British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   DRYLINER LOOKING FOR WORK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/dryliner-looking-work-582693/)

danielcraghill Jan 8th 2009 12:24 pm

DRYLINER LOOKING FOR WORK

hi i am 24 and have been granted my working visa, i am a fully city and guilds qualified dryliner which involves all aspects of plaster board work, tacking sticking (dot and dab) and metal stud partion which includes MFC.

i have been searching the internet for avaliable jobs in drylining in the sydney but am struggling to find anything, im not sure if its because they dont use the term dryling or there just isnt any plasterboard work avaliable???

i would really appreciate if anyone can either give me some contacts or just any general help?? many thanks and hope to get a response soon

:confused:

dave99 Jan 8th 2009 2:58 pm

Re: DRYLINER LOOKING FOR WORK

I think the wording for the job might be different, thats pretty common here. From what I have seen theres always lots of construction related work around, here in perth they are always building new housing areas. These often sit for years as they just dont have enough workers to get them started, I am guessing your work would apply to new builds as well?

One thing to keep in mind is that your qualifications will not be recognised over here and you may have to take a short course to be able to work in a trade. If you say city and guilds, BTEC, GNVQ anything like that to an employer over here you just get blank stares, they havent got a clue about them.

I am sure someone who knows more about this are will be along soon...

danielcraghill Jan 8th 2009 3:21 pm

hey thanks alot for the reply, its so hard to find contacts in the building trade,, ive tried googling for drylining companies but like i said i dont know if thats the correct termanology for the job.

so again anyone with any contacts or places to find people i can contact would be very much appreciated.

HELP!!!! :blink:

butch&shell Jan 9th 2009 7:20 am

try the term gyprockers

cresta57 Jan 9th 2009 7:40 am

In Qld we call them plasterers, don't worry about courses or anything if your going to work for someone else, you won't need to do any other than your Blue Card. Plasterers tend to work in gangs of 3 or 4, often one gang does the sheeting and another does the taping & filling. The company that does work for the same guys we work for use one gang to sheet, another to tape & fill, another to do the cornicing and yet another to do the sanding & pre-paint. How they make any money is a mystery to me:blink::blink:

Geelong Gent Jan 9th 2009 8:26 am

Originally Posted by cresta57 (Post 7144263)
The company that does work for the same guys we work for use one gang to sheet, another to tape & fill, another to do the cornicing and yet another to do the sanding & pre-paint. How they make any money is a mystery to me:blink::blink:

Process efficiency

cresta57 Jan 9th 2009 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent (Post 7144345)
Process efficiency

No, that would be the case if they each did a good job:(
It can't be cost effective either as they all drive up to Tin Can Bay from their South Brisbane base each day [3 hours each way] they get paid a healthy fuel/travel allowance as well. Two blokes take a full day to do what 1 local guy did in half the time with no travel costs. They aren't just slow either they are reassuringly rough as guts as well:ohmy:

darrellandsarah Jan 9th 2009 10:54 am

:lol::lol:bit like the company i started working for today.they pay 3 guys to come up from melbourne to redcliffe to fix metal cladding on the side of prefabs.work i have done in the uk as a chippy yet a plumber does it here.madness but i ain,t complaining

SBOZ Jan 9th 2009 11:02 am

... True, when I first started doing the three area's together (stud,boarding and finish) it took 3 jobs at least until people would believe one man (and a lacky) would and could do it :rofl: ..and now I inc paint to!.. bless em :)

danielcraghill Jan 9th 2009 12:21 pm

so your in australia working as a dryliner now? i dont spose you can tell me how you found work and maybe give me a contact? cheerssssss