British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Drugs and crime in Australia (Off Topic posts moved from family of five thread) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/drugs-crime-australia-off-topic-posts-moved-family-five-thread-937385/)

Amazulu Feb 27th 2021 11:57 pm

Drugs and crime in Australia (Off Topic posts moved from family of five thread)

Originally Posted by Dannyf2286 (Post 12977660)
The whole ice/meth situation is a little off putting but most places have their issues, think it would be hard to find a city without a drug problem. After speaking with an agent yesterday who sorts out the whole process he told us that obtaining a visa in 2021 is going to be near impossible we are deciding to focus on getting my work permit sorted and getting my partners registration completed so once the visa situation improves we can get going was hoping to be there by next Feb for the start of the school year for the kids but seeming less likely the more we speak to people. Little disheartening but the more time we are in England the more money we can save for the move. Thanks all for comments and advice it means a lot and given us something to think about.

All Western countries have drug problems - I saw injecting rooms in Basel Switzerland - and Australia is no different, so don't let this issue be a deciding factor about whether to move here or not. Australia is a fantastic place to live with the benefits definitely outweighing the problems. I couldn't find an easily accessible link to the EIU's Where To Be Born index, but this will give you an idea: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...countries.html

Good luck

the troubadour Feb 28th 2021 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12978224)
All Western countries have drug problems - I saw injecting rooms in Basel Switzerland - and Australia is no different, so don't let this issue be a deciding factor about whether to move here or not. Australia is a fantastic place to live with the benefits definitely outweighing the problems. I couldn't find an easily accessible link to the EIU's Where To Be Born index, but this will give you an idea: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...countries.html

Good luck

You saw injecting rooms in CH. Well how about that? Why look so far and not look closer to your adopted country Australia. The first opened here in Kings Cross way back at the turn of the century. Melbourne has at least one in Richmond as well. While drugs have long been an issue in Australia, meth and similar drugs take it to another level. We in Australia are probably the biggest users of this rather horrible drug, which can create extreme violence and psychotic episodes in people. Don't write it off as just another drug. It is having a major impact within society and is everywhere impacting severely on many . It is certainly an issue to keep in mind and the reality is Australia doesn't differ much these days on a living basis outside of weather and a few related things. UK has a free health system as well as a pension not means tested , (to compensate ) Further, I would be looking at something more evident to support claim around Australia's position in where to be born, rather than relying on 2013 figures. Over inflated housing prices, stagnating pay rates for money, poor aged care provision, not to say corruption that keeps raising its head in many areas of local government and beyond, before we even get to the drug problem are all suggestive of far lower rating.

Beoz Feb 28th 2021 4:42 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12978020)
More than a little off putting and we are looking to sell up and move out of close city location. Just unsure where as of yet as it is everywhere. We're not talking just drugs here, but the potential for extreme violence. I suspect 2021 will prove a difficult year to move. Probably 2022 will prove feasible, is still desired. Although nothing wrong with England, especially when virus is contained.

What's everywhere? Drugs? Violence? Are you saying there is no where in Australia you can live because of drugs and violence?

I wonder how the other 25 million Australian cope.

Amazulu Feb 28th 2021 7:47 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12978246)
You saw injecting rooms in CH. Well how about that? Why look so far and not look closer to your adopted country Australia. The first opened here in Kings Cross way back at the turn of the century. Melbourne has at least one in Richmond as well. While drugs have long been an issue in Australia, meth and similar drugs take it to another level. We in Australia are probably the biggest users of this rather horrible drug, which can create extreme violence and psychotic episodes in people. Don't write it off as just another drug. It is having a major impact within society and is everywhere impacting severely on many . It is certainly an issue to keep in mind and the reality is Australia doesn't differ much these days on a living basis outside of weather and a few related things. UK has a free health system as well as a pension not means tested , (to compensate ) Further, I would be looking at something more evident to support claim around Australia's position in where to be born, rather than relying on 2013 figures. Over inflated housing prices, stagnating pay rates for money, poor aged care provision, not to say corruption that keeps raising its head in many areas of local government and beyond, before we even get to the drug problem are all suggestive of far lower rating.

