Dubai Airport

Old Oct 29th 2012, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dubai Airport

I'm travelling back to the UK for Xmas via Dubai. My transfer is something like 8hours, just wondering if I could get away with booking a lounge & get some kip in there or will have to shell out for a hotel room?

Cheers,
Chrisall
Old Oct 29th 2012, 11:43 am
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai Airport

Originally Posted by chrisall
I'm travelling back to the UK for Xmas via Dubai. My transfer is something like 8hours, just wondering if I could get away with booking a lounge & get some kip in there or will have to shell out for a hotel room?

Cheers,
Chrisall
Some ideas for you time in the airport.

http://www.layoverguide.com/2012/05/...it-hub-in.html.

If you are flying economy, apparently the Marhaba lounge is $45 for 4 hours.
You can be the best part of an hour getting off the plane and into the terminal = 7 hours left.

You will need to be at the gate with around 1-2 hours before boarding (at least I would) = 5 hours left.

4 hours in the Marhaba lounge and an hour to look around the shops and there goes you 8 hours.

I had a delay of around 6 hours once in Dubai, but couldn't do much as the could call the flight at any time.

Last edited by h2oskineil; Oct 29th 2012 at 11:55 am.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 12:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Chrisall
When I travelled to Canada with Emirates my stopover was 8 hours and the airline gave me a hotel free of charge. Contact Emirates and ask them about the transit hotel.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 3:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Do what everyone else seems to do, spread yourself out on the walkways and kip there. I've never seen so many 'bodies' lying around as I have at Dubai.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Iv got 1:35hr between flights thank god. Plenty of time to transfer. Dubai is boring after 50ft as all the shops are the same. Don't go for a coffee next to the smoking room either, it's like the cancer room! It's horrific.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Cheers,
Chrisall

Can you not change your flight so transfer time is a lot less?
Old Oct 30th 2012, 5:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Often with Emirates the short transfer options are more expensive.

Generally the free hotel option isn't available if a shorter connection option exists but you chose not to select it.
Old Oct 30th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

It was $90 between 8hr stop and 1.35hr.. Worth it in my eyes!
Old Oct 31st 2012, 1:07 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

It was $90 between 8hr stop and 1.35hr.. Worth it in my eyes!
$90 for a 6 hour saving is SOOO worth it. (I've not travelled through Dubai - but any transit stop anywhere longer than 3 hours is worth avoiding if you can).

...Just imagine if that kind of cost/time reduction was completely linear. You could pay just an extra $360 and shave 24 hours off your trip arriving immediately - how awesome would that be?! (sorry...not helpful )
Old Nov 3rd 2012, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

chrisall is an unknown quantity at this point

Usually it's about 3hrs but I wanted to try out the A380 for a change so had to go for the long stopover.

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
...If you are flying economy, apparently the Marhaba lounge is $45 for 4 hours.
You can be the best part of an hour getting off the plane and into the terminal = 7 hours left.

You will need to be at the gate with around 1-2 hours before boarding (at least I would) = 5 hours left.

4 hours in the Marhaba lounge and an hour to look around the shops and there goes you 8 hours....
Thanks, that's pretty much what I had in mind & the layover guide site is useful.

Cheers,
Chrisall