disappointment. last year there was a area were only trade people could go in no sign of that and there didnt seem to be as many agency's there either,

Just giving you the heads up
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

louise-ni will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dublin Expo not that good!!!

Hey we were there too! It was our first time so we didnt know what to expect at all. I thought it was quite small. We had a chat with a wrinkly rude lady who practically laughed in my face when I asked a question What we have found out is we gotta wait 18months til hubby has finished his training (which we knew anyway) Noone seemed to be able to tell us much about student visa, all they could tell us was that it was very expensive, we must have looked like gypsies lol they must have thought we couldnt have afforded it
So guess we gotta just wait .......................
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

aus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud ofaus2be has much to be proud of

Hi.

We drove down from the North and have to admit that the expo was not that great either. We did get a chance to have a coffee and chat with our agent, Byron from http://www.australianmigrations.com/, a great lady who has really helped us with this whole process. Especially after Nadine was turned down for the initial Trades assessment.

What she did tell us that since the introduction of Electronic submission we can expect that meds will be requested after about 6 weeks from submission (we submitted last week). Once meds have been received she expects decision in about 12 weeks. She will know more once the first med requests have happened after electronic submission date.

We are applying under a 175 visa (previously 136).

Regards,
Darren
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:32 pm

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by louise-ni
Hey we were there too! It was our first time so we didnt know what to expect at all. I thought it was quite small. We had a chat with a wrinkly rude lady who practically laughed in my face when I asked a question What we have found out is we gotta wait 18months til hubby has finished his training (which we knew anyway) Noone seemed to be able to tell us much about student visa, all they could tell us was that it was very expensive, we must have looked like gypsies lol they must have thought we couldnt have afforded it
So guess we gotta just wait .......................
I wast going to mention that but i found a lot of them a bite rude esp the girl from the oz gov she didnt seem to want to talk to us. also or very straight to the point no chit chat and thats not normal for me and the hubby we love a good ol natter, what time were you there at !
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Baby75
I wast going to mention that but i found a lot of them a bite rude esp the girl from the oz gov she didnt seem to want to talk to us. also or very straight to the point no chit chat and thats not normal for me and the hubby we love a good ol natter, what time were you there at !
We arrived just before 12, had a look around and hubby said "we drove all that way for this" The whole reason we wanted to go was to ask questions but that wrinkly hag made me feel so stupid lol I went to the government dept and a guy called Douglas tried to help us. To be honest he was not very confident and had to keep referring to his papers.
But now I have settled myself as I really wanted to speak 1 to 1 to someone. All I gotta do is now try and talk hubby round to student visa
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by aus2be
Hi.

We drove down from the North and have to admit that the expo was not that great either. We did get a chance to have a coffee and chat with our agent, Byron from http://www.australianmigrations.com/, a great lady who has really helped us with this whole process. Especially after Nadine was turned down for the initial Trades assessment.

What she did tell us that since the introduction of Electronic submission we can expect that meds will be requested after about 6 weeks from submission (we submitted last week). Once meds have been received she expects decision in about 12 weeks. She will know more once the first med requests have happened after electronic submission date.

Regards,
Darren

Good luck you lucky thing! Hope it all goes well for you all
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:43 pm

Hello

Thats brilliant we were going to have a chat with one of the agents but we are applying our selfs using an agent for TRA after the girl said a year i was so disappointed i just want to be gone already...

thanks for sharing that we are apply for the 175 skilled independent visa
good look applying and keep us updated
Niamh

Originally Posted by aus2be
Hi.

Regards,
Darren
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Glad we didn't go.

For us to go would have meant organising babysitters for 4 kids, as we live in the North and they wouldn't dig it.

Anyway, too much to do, going to Tenerife on Tuesday with them all, so home is frantic.

I am glad you posted hear, because if was gut wrenching for us not to go, but I'm glad we didn't miss much.

We are applying for the visa now, as we have got state nomination and TRA through, so it is just the visa, and house sales etc and then we are off.

I didn't like to read that it can take up to a year for a visa now.

Thanks for giving us the heads up,

Crocodileseamus
Old Oct 20th 2007, 8:53 pm

lucky you enjoy the hols

read aus to be post there agent said this (What she did tell us that since the introduction of Electronic submission we can expect that meds will be requested after about 6 weeks from submission (we submitted last week). Once meds have been received she expects decision in about 12 weeks. She will know more once the first med requests have happened after electronic submission date.)

now there agent was referring to their visa but i take hope that it will be quicker for us as well fingers crossed.

do you want me to send you on the info on banks and that
Niamh

Originally Posted by crocodileseamus
Glad we didn't go.

