Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drummoyne, Sydney, help pls

Drummoyne, Sydney, help pls

Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Drummoyne, Sydney, help pls

Hi, we are a family of four with two young children and are relocating to Sydney frm Melbourne (we've been here for 15 months) in the next few weeks. My OH will be based at 'Erskinville' in Sydney, so are looking at somewhere close to there, we have heard of 'Drummoyne', does anyone out there know this area at all? any other areas to look at which are family friendly around there? any help be much appreciated! thx in advance, ann
Old Jan 20th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drummoyne, Sydney, help pls

Originally Posted by happy4 View Post
Hi, we are a family of four with two young children and are relocating to Sydney frm Melbourne (we've been here for 15 months) in the next few weeks. My OH will be based at 'Erskinville' in Sydney, so are looking at somewhere close to there, we have heard of 'Drummoyne', does anyone out there know this area at all? any other areas to look at which are family friendly around there? any help be much appreciated! thx in advance, ann
I know Drummoyne. (I know everywhere ). It's a nice suburb, surrounded by water on three sides and not far from the CBD.

Only downside is that the horrendously busy Victoria Road runs though it. Not a cheap suburb but a nice place to live if you can afford it. Loads of Italian restaurants nearby and Balmain just up the road.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:02 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I know Drummoyne. (I know everywhere ). It's a nice suburb, surrounded by water on three sides and not far from the CBD.

Only downside is that the horrendously busy Victoria Road runs though it. Not a cheap suburb but a nice place to live if you can afford it. Loads of Italian restaurants nearby and Balmain just up the road.
Victoria Road is also a huge traffic jam in the morning and the bus to the city is a nightmare. Would you describe it as family friendly?
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

happy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond reputehappy4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
Victoria Road is also a huge traffic jam in the morning and the bus to the city is a nightmare. Would you describe it as family friendly?
Would I? Not quite sure what you mean?!! Haven't been there yet, OH flew up there tonight so I will advise him to visit Vic Road at rush hour to see how long it takes to travel to and from work. Thx.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Hi nickyC, where abts do you live? We are also looking at Bronte, Coogee and Maroubra.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM View Post
Yes, I would. Lots of family-sized houses. It's also got a great harbourside pool, and sailing and rowing clubs nearby. It's in a convenient spot too - particularly if you don't work in the city (although you could catch a ferry there to avoid the traffic on Victoria Road). Good for commuting to somewhere like North Ryde or Parramatta .
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi nickyC, where abts do you live? We are also looking at Bronte, Coogee and Maroubra.
I live in Coogee. It's great here, too.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

I live in Coogee. It's great here, too.
Our children are 4 and 2, we are looking for a house, up to $800 a week. Is Coogee or Drummoyne more likely to suit children, thats our problem, kinders etc...what's Coogee like and do you have children? Lot's of questions!!
Old Jan 20th 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Our children are 4 and 2, we are looking for a house, up to $800 a week. Is Coogee or Drummoyne more likely to suit children, thats our problem, kinders etc...what's Coogee like and do you have children? Lot's of questions!!
My kids are 19 and 21 now - but we've lived around here since they were born. The eastern suburbs are great for kids - heaps of pre-schools, kindergartens, kids activities of all types, huge parks etc plus the beach of course. You can't go wrong around here, plus it's great for parents too - with lots of restaurants and cafes.

I've never lived in Drummoyne but did live nearby in Balmain once. Drummoyne has all the usual kids facilities - schools, pre-schools etc - all the nice Sydney suburbs do. It's a fair way to the beach, but that won't stop kids being able to swim. It's quieter around there, than it is here (once you get away from Victoria Road) - a bit more suburban but no way is it McMansionland, it has a lot of 1920/30's housing so has some character.

You'd get more house for your money in Drummoyne. Rents are higher in the east.
Old Jan 20th 2008, 1:00 pm
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

i lived in Drummoyne in the 1980's
i lived on Victoria Rd
i loved it there..it's in easy reach to everywhere and has some lovely quiet bits and nice parks
Ryde swimming pool is great and there's ferries to the city, easy to get buses everywhere.. i wouldn't mind living there but i expect the property is very expensive there now
Old Jan 21st 2008, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice

Be very careful about the flight path noise in Drummoyne - it's a shocker.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Josie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud ofJosie1100 has much to be proud of

We have moved into a house in Maroubra. It is great for the commute to the city but not sure if it is where we will stay. I have fallen in love with Coogee and that would be my first choice. Maroubra does have some good and bad areas. We have struggled getting our kids into a school that was outside of our catchment school area. We have luckily got them into another school at nearby Malabar.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 9:37 am
Just Joined

Mick in Sydney is an unknown quantity at this point

I live near to Drummoyne and it's an OK area but has terrible traffic (yes, Victoria Rd) and little public transport. Like most of the inner west it is very densely packed housing with very few parks or open spaces. I was quite surprsised by this when I moved here, believing Australia to be an 'outdoor' country. Like the others have said, if yu can afford to go east to somehwre like Coogee then go for it. Erskineville has a train station and you could feasibly commute there from the North Shore, which is more family friendly than the inner west.