Drug-drivers

Old Dec 22nd 2004, 11:57 am
Account Closed

Deadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to beholdDeadmeat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Drug-drivers

Originally Posted by mutant
Ah! Reefer madness...A cult classic.

That takes me back a bit. Not that I condone driving while stoned
Indeed, driving should be done stone-cold sober ... classic film ... I've got this on a t-shirt ... I guess one day I'll have to grow-up
Attached Thumbnails Drug-drivers-2a.jpg  
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
after a
random roadside saliva came back with a false positive.
Random roadside testing in Australia?? I was considering leaving the U.S. in favor of Australia because we've lost our fourth amendment rights here. That's disappointing to hear. I thought Australia was better than the U.S. on civil liberties; however, in the U.S., I believe cops still need an excuse of some kind to do a drug search (but a poor excuse will do, like speeding).

Anyone know if New Zealanders are protected from unwarranted and unreasonable searches?
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 5:54 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
Dope addicts deserve all they get.

Untill we make it socially and financially unacceptable to take any form of recrecreational drugs we'er beating our heads against a brick wall.

Far as I'm concerned anyone should be liable for random drug tests anytime and if positve they should risk loosing they're job maybe if they are caught a second time.

Also this should apply to anyone claiming a benefit from the gov that will stop the unemployed spending their dole on drugs, or child support being used to buy drugs.

This should also appy to politicians who should not even get a second chance as they should be setting an example.

Drugs are a millstone around our society and we should do everything in our power to destroy it. The funny thing is a lot of drug takers don't think they are addicts and they are in control of the addiction. Well lets see how they like being unemployed with no benefits and basically no future.

Maybe then we could legalise it but make the consequences of taking it so dracionan that only an idiot would (mind you you'd have to be an idiot now to take drugs).

take it easy, I dont think you have any idea about how many people take some kind of drug.....especially in australia....its out of control and the system works alright
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 7:44 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be interesting to see how accurate the tests are because the police do not want to waste their time with drivers who won't produce much revenue.

Loads of RBTs and traffic police last night. Come Firday the road will be plastered with police ready for double demerits.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom
It will be interesting to see how accurate the tests are because the police do not want to waste their time with drivers who won't produce much revenue.
Drug tests for marijuana are not accurate in detecting impairment. The most expensive and precise test is gc/ms analysis on blood, and even that test will give a false positive for impairment as long as six weeks after consumption.

To address your point about revenue, inaccurate drug testing works to the benefit of state revenue here in the U.S. As long as the courts accept the drug test as evidence of impairment, they can throw the book at a sober driver and collect copious amounts of money from fines, while also generating revenue for insurance companies and rehab centers on top of that.

I'm not sure about Australia, but this system of incriminating sober drivers is a big commonplace business in the U.S. A positive drug test = revenue, period, regardless of whether it's a false or true positive.
Old Dec 22nd 2004, 10:30 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by bondipom

Loads of RBTs and traffic police last night. Come Firday the road will be plastered with police ready for double demerits.

Unaccurate - they got put on hold this morning, or so I heard on the news. I can't remember the number, but a lot of the drug tests done came back as negative when lab analysed.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cresta57
Do we include ciggarettes and alcohol among the list of recreational drugs then or stop short of those drugs that generate a healthy return for the govt. coffers?

Cigarettes (tobacco) don't impare your ability to function (they just fill your lungs with tar and cause cancer ) alcohol does but random breath tests limit that and having a alcohol conviction can cause you to loose your job, just need to extend it to drugs as well. Athletes already loose their carreer if caught taking drugs.

I can't see the logic in this, if a person holds down a job pays taxes and is no drain on the system but enjoys a smoke at night to relax why penalise them and the rest of us by making them unemployed? If they choose to smoke a joint instead of throwing copious amounts of beer down their
necks I don't see a problem.
So long as his drug taking dosn't affect his job the next day I have no problem with it. The problem is people who take drugs during the day to keep going containing god knows what from your drug dealer on the street corner.

I thought it was legal or de-criminalised to grow your own canabis plants in some states here. Large numbers of canabis users both here and in U.K are using the drug as a form of pain relief, the U.K govt. was even piloting research into it's use for treating M.S sufferers.
Perscription drugs that go through years of testing are sometimes found to have fatal side effects. So what do you think the chances of getting side effects from home brew is?

