Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Setting up your own business

Setting up your own business

Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:38 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Setting up your own business

I thought I would start a thread for ideas on setting up a business/those that have done so successfully.

Mr PP said he often thinks about being self employed but I think we are a bit nervous as we dont have enough cash to float us while things take off. I do however, find it quite inspirational when I read about people that have set up their own business and made a success of it.

Someone once told me that if you are good at something and enjoy it then there is a way of making money out of it - which I suppose is true. I have been asked to do a simple video for a bird rescue centre - I will do it for nothing as it is good practise but it makes me wonder if I had the right equipment, could there be something in it for me - perhaps not enough to do it as a profession but as a sideline at least?

Mr PP would love to own a little cafe - something he would really like to do, but it doesnt have to stop there, menu planning, private functions etc, there is alot of scope to develop and do well but I think its knowing where/how to start really. Me, well if I had the opportunity I would do writing and creative stuff for a living, I would love to have a sort of 'mentor' to guide me.

Have you ever ditched your 'old job' and set up by yourself and done well? Was it the total opposite of where you had been working?

Last edited by Cheetah7; Jun 13th 2010 at 8:40 am.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:35 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up your own business

Yes. Twice in fact. Once in the UK where my wife and I built businesses from scratch and migrated to Australia on the proceeds of subsequent sale. Again when I re-skilled here in about as a wildly different a field as I could imagine. It got to the point where I turned away clients and have now retreated into the safety of full time study for a while.

Perhaps the worst part is having the gumption enough to just make the jump into a dream leaving behind the security of what you know. But I firmly believe that if you are hard working, have an excellent realistic vision of what you want to achieve and your business idea is viable you will succeed.

Above all, never, ever, buy someone else's business. If you have a good idea you don't need anyone else to make it work. I really never understand the Australian fascination with franchises. Frankly, as far I can see, a European work ethic and desire to see beyond "she'll be right" means your off to a flying start over other businesses start ups here !
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:56 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes. Twice in fact. Once in the UK where my wife and I built businesses from scratch and migrated to Australia on the proceeds of subsequent sale. Again when I re-skilled here in about as a wildly different a field as I could imagine. It got to the point where I turned away clients and have now retreated into the safety of full time study for a while.

Perhaps the worst part is having the gumption enough to just make the jump into a dream leaving behind the security of what you know. But I firmly believe that if you are hard working, have an excellent realistic vision of what you want to achieve and your business idea is viable you will succeed.

Above all, never, ever, buy someone else's business. If you have a good idea you don't need anyone else to make it work. I really never understand the Australian fascination with franchises. Frankly, as far I can see, a European work ethic and desire to see beyond "she'll be right" means your off to a flying start over other businesses start ups here !
I have lots of ideas, just no idea of how to 'plant them'
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Setting up your own business

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have lots of ideas, just no idea of how to 'plant them'
Hi there PP where are you? Because i heard a while back that there is some sort of Mentoring available in NZ for people new to business. prob already have to have a business started though)
Cheers
Cally
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:07 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this helps but...through my volunteer work and being on the committe of the local Pastoral and Agricultural Society (my wife was secretary) it became apparant that there was a gap in the market between what people could reasonably print at home and what was on offer from an established printer. The gap was, small scale runs, being available locally and keeping the price down. I now have work for most of the local societies and a few small, private jobs. Nothing brilliant but it adds to our income.

My point really is, what is missing that should be on offer locally. If you can identify that you should be okay.

Of course, the age old problem is having a bit of capital as start up.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Not sure if this helps but...through my volunteer work and being on the committe of the local Pastoral and Agricultural Society (my wife was secretary) it became apparant that there was a gap in the market between what people could reasonably print at home and what was on offer from an established printer. The gap was, small scale runs, being available locally and keeping the price down. I now have work for most of the local societies and a few small, private jobs. Nothing brilliant but it adds to our income.

My point really is, what is missing that should be on offer locally. If you can identify that you should be okay.

Lol becoming a digital printer is a good way of starting a business, the equipment takes a fair bit of capital, and when there's problems with the machines it can be a real nightmare getting work printed for the deadlines.

You could always try to outsource to low cost printers and add your cut - there's a few in the UK, but it's how it would compare competitively once you've added postage to oz!

Anyhow - i'd recommend setting up your own business to anyone. As long as you have perseverance, willingness to change and listen, and become passionate about what you do and the benefits you are providing in other peoples lives!

There's loads of jobs in the UK that people set up online from home. A lot of them are business to business and include virtual receptionists, admin, data imput etc,

The best way to start a business though, is either stick to what you're an expert in, or everytime a friend complains about something write it down and think "how can I solve that..."

For instance;

1. "I hate the queues at that shop"
2. "I got my haircut and it took forever"
3. "I would love someone to sort that out for me"
4. "I would love to have one of those in our town"....

All those complaints can easily be turned around into solutions;

1. They must be doing well to have queues, and people can't be bothered waiting why don't I start something similar but make it faster or more efficient!
2. Why don't I find some good hairdressers that are quick and offer funky modern styles, then set up my own mobile hairdresser service paying them set fees per haircut etc, and eventually own my own salon!
3. I can't sort it out - but I can find someone who can! If I charge $200 and pay them $100 then I'm onto a winner!
4. I wonder how many other people want one of those in our town... ask around and if there's a good level of interest, set one up or ask about starting a franchise.

The truth is, there's opportunities everywhere, you just need to have the strength and courage to give it a go. There's always going to be ups and downs, and when you're the only person you know running a business it can be very isolated, but it's worth it in the end!

Good luck!
Jen
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by cally49
Hi there PP where are you? Because i heard a while back that there is some sort of Mentoring available in NZ for people new to business. prob already have to have a business started though)
Cheers
Cally
Im in Perth, I really would like to meet like minded creative people. As for Mr PP, I think it is purely down to money to achieve his dream of owning a cafe.

I can do creative stuff while working in my full time job, but its knowing the ins/outs and how to do things that would help.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by alistairboyle

That is a very good point and certainly something to consider.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi PP,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in from across the ditch!

I started my first business aged 24 in London. My daughter was turning 2 and since I'd had her I'd been working in a local children's nursery so that I could still be with her, but also earn an income. I negotiated a property that I could turn the ground floor into a nursery and thus my 1st business was born ...

I semi-retired and had it run under management after 4 years.

I sold it as a going concern after 9 years.

My husband then bought a pub with a mate.

After getting stitched up by said mate we vowed never to go into business with a so-called friend again, even though we came out of it quids in ...

After having moved from UK to NZ and been here 2+ years I started another business from scratch. 9 months in I am about to go into a high profile office location as it has got too big to run on my own from home.

It takes a certain kind of person/personality to run your own business. I love it as I'm quite a control freak. BUT, it will devour your time, finances and soul ... if you reap rewards be they financial or personal all good, for me it works. But, I've seen other people be consumed and fall ... not pretty.

If you decide to do it, join your local Chamber of Commerce and see if there's some kind of Business Funding Enterprise Scheme. My business here is probably 90% referrals ...

Good luck.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi PP,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in from across the ditch!

I started my first business aged 24 in London. My daughter was turning 2 and since I'd had her I'd been working in a local children's nursery so that I could still be with her, but also earn an income. I negotiated a property that I could turn the ground floor into a nursery and thus my 1st business was born ...

I semi-retired and had it run under management after 4 years.

I sold it as a going concern after 9 years.

My husband then bought a pub with a mate.

After getting stitched up by said mate we vowed never to go into business with a so-called friend again, even though we came out of it quids in ...

After having moved from UK to NZ and been here 2+ years I started another business from scratch. 9 months in I am about to go into a high profile office location as it has got too big to run on my own from home.

It takes a certain kind of person/personality to run your own business. I love it as I'm quite a control freak. BUT, it will devour your time, finances and soul ... if you reap rewards be they financial or personal all good, for me it works. But, I've seen other people be consumed and fall ... not pretty.

If you decide to do it, join your local Chamber of Commerce and see if there's some kind of Business Funding Enterprise Scheme. My business here is probably 90% referrals ...

Good luck.
That is bloody awesome - everything you have done.

I think my creative streak is in many ways my own ball and chain, its really hard knowing what to do and where to begin.

Although I love movie making, film editing and would love to do a film making course at TAFE, but its full time and would mean re-mortgaging the house which is something we are not prepared to do.

I can do my own stuff though I guess and take it from there.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:11 pm
ABCDiamond

I thought I would start a thread for ideas on setting up a business/those that have done so successfully.

Mr PP said he often thinks about being self employed but I think we are a bit nervous as we dont have enough cash to float us while things take off. I do however, find it quite inspirational when I read about people that have set up their own business and made a success of it.

Someone once told me that if you are good at something and enjoy it then there is a way of making money out of it - which I suppose is true. I have been asked to do a simple video for a bird rescue centre - I will do it for nothing as it is good practise but it makes me wonder if I had the right equipment, could there be something in it for me - perhaps not enough to do it as a profession but as a sideline at least?

Mr PP would love to own a little cafe - something he would really like to do, but it doesnt have to stop there, menu planning, private functions etc, there is alot of scope to develop and do well but I think its knowing where/how to start really. Me, well if I had the opportunity I would do writing and creative stuff for a living, I would love to have a sort of 'mentor' to guide me.

Have you ever ditched your 'old job' and set up by yourself and done well? Was it the total opposite of where you had been working?
Yes

Each of my businesses has been started from something that I just fancied doing at the time, and there have been a few

I just realised, if I had your skills with words I reckon I could make a fortune

You may have seen my signature elsewhere "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life". It really does hold true.

Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:15 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

That is bloody awesome - everything you have done.

I think my creative streak is in many ways my own ball and chain, its really hard knowing what to do and where to begin.

Although I love movie making, film editing and would love to do a film making course at TAFE, but its full time and would mean re-mortgaging the house which is something we are not prepared to do.

I can do my own stuff though I guess and take it from there.
I guess the "problem" with a creative streak is how do you turn it in to a money spinner?

It's not my number one choice to do the business that I do, but I don't know how else to generate an income.

My dream is to grow the hairs on my legs and make marmalade, whilst living in a beach front shack writing best selling novels with my faithful Doberman at my heels. (Well, it'd have to be a new Doberman for a start as my got put down on Friday.) But with 4 kids and recently separated, the only bread winner etc, etc ... I will hold on to that dream until the kids are older and I'm in a better financial situation.

By which time the hairs on my legs may be so long I can knit blankets for disadvantaged children in Third World countries AND sell them my books ...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yes

Each of my businesses has been started from something that I just fancied doing at the time, and there have been a few

I just realised, if I had your skills with words I reckon I could make a fortune

You may have seen my signature elsewhere "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life". It really does hold true.
Well I am quite excited, a simple video I did for a rescue place, they really liked it and they have asked me to do another one.

I enjoy writing, video editing, photography - captioning photos. It would be brilliant to do my own advertising campaign.

Its been a bit of a struggle this past 12 months, Mr PP is getting stronger but Ive still got this bloody PTSD which I am getting therapy for and when I have an 'episode', I have no creativity

Now I have the spare bedroom as my little 'office', I just need the movie making software and I can get started, god knows which direction it goes in but if I can make a start it will be something.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Janna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of lightJanna and Nick is a glorious beacon of light

I am the same PP. I am creative and into many things and hate the 9 - 5 boring corporate world that I am in at the moment. I am constantly trying to find other ways of generating income as a self employed person but on the one hand I am so scared of taking that leap and failing. You get so used to having the financial stability of the corporate world. On the other hand, I have no clear direction of where I should be heading.

Its great that you have an opportunity to pursue something you enjoy and I wish you every sucess. If it's something you enjoy doing, I am sure you'll make a success of it! Of course keep us posted!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

After selling our sign/digital print business in the UK we moved over here but I wanted to go with a job that returned some creative job satisfaction so we started a business called Breeze Photos, we produce canvas pictures ... it's really rewarding and if you have a passion for something, I recommend anybody starting a new life over here to give it a go ..... we have just sold our 6th franchise and are loving every minute of it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.