Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

dual citizenship

dual citizenship

Old Jan 3rd 2005, 5:04 pm
arrive QLD 10th June

sonic3829 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question dual citizenship

My family and I will be going to Australia in June on a permenat visa (subclass 120/855). I'm taking up a post within the Australian army and after 90 days can apply for citizenship. Does anybody know if this means I could have dual citizenship or would I lose my British Passport.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 5:06 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dual citizenship

Originally Posted by sonic3829
My family and I will be going to Australia in June on a permenat visa (subclass 120/855). I'm taking up a post within the Australian army and after 90 days can apply for citizenship. Does anybody know if this means I could have dual citizenship or would I lose my British Passport.
Welcome!
I've no idea about your particular visa class but generally speaking yes you can be a dual Biritish / Australian national, holding 2 passports.
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 6:53 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
Welcome!
I've no idea about your particular visa class but generally speaking yes you can be a dual Biritish / Australian national, holding 2 passports.
The visa is a special type of employer nomination called Labour Agreement. Not that common.

With three months service in the Australian Defence Forces, one can apply for citizenship without having any residence requirement. And this is likely to be obligatory for a non-citizen.

DIMIA has no problem with you keeping British citizenship/passport. You'll need to check to make sure the ADF has no problem as well (it shouldn't have provided you become an Australian citizen).

Jeremy
Old Jan 3rd 2005, 9:45 pm
arrive QLD 10th June

sonic3829 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
The visa is a special type of employer nomination called Labour Agreement. Not that common.

With three months service in the Australian Defence Forces, one can apply for citizenship without having any residence requirement. And this is likely to be obligatory for a non-citizen.

DIMIA has no problem with you keeping British citizenship/passport. You'll need to check to make sure the ADF has no problem as well (it shouldn't have provided you become an Australian citizen).

Jeremy
Thanks for that info, good to keep my british passport not that I'd want to go back to UK anyway.