Here we go again

Please point out - the specific sentence please - where I stated that there were no injecting rooms in Australia
All western countries have drug problems. Agree that ice is a terrible drug and that Australia has a problem with it - but it shouldn't be a deciding factor about whether to emigrate from the UK or not, as that nation also has serious drug problems
Australia has a largely free health system that is affordable to the taxpayer and is sustainable - whereas the UK's everything free for everyone, forever, which is currently costing GBP190 billion per year, is not
In this country, people provide their own pensions - with a safety net for those who don't. Just think, in this country, you could live your whole life not paying a cent in tax, yet get provided with a pension until you die. How f**king good is that! The pension model of Western Europe, where the state provides for everything, is broken - as will become evident in the next few decades
The data from the EIU is academically rigorous (unlike the opinion of some geezer with an axe to grind on the internet). They may have published data after 2013 (which will show something similar) but it looks like it's behind a paywall. I will endeavour to find out either way. Either way, their data is excellent - good enough for Masters level assignments anyway
House prices rise all over the world - but only in Australia according to you
Incomes may be stagnant but they are still high by international standards - certainly generally higher that the UK and Germany. Like everywhere, inflation is very low - the feedback loop in other words
Aged care in the UK is, overall, not that great either
Corruption is everywhere champ, but in Australia, like most western countries, is low. Have a look at the CPI Index - we sit towards the top, roughly between Germany, the UK and Austria

This may be my last post on this as, have I have stated many times before, debating with you is like debating with a cornflakes box - basically pointless. Your understanding of even basic economic principles - school level stuff - is non-existent

brits1 Feb 28th 2021 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12978267)
Here we go again

Please point out - the specific sentence please - where I stated that there were no injecting rooms in Australia
All western countries have drug problems. Agree that ice is a terrible drug and that Australia has a problem with it - but it shouldn't be a deciding factor about whether to emigrate from the UK or not, as that nation also has serious drug problems
Australia has a largely free health system that is affordable to the taxpayer and is sustainable - whereas the UK's everything free for everyone, forever, which is currently costing GBP190 billion per year, is not
In this country, people provide their own pensions - with a safety net for those who don't. Just think, in this country, you could live your whole life not paying a cent in tax, yet get provided with a pension until you die. How f**king good is that! The pension model of Western Europe, where the state provides for everything, is broken - as will become evident in the next few decades
The data from the EIU is academically rigorous (unlike the opinion of some geezer with an axe to grind on the internet). They may have published data after 2013 (which will show something similar) but it looks like it's behind a paywall. I will endeavour to find out either way. Either way, their data is excellent - good enough for Masters level assignments anyway
Incomes may be stagnant but they are still high by international standards - certainly generally higher that the UK and Germany. Like everywhere, inflation is very low - the feedback loop in other words
Corruption is everywhere champ, but in Australia, like most western countries, is low. Have a look at the CPI Index - we sit towards the top, roughly between Germany, the UK and Austria

This may be my last post on this as, have I have stated many times before, debating with you is like debating with a cornflakes box - basically pointless. Your understanding of even basic economic principles - school level stuff - is non-existent

And here was me thinking Shangri-la did not exist.

the troubadour Feb 28th 2021 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12978257)
What's everywhere? Drugs? Violence? Are you saying there is no where in Australia you can live because of drugs and violence?

I wonder how the other 25 million Australian cope.

As mentioned the drug ice. I don't expect 25 million Australians are aware of it necessarily. Although many have a relative or child either victim or indeed involved. It could be in your street without you necessarily being aware. Most in my area are professional people with a few students. I only became aware when a rogue element took up residence nearby and over time drama after drama ensued. What I am saying is drugs are very widespread in Australia and take a good look at the neighbourhood before committing. Violence doesn't necessary become part of the process. Indeed more a rarity from personal experience. They operate within the law with things like Restraining Orders for anyone becoming to suspicious.

the troubadour Feb 28th 2021 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12978267)
Here we go again

I just don't see the need to mention CH when injecting rooms are in the country that you reside in. I'll return the compliment. Just where did I write that the ice crisis in Australia should be the deciding factor? It should be a consideration in pointing out Australia is far removed from drugs, with ice being seriously out of control and not an issue as yet in UK. No Australia does not have a free health system when things get beyond the usual not too difficult stuff. Even with private insurance can be substantially expensive. What's the point of data out of date besides attempting to score a personal point.? We brank down on many measurements from ages care to among the least affordable housing in the world. Well the pension is hardly living in what is paid in the Australian context. Without owing own home and having savings it will most likely point towards a struggling time in old age. You really need to compare with countries that do ensure that is not the case. Having a pension system based on the share market is something of a gamble as well. Incomes need to higher than Europe with such a system in place. Best not rely too much on internet figures 'champ'. Corruption is substantial here but no desire to go into that on a public forum.

Beoz Feb 28th 2021 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12978276)
As mentioned the drug ice. I don't expect 25 million Australians are aware of it necessarily. Although many have a relative or child either victim or indeed involved. It could be in your street without you necessarily being aware. Most in my area are professional people with a few students. I only became aware when a rogue element took up residence nearby and over time drama after drama ensued. What I am saying is drugs are very widespread in Australia and take a good look at the neighbourhood before committing. Violence doesn't necessary become part of the process. Indeed more a rarity from personal experience. They operate within the law with things like Restraining Orders for anyone becoming to suspicious.

