Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Dubai or Australia? Teens especially!

Dubai or Australia? Teens especially!

Old Jun 30th 2014, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai or Australia? Teens especially!

Originally Posted by Poitin
Unfortunately the consequences of both drinking underage and sex are far less in Australia.(not that I would encourage either for my children).

I think anyone that has lived in the middle east knows some sad stories of what teenagers got up to there.

For the original poster Australia would be my choice for teenagers - safe,healthier and more opportunities.

Poitin -My oldest was 11 when we left - best decision ever.
Yeah Poitin, fortunately we got our kids out before all that really crappy teenage stuff happened. As we know, Dubai's like a big old country town and every time something crazy happens, everyone knows the person involved or one of their friends or family so it hits a little closer to home.

You know I wouldn't encourage teenagers to have underage sex, but we all know the stories of families having to get their teenage daughter out of the country because both abortion and unmarried pregnancies are illegal. Not much choice if something goes wrong. We also know of all the young ladies rotting in Dubai prisons because they reported the fact that they'd been raped and ended up being charged for having sex outside of marriage. Of the charities in Dubai who take these young women nappies and baby formula for the babies born in prison and not provided with any clothing or nappies for them. How the prison lights are kept on all the time, so the babies don't know night from day and end up hungry and crying all day and night.

Dubai is a great place for expats if you're on the right side of the law and I felt completely safe walking down the street at midnight with my kids, but fall foul of the law and it's another story.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 3:44 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I don't know why anyone would want to raise their western children in a backward musllim country that practices strict sharia law

I like money as much as anyone else but there is more to life that money
Old Jun 30th 2014, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why anyone would want to raise their western children in a backward musllim country that practices strict sharia law

Not everyone goes there to make a squillion dollars or have a full time maid or Friday Brunch every weekend. It's a pretty good cultural experience and when the kids are young, it's a fantastic lifestyle. You're close to most places for holidaying (school camps to Europe etc). Imagine being a primary school kid, going to school with mates from all over the world and all accepting each other without question. Coming home to your six bedroom, six bathroom compound villa, where you quickly do your homework, and then head outside to a backyard you share with about 40 other families, a couple of pools, a gym, somewhere safe to ride your bike, skateboard, heelie - there are a couple of kids with amps and instruments having a bit of a jam and anyone can go and join in - head down to the local mall and go for a ski, it really is a great lifestyle for the young ones.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Not everyone goes there to make a squillion dollars or have a full time maid or Friday Brunch every weekend. It's a pretty good cultural experience and when the kids are young, it's a fantastic lifestyle. You're close to most places for holidaying (school camps to Europe etc). Imagine being a primary school kid, going to school with mates from all over the world and all accepting each other without question. Coming home to your six bedroom, six bathroom compound villa, where you quickly do your homework, and then head outside to a backyard you share with about 40 other families, a couple of pools, a gym, somewhere safe to ride your bike, skateboard, heelie - there are a couple of kids with amps and instruments having a bit of a jam and anyone can go and join in - head down to the local mall and go for a ski, it really is a great lifestyle for the young ones.
cool

each to their own
Old Jun 30th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy bacon in the pork shop.
Wow. Many years ago in Turkey there was just one shop which sold paper-thin slices of bacon, literally from under the counter. Our only access to pork was via the American military base.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 11:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lesleys
Wow. Many years ago in Turkey there was just one shop which sold paper-thin slices of bacon, literally from under the counter. Our only access to pork was via the American military base.
Was in Singapore a couple of weeks ago. Hotel breakfast was chicken sausages and beef bacon. Not a piece of pig to be found all week........ and this was Singapore.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 12:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Poitin, fortunately we got our kids out before all that really crappy teenage stuff happened. As we know, Dubai's like a big old country town and every time something crazy happens, everyone knows the person involved or one of their friends or family so it hits a little closer to home.

You know I wouldn't encourage teenagers to have underage sex, but we all know the stories of families having to get their teenage daughter out of the country because both abortion and unmarried pregnancies are illegal. Not much choice if something goes wrong. We also know of all the young ladies rotting in Dubai prisons because they reported the fact that they'd been raped and ended up being charged for having sex outside of marriage. Of the charities in Dubai who take these young women nappies and baby formula for the babies born in prison and not provided with any clothing or nappies for them. How the prison lights are kept on all the time, so the babies don't know night from day and end up hungry and crying all day and night.

