Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drunken night out....

Drunken night out....

Old Sep 12th 2003, 5:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drunken night out....

Well, the Bloke is en route back to sunny Brisbane and I'm back seeking solace from the expats site!
Don't know if this will work but I'm hopefully attaching a photo of us, with a friend from work; the Bloke is the one looking stunned - must be the effects of all that beer!The guy in white is my long-suffering workmate!

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 6th 2007 at 9:49 am.
Old Sep 12th 2003, 5:21 pm
Badge

Default Re: Drunken night out....

Originally posted by Pollyana
Well, the Bloke is en route back to sunny Brisbane and I'm back seeking solace from the expats site!
Don't know if this will work but I'm hopefully attaching a photo of us, with a friend from work; the Bloke is the one looking stunned - must be the effects of all that beer!The guy in white is my long-suffering workmate!
Good stuff Polyanna!! The Bloke had a good old crack at the UK didn't he? Could he live here? What were his conclusions on Sussex and the South East?

Badgers

Old Sep 12th 2003, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

If I remember rightly he arrived during the heatwave, that must have led to some confusion. 'You told me it is always cold and rainy in Blighty!'

Hope he enjoyed his trip ( sure he did with you around!) It will be interesting to hear what he thought of the place.

Get packing!!
Old Sep 12th 2003, 6:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, he arrived on the hottest day of the year! Had a couple of days of rain later though, and left today complaining of the cold!!

Overall he enjoyed it - said he'll give the UK 8 out of 10!

As for his views of the UK - Part 1 - he found it generally dirtier than Oz, the air more polluted, more rubbish in the streets - couldn't believe the way people just drop litter etc. Things like putting out rubbish bags for the dustmen - which promptly get destroyed by seagulls and spread all down the street!
We drove about 1600 miles while he was here - he was amazed that the general speed of the traffic is so much faster, and drivers are more aggressive. Aussie drivers also seem to be generally less reckless - he said there is more use of indicators over there, and people are just more courteous to other road users. He also found the roads (and the cars) much smaller! Took him down some narrow country lanes up in Somerset and Wiltshire - scared the life out of him!
He said most Brits were quite pleasant to him, but the rest were at the other extreme. Rude shop assistants, dubious service in some restaurants and hotels, but he also made some good friends and we had a great time. Also seems to have got on well with all my family! (Hooray!!)
No contest really though - he freely admitted theres no way he could live over here (thank goodness for that!)
I'll post some more as his comments come to mind!