So you have a drug house in your street, specifically meth, and it's drawn attention to itself, and that prompts you to claim its everywhere. FWIW I am sure there are meth users in my suburb, but I don't typically see meth users wandering the streets, maybe I am not sure what to look out for. Should I be on the look out for people with wild eyes and bad skin? If I find these people should I consider moving? Meth is a problem no doubt but I think you are over dramatising it's correlation with where one should live.

It's pretty simple, the lower socio-economic position the suburb is, the greater problem you will have with cheaper, higher impact drugs like ice.

the troubadour Feb 28th 2021 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12978430)
So you have a drug house in your street, specifically meth, and it's drawn attention to itself, and that prompts you to claim its everywhere. FWIW I am sure there are meth users in my suburb, but I don't typically see meth users wandering the streets, maybe I am not sure what to look out for. Should I be on the look out for people with wild eyes and bad skin? If I find these people should I consider moving? Meth is a problem no doubt but I think you are over dramatising it's correlation with where one should live.

It's pretty simple, the lower socio-economic position the suburb is, the greater problem you will have with cheaper, higher impact drugs like ice.

Actually far more than a single residence. Thing being most are Not meth users, at least to the best of my knowledge. No meth heads calling in person either. They are often professional people with a few tradies thrown in for good measure. If the house that completely lost the plot hadn't surfaced, there would be every chance that it would have gone un noticed under my radar. I can assure you I am not over dramatizing in the slightest. While the car chases and base ball bats and doors being kicked in is in the past and concerning only one house, the rest continues with nothing much to interfere with proceedings. At least the centre has been 'cleaned up' somewhat . I think the former Lib leader's comments assisted that. Perth is no longer meth capital in Australia either. Now that title belongs to Adelaide apparently. And no my suburb is not low socio economic. It is inner city, I guess well located for the sort of business involved, and as mentioned not users but often professional type people. You possess a' typical stereotype ' of users not those profiteering.

Beoz Mar 1st 2021 1:58 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12978434)
Actually far more than a single residence. Thing being most are Not meth users, at least to the best of my knowledge. No meth heads calling in person either. They are often professional people with a few tradies thrown in for good measure. If the house that completely lost the plot hadn't surfaced, there would be every chance that it would have gone un noticed under my radar. I can assure you I am not over dramatizing in the slightest. While the car chases and base ball bats and doors being kicked in is in the past and concerning only one house, the rest continues with nothing much to interfere with proceedings. At least the centre has been 'cleaned up' somewhat . I think the former Lib leader's comments assisted that. Perth is no longer meth capital in Australia either. Now that title belongs to Adelaide apparently. And no my suburb is not low socio economic. It is inner city, I guess well located for the sort of business involved, and as mentioned not users but often professional type people. You possess a' typical stereotype ' of users not those profiteering.

People are going to do things with their lives that don't resonate with the way you live yours. Joys of living in cities with neighbours. If the professional and tradies are functioning drug takers or over zealous alcohol drinkers, what concern is it of yours, if it doesn't intrude on your life? Back to the point where you are trying to convince someone they shouldn't move to Australia because of drugs, again Australia is a very vast place, some areas will have drug problems which intrude on your life where as others do not, just like the UK or any other western country.

Given you do tend to see what's happening in Perth and tarnish the rest of Australia with that brush, I do agree with your point on Perth. Walking through Perth of an evening can be not the nicest of experiences, with not the most wholesome of characters hanging around, in the vicinity of Hay St. I certainly didn't feel overly comfortable at times and that's not something I would experience in the Sydney CBD or Melbourne for that matter.

the troubadour Mar 1st 2021 7:16 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12978450)
People are going to do things with their lives that don't resonate with the way you live yours. Joys of living in cities with neighbours. If the professional and tradies are functioning drug takers or over zealous alcohol drinkers, what concern is it of yours, if it doesn't intrude on your life? Back to the point where you are trying to convince someone they shouldn't move to Australia because of drugs, again Australia is a very vast place, some areas will have drug problems which intrude on your life where as others do not, just like the UK or any other western country.

Given you do tend to see what's happening in Perth and tarnish the rest of Australia with that brush, I do agree with your point on Perth. Walking through Perth of an evening can be not the nicest of experiences, with not the most wholesome of characters hanging around, in the vicinity of Hay St. I certainly didn't feel overly comfortable at times and that's not something I would experience in the Sydney CBD or Melbourne for that matter.

So you are advocating the right of others to make and trade in drugs now? No wonder the country is a mess with those with the potential to make more than adequate incomes overcome by greed to make ever more. My point is clear signs of a non functioning society. I'm trying to convince someone of nothing of the sort. Just that Australia has more than its share of issues to contend with outside of the promotion pitch. Like I already mentioned, meth/ice is a somewhat special drug that is thankfully not on the ground yet in UK. A simple visit to hospital emergency wards may yet convince you of the severity of this drug instead of attempting to sell it off as just another drug.