Dubai is a great place for expats if you're on the right side of the law and I felt completely safe walking down the street at midnight with my kids, but fall foul of the law and it's another story.
A very informative (and sad in part) post, Kim.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 1:59 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Was in Singapore a couple of weeks ago. Hotel breakfast was chicken sausages and beef bacon. Not a piece of pig to be found all week........ and this was Singapore.
We had Burger King in Singapore and the bacon was turkey bacon, it was really nice. I'd eat that again.
Old Jul 1st 2014, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
We had Burger King in Singapore and the bacon was turkey bacon, it was really nice. I'd eat that again.
Yep I did not mind chicken sausages and beef bacon either. Though after a week I had a hankering for some pig.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

All else being equal, Australia would be the easy choice. I though the only reason many people would move to Dubai is because of economic reasons. Kind of like the choice between earning $100k in Australia or $250k in Dubai - that makes it attractive, but I can't think of any other reason.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 3:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
All else being equal, Australia would be the easy choice. I though the only reason many people would move to Dubai is because of economic reasons. Kind of like the choice between earning $100k in Australia or $250k in Dubai - that makes it attractive, but I can't think of any other reason.
agree
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chalkerwalker1
Hi,
Looking for the family either to move to Adeliade, Australia or to Dubai, UAE. We have job offers in both places, with comfortable salaries. The job is as a Consultant Surgeon at a goverment and private in both locations. I have done research into both locations and know about social freedoms, rights, lifestyles and laws ect. I'm only 13, and would love to move somewhere where I can meet new friends ect. One advantage of Dubai is that I and my parents would both meet fellow expat friends, looking to explore other parts of the world and at the end of the day, have fun! People say the luxurious expat lifestyle is one to love with huge lifestyle and financial advantages. I would love to grow up in another country with fellow expat children!
But on the other hand Australia and it's fantastic lifestyle calls! Adeliade is know as the nicest city to live in, as it has easy living and it's only 20 mins to CBD, hills and sea. Do you think growing up in Austrlaia would be better than Dubai? I am currently stuck in this mindset of choosing either Dubai or Australia. Someone please just say what you think!
Thanks
Dubai just because its center of the world (4-5 hours flight from UK/Europe). Emirates airline and lot of huge businesses (job/career opportunities) are there for children.All world brands are in Dubai. Big multinationals and tax free. Dubai have huge investment coming in Dubai.You say 20 mins to Adelaide CBD but Adelaide CBD is a small village when compared to Dubai CBD.There is simply not enough CBD material in Adelaide CBD. Growing up in UAE will give more exposure and career opportunities to your children then growing them up in Adelaide or Hobart. After 6pm Adelaide is completely closed and because of huge investment coming into UAE there are higher research opportunities for children.

Last edited by economy_1; Jul 22nd 2014 at 11:11 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

economy_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

In terms of GDP, world brands and tax free lifestyle Dubai (UAE) is far ahead then many backward western countries. UAE and Middle East have already given tough competition to several western countries specially airline business (Emriates V/s Qantas etc.).

If you mean life milking cows in South Australia while paying 30-40 percent in taxes which money in-turn goes to new PR immigrants driving taxis well it can be your choice but lot of people like career growth,exposure,competition,cheaper flights and specially short flight distances.

Last edited by economy_1; Jul 22nd 2014 at 11:14 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 11:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Slippery slope....

I wouldn't give the OP the satisfaction - he/she is obviously just someone with way too much time on their hands, and thought it might be 'funny' to encourage a bit of online slagging. What a dickhead.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:46 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Slippery slope....

I wouldn't give the OP the satisfaction - he/she is obviously just someone with way too much time on their hands, and thought it might be 'funny' to encourage a bit of online slagging. What a dickhead.
He/she claims to be a 13 year old looking for advice. Certainly the post reads like that of a young teen. Until we know different I think we should assume the OP is a child and address him/her as such.

OP: Australia every time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.