Would you want your kid to be taught by a teacher high on Canabis, treated by a doctor, ride on a bus with a driver out of his head on drugs.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by elksa
Sounds like your the dracionan one. What do you think is going to happen if you sack everyone that takes small quantities of fairly harmless drugs, such as, cannabis? I'd suggest that most will end up firstly getting more and more depressed and probably taking more and more drugs to help them with this, they'll turn to crime to pay for their habit and then they'll end up being a bigger burdon on the health service and society in general.

Nothing against drug testing driver it's a bloody good idea, but stupid opinions like yours aren't the way forward in getting a handle on the problem.
Small quantties aren't a problem, at home but NOT at work or driving but once you start taking small quantities the quantities have to increase to get the same effect (just like smoking) and then you start taking stronger drugs. It's a downward spiral that most drug takers don't even realise they are on untill they try and stop (just like smokers).
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hevs
OK, does anyone else see anything wrong with this.

PS I heard something strange today.....

For those of you noticing a pair of tied up runners, usually white, thrown over lamp posts or pylons............. it means "the drugs have landed" :scared:
Really? I have seen a bicycle on a lamp post (truly), what do you suppose that means?
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 12:53 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgombos
Drug tests for marijuana are not accurate in detecting impairment.
Very true. No drug (or alcohol) tests are available for measuring impairment. That is why in the US the policeman will ask you to stand on one leg and touch your nose etc. to judge how imapired you are.

The most expensive and precise test is gc/ms analysis on blood, and even that test will give a false positive for impairment as long as six weeks after consumption.
Close! GS/MS is the most expensive test and can be done on any body fluid and even hair etc. It will not give a false positive result but it may be interprested incorrectly, such as they may identify a compund which could be part of an illegal drug or part of a legitimate medicine. GC/MS does not test for impairment. Nothing does. It simply looks for the drug metabolite in the sample. Most drugs are removed from the body 24 - 72 hours after taking and undetectable in body fluids. Except for Cannabis which can remain for up to 4 weeks or so. A hair test will be positive for as long as your hair has not been cut (ANY HAIR)

Illicit drugs do impair people. Pilots, public transport and hazardous tramsport drivers are routinely tested in the UK.
There are cut-off levels and only if the reading is above those levels is action taken.
Your pilot, for instance, is allowed zero alcohol on his breath. So, he has to watch what he drinks the night before a flight.
Extensive studies have been perfomed on pilots, esp. volunteers from tha USAF to measure impairment from Cannabis.
Using various quantities of Cannabis, the pilots were subjected to a flight simulator at various stages after a session. Of course a few hours after they were still stoned and crashed.
Some of the guys 24 hours later who beleived they were totally out of the influence still managed to crash the plane and it was not until 72 hours had gone by were they back up to their normal high standard.

Drink/drugs are great but they do impair (at different levels) even when you think you are OK.
You know after a hard night you are not 100% in the morning. Why should your employer pay you 100%?

Andrew
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 1:29 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Drug tests for marijuana are not accurate in detecting impairment. The most expensive and precise test is gc/ms analysis on blood, and even that test will give a false positive for impairment as long as six weeks after consumption.

To address your point about revenue, inaccurate drug testing works to the benefit of state revenue here in the U.S. As long as the courts accept the drug test as evidence of impairment, they can throw the book at a sober driver and collect copious amounts of money from fines, while also generating revenue for insurance companies and rehab centers on top of that.

I'm not sure about Australia, but this system of incriminating sober drivers is a big commonplace business in the U.S. A positive drug test = revenue, period, regardless of whether it's a false or true positive.
I think the police would like it that way but the lawyers are already circling over these cases.
Old Dec 23rd 2004, 2:25 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
I saw another pair yesturday and thought how peed off i'd be if my kids kept arriving home without their runners, now it brings forth a whole new meaning
I've seen it a few times in Perth too. Surely it can't meen the drugs have arrived because once the shoes are up there they stay there. What sort of message is that to potential drug customers? it's misleading.

I bet that false positive bloke is pissed off that he blurted out that it had been 4 weeks since he last got stoned. Best to keep your gob shut in that sort of situation.
Old Dec 25th 2004, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

I thought Australia was better than the U.S. on civil liberties; however, in the U.S., I believe cops still need an excuse of some kind to do a drug search (but a poor excuse will do, like speeding).
I have to correct myself here.. I've discovered that in some parts of the U.S. people are getting drug searched entirely at random. They don't even need a poor excuse anymore.