But the issues are far wider than drugs. I doubt any thing I'd write would influence any decision anyway. Although negatives are not what most want to read, But yes, if in a comfortable position in UK or Europe worth seriously considering upheaval, if much to loose. If nothing of note then go for it.

Beoz Mar 2nd 2021 12:23 am

Re: Drugs and crime in Australia (Off Topic posts moved from family of five thre

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12978492)
So you are advocating the right of others to make and trade in drugs now? No wonder the country is a mess with those with the potential to make more than adequate incomes overcome by greed to make ever more. My point is clear signs of a non functioning society. I'm trying to convince someone of nothing of the sort. Just that Australia has more than its share of issues to contend with outside of the promotion pitch. Like I already mentioned, meth/ice is a somewhat special drug that is thankfully not on the ground yet in UK. A simple visit to hospital emergency wards may yet convince you of the severity of this drug instead of attempting to sell it off as just another drug.

But the issues are far wider than drugs. I doubt any thing I'd write would influence any decision anyway. Although negatives are not what most want to read, But yes, if in a comfortable position in UK or Europe worth seriously considering upheaval, if much to loose. If nothing of note then go for it.

Ho ho. Nice try on bringing your resentment agenda on greed into this.

There is no denying meth is not a nice drug, nor is alcohol, but you sell it as if everyone affected by it in Australia. This is complete nonsense and you should not make up such nonsense when trying to persuade those looking for balanced advice on moving to Australia.

The drug agenda has crept into your arsenal of arguments. Drug abuse is a problem in all countries and Australia is not immune, nor is the UK. If meth is reserved for the wealthier party community in the UK, so be it, there are plenty of other substances to get your fill and potential despair in the UK.

the troubadour Mar 2nd 2021 1:57 am

Re: Drugs and crime in Australia (Off Topic posts moved from family of five thre

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12978714)
Ho ho. Nice try on bringing your resentment agenda on greed into this.

There is no denying meth is not a nice drug, nor is alcohol, but you sell it as if everyone affected by it in Australia. This is complete nonsense and you should not make up such nonsense when trying to persuade those looking for balanced advice on moving to Australia.

The drug agenda has crept into your arsenal of arguments. Drug abuse is a problem in all countries and Australia is not immune, nor is the UK. If meth is reserved for the wealthier party community in the UK, so be it, there are plenty of other substances to get your fill and potential despair in the UK.

Poor attempt at attempting to cloud the hazards of the out of control illegal' drug industry' that has developed in Australia. If not greed when professional types 'engage in it , I'd really like to know what it is? Community service perhaps you would rate it? Meth not a nice drug? Well at least you concede something. Neither is gravel.(horrible substance that has similar impact) As for bringing the drug agenda into my arsenal of arguments, I and many others consider it a issue of rather great importance. Not the cutting deal of taking Australia out of contention as a place to migrate to, but a careful observation required of the area one may decide to rent or purchase as a consideration. Even then hard to get right, but will outline the worst of it.

Beoz Mar 2nd 2021 5:28 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12978726)
Poor attempt at attempting to cloud the hazards of the out of control illegal' drug industry' that has developed in Australia. If not greed when professional types 'engage in it , I'd really like to know what it is? Community service perhaps you would rate it? Meth not a nice drug? Well at least you concede something. Neither is gravel.(horrible substance that has similar impact) As for bringing the drug agenda into my arsenal of arguments, I and many others consider it a issue of rather great importance. Not the cutting deal of taking Australia out of contention as a place to migrate to, but a careful observation required of the area one may decide to rent or purchase as a consideration. Even then hard to get right, but will outline the worst of it.

You have deviated again and gone off target. Perth might have an out of control meth problem. Where I am, we do not. Perth is not Australia. Its a far out post. Feel free to peddle McGowans suggestion on checking for bananas, avocado and meth. The rest of us don't care what you do over there.

Where are we on your list of arguments now, house prices, lack of jobs, greed, and meth - What a miserable place you live in.

the troubadour Mar 2nd 2021 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12978742)
You have deviated again and gone off target. Perth might have an out of control meth problem. Where I am, we do not. Perth is not Australia. Its a far out post. Feel free to peddle McGowans suggestion on checking for bananas, avocado and meth. The rest of us don't care what you do over there.

Where are we on your list of arguments now, house prices, lack of jobs, greed, and meth - What a miserable place you live in.

No it is you off target. Perth does have a meth problem but not alone. NSW countryside has the same problems as rural places Australia wide. Wellington for example. But worth looking up what Michael Adams QC said when he was in a position. Interesting stuff but hardly revealing to those in the know. McGowan is an Australian politician so limited expectations should be in order as elsewhere. You live in a more miserable place obviously.