Reload this Page >

Dual citizenship where not allowed

Dual citizenship where not allowed

Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:24 am
Just Joined

jindra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual citizenship where not allowed

Hi there,

After couple of wonderful years here we have decided back to Europe. However we like it here and would like to have an option to come back anytime we want. I qualify for the Australian passport, however my country (Czech Republic) does not allow a dual citizenship and by accepting the Australian citizenship I would loose my Czech one.

I’m just wondering how the Czech authorities can find out I obtained Australian citizenship? Can I get away with keeping it as a little secret? Or are there some common international treaties and countries cooperate in such matters?

I know it is not really question for you British folks who are lucky not to have such silly law. But some other nationalities have the same rules (Dutch, Germans, Austrians)? Any ideas?

Jindra
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual citizenship where not allowed

Originally posted by jindra
Hi there,

After couple of wonderful years here we have decided back to Europe. However we like it here and would like to have an option to come back anytime we want. I qualify for the Australian passport, however my country (Czech Republic) does not allow a dual citizenship and by accepting the Australian citizenship I would loose my Czech one.

I’m just wondering how the Czech authorities can find out I obtained Australian citizenship? Can I get away with keeping it as a little secret? Or are there some common international treaties and countries cooperate in such matters?

I know it is not really question for you British folks who are lucky not to have such silly law. But some other nationalities have the same rules (Dutch, Germans, Austrians)? Any ideas?

Jindra
Hi Jindra
Not sure about this one, but try the Europe forum if you don't get an answer here, or possibly ask Alan Collett at Go Matilda.
Old Sep 29th 2003, 10:38 am
tennisoz

Originally posted by jindra
Hi there,

Jindra
Jindra

Yes, the governments do let each know!! In 1983 I applied for UK citizenship and wrote to the Australian government and UK government to see if I could have dual citizenship (to go with my Australian). No worries both said. I duly got my British citizenship but got a letter from the Australian High Commission in London a week later to say I had lost my Australian citizenship because I had knowingly applied for citizenship of another country!!

What happened was that the government changed in Australia while my application was being considered and they changed the immigration laws to prevent dual citizenship. To cut a long story short I eventually got it back after 100's of appeal letters, phone calls etc, 6 years later in 1989. Ironically the law was changed in Australia last year I think to allow dual citizenship (IF it is permitted by your original country).

If the Czech authorities are like the Australian ones it will be difficult to get your Czech citizenship back if they take it away (my feeling is they will once the Australian authorities automatically notify them).

I'll leave it to the experts to give you advice on what you should do but my experience suggests you should not apply for Australian citizenship in the hope the Czech authorities will not find out about it.

Czech mate!!

TennisOz

Old Oct 7th 2003, 11:18 am
Just Joined

jindra is an unknown quantity at this point

TennisOz,

Your story sounds quite scary! Well, I think I'm not taking the risk!

Thanks,
Jindra
Old Oct 7th 2003, 7:54 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Hi Jindra,
have you thought about getting a UK passport before emmigrating?
Being an EU citizen you can settle in any of the EU countries, and the UK allows dule nationality.
My wife is Ukranian and is the same as the Czech Republic in not allowing you to have other nationalities. We hope to get over the problem this way when they eventually join.

Regards
Markeh