For us to go would have meant organising babysitters for 4 kids, as we live in the North and they wouldn't dig it.

Anyway, too much to do, going to Tenerife on Tuesday with them all, so home is frantic.

I am glad you posted hear, because if was gut wrenching for us not to go, but I'm glad we didn't miss much.

We are applying for the visa now, as we have got state nomination and TRA through, so it is just the visa, and house sales etc and then we are off.

I didn't like to read that it can take up to a year for a visa now.

Thanks for giving us the heads up,

Crocodileseamus
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Hi everyone

We were also at the expo today, We came down from Co Antrim yesterday to make a weekend of it by taking our wee boy to the Zoo. The only person we found unfriendly was the girl at the Singapore Airways desk - she just didnt want to know - felt like asking her why she was there!!!

We were dissapointed that there was no one from Queensland there as that is where we are heading to. However my husband made a good contact with an engineering firm. Also about banking and transferring money.

In regards to DIAC the girl we spoke to was really nice and helpful - we lodged our Visa application on 17th Aug - she told us it would take a year. I think they are just telling everybody the same thing!

It is really good for people who havent started the process yet - you could get a really good sponsored visa out of it - espically Western Oz and Northern Territory. Husband was told he was more or less guaranteed a job in all these states as soon as we have the Visa (but we want Queensland) Good luck to all

Gillian and Mark

PS Hubby is just started to look through all the stuff we got at Expo - got a really useful Recruitment Magazine some good jobs Country Wide..................... in flippin IRELAND!!!!!!?????!!!!!

Last edited by markandgill; Oct 20th 2007 at 9:22 pm. Reason: Just read recruitment mag we got at show
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ahem sorry to sound like a stalker but were you sitting in cafe beside a family of 4? iI could have swore I heard the lady I was sitting beside calling the man Mark???
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

markandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant futuremarkandgill has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by louise-ni
Ahem sorry to sound like a stalker but were you sitting in cafe beside a family of 4? iI could have swore I heard the lady I was sitting beside calling the man Mark???
Could very well have been, there was three of us, me hubby and wee boy of 3
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:27 pm

yep we are moving to the sunshine coast and my hubby said the same thing he wished there was some one from queenland there.

thats great about the engineering firm
we didnt really talk to any one about work as my hubby has a job when he goes over waiting for him.

yep i agree its good for any one looking for info on what visa to go etc i guess im comparing it to last year it was very good and much bigger took.

good look getting to queensland

Originally Posted by markandgill
Hi everyone

We were also at the expo today, We came down from Co Antrim yesterday to make a weekend of it by taking our wee boy to the Zoo. The only person we found unfriendly was the girl at the Singapore Airways desk - she just didnt want to know - felt like asking her why she was there!!!

We were dissapointed that there was no one from Queensland there as that is where we are heading to. However my husband made a good contact with an engineering firm. Also about banking and transferring money.

In regards to DIAC the girl we spoke to was really nice and helpful - we lodged our Visa application on 17th Aug - she told us it would take a year. I think they are just telling everybody the same thing!

It is really good for people who havent started the process yet - you could get a really good sponsored visa out of it - espically Western Oz and Northern Territory. Husband was told he was more or less guaranteed a job in all these states as soon as we have the Visa (but we want Queensland) Good luck to all

Gillian and Mark
Old Oct 20th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Baby75
Hi every one

Not sure if any one will get this in time for tomorrow but i went to the dublin expo and it was not that good very small diffidently not as much stands as last year. we were talking to a rep from the Australian government and asked her about the time line for visa application lodged after September she says it will take a year to get your visa.

i hope they are quicker than that i thought they tended to speed up the process on the trades on the modl list.

on a good note got some information on opening a bank account, transferring money for no charge and flights for us and shipment of stuff over to oz
but other than that it was a bit of a disappointment. last year there was a area were only trade people could go in no sign of that and there didnt seem to be as many agency's there either,

Just giving you the heads up
hi all

we were at the expo as well and were very disappointed, i think the one in belfast last year was far better.
the only good thing we got out of it as someone else said was info on banks.
not long in as we live in co.down and stopped of for a nice tea, so kids are in bed and i'm having a nice relaxing drink after a disappointing day

also thought a few of them were rude as well when i went to talk to one of them she said " ok then i'll just not have a lunch break!" cheeky bag!
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of lightMairead is a glorious beacon of light

Must admit I was very disappointed in this expo as well. We spent about 30 mins at the exhibition and spoke to a few people who really did not have a clue what they were talking about. We were given incorrect advice by two Australian government officials. After driving up from Cork and splashing out on a hotel room for the night it was a complete waste of money!!! A least we manged to dodge the parking guy at the RDS and get free parking !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.