Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Drs, children, and bulk billing

Drs, children, and bulk billing

Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:45 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question Drs, children, and bulk billing

After being to a Doctor in the area when I first moved to Sydney, I got the impression that most Drs will bulk bill for appointments seeing children.

Maybe I have the idea of the NHS, where treatment (theoretically) is free to the most vunerable in society eg children.

However I have rang around several places near me and they don't. Is this normal that bulk billing, even for children is rare?

Are there any websites that show those Drs that bulk bill?

And while we are on the subject, when looking in the pink pages under 'Medical practitioner' not all the names had Dr by them. So are the others not qualified, or practice some alternative medical approach? Obviously want to see suitable qualified people of an equivalent to a GP in UK.

thanks
walaj
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:55 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Drs, children, and bulk billing

Originally Posted by walaj
And while we are on the subject, when looking in the pink pages under 'Medical practitioner' not all the names had Dr by them. So are the others not qualified, or practice some alternative medical approach? Obviously want to see suitable qualified people of an equivalent to a GP in UK.
Maybe they are consultants, when doctors become consultants they drop the Dr. and become Mr. (I'm not sure what the women do)
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

After being to a Doctor in the area when I first moved to Sydney, I got the impression that most Drs will bulk bill for appointments seeing children.

Maybe I have the idea of the NHS, where treatment (theoretically) is free to the most vunerable in society eg children.

However I have rang around several places near me and they don't. Is this normal that bulk billing, even for children is rare?

thanks
walaj
Not seen a website that shows who do bulk bill and who don't. I just rang round. None of the surgeries around me bulk bill for normal adults but most do for children or concession holders. There does seem to be a much larger number of other practitