British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Dubai Stopover (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dubai-stopover-724077/)

bezzanbob Jul 8th 2011 7:41 am

Dubai Stopover

Folks,

Does anyone have good advice regarding Dubai and one night stopover? :confused:

Looking for insight as to hotel location, getting to and from airport, and any must do's and how to get there.

Many thanks

Bezza

Kim67 Jul 8th 2011 8:33 am

Re: Dubai Stopover

Millions of hotels within a quick taxi ride of airport. Dubai's really not that big and hotels are cheap. I think a must do is a trip to Dubai Mall, go up the world's tallest building, followed by a meal at one of the restaurant's overlooking the fountains (in summer I think they usually start going off about 7pm).

bezzanbob Jul 8th 2011 10:45 am

We are only there for 24 hours so basic and close hotel is the way we are thinking.

Seems the metro is a good way to get around.

Still Game Jul 8th 2011 11:54 am

Originally Posted by bezzanbob (Post 9482625)
Folks,

Does anyone have good advice regarding Dubai and one night stopover? :confused:

Looking for insight as to hotel location, getting to and from airport, and any must do's and how to get there.

Many thanks

Bezza

We travel Glasgow to Perth when we visit Australia (6 times now) and we usually stop over in Dubai if we have the 12 hour wait between flights. We stay at the Dubai International airport. This is located within the airport and if you contact the hotel beforehand they will greet you at the arrival gate and whisk you through security. Book in advance or you may pay over the odds. On occasion if you book directly wtih Emirates and they cannot offer a flight with a better connection, they will pay for the hotel - however this has to be confirmed beforehand. We haven't travelled outwith the airport so can't give advice on that.

Red_V_Roger Jul 8th 2011 10:48 pm

The Hilton Dubai City (not the one on the beach) offers free limo transfer if you book an executive room.

tartankoala Jul 9th 2011 12:57 am

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice (Post 9482985)
We travel Glasgow to Perth when we visit Australia (6 times now) and we usually stop over in Dubai if we have the 12 hour wait between flights. We stay at the Dubai International airport. This is located within the airport and if you contact the hotel beforehand they will greet you at the arrival gate and whisk you through security. Book in advance or you may pay over the odds. On occasion if you book directly wtih Emirates and they cannot offer a flight with a better connection, they will pay for the hotel - however this has to be confirmed beforehand. We haven't travelled outwith the airport so can't give advice on that.

This. We've flown twice from Glasgow to Sydney via Dubai and both times Emirates have put us up in the Dubai International. It's a really nice hotel about a 10min transfer from the airport. It's great to get off the plane, stretch your legs and have a quick nap even if it's only for a few hours.

Kim67 Jul 9th 2011 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Kim67 (Post 9482684)
Millions of hotels within a quick taxi ride of airport. Dubai's really not that big and hotels are cheap. I think a must do is a trip to Dubai Mall, go up the world's tallest building, followed by a meal at one of the restaurant's overlooking the fountains (in summer I think they usually start going off about 7pm).

I meant taxi's are cheap. They're the easiest way to get around Dubai because the metro doesn't do the whole city and buses are not really used by westerners that much.

tartankoala Jul 10th 2011 1:00 am

If you take a taxi in Dubai best to close your eyes for the entire trip! You don't want to see what speed they are doing or the manoeuvres of your fellow road users!

Kim67 Jul 10th 2011 5:55 am

Originally Posted by tartankoala (Post 9485721)
If you take a taxi in Dubai best to close your eyes for the entire trip! You don't want to see what speed they are doing or the manoeuvres of your fellow road users!

Don't worry, everyone on the road drives like that, you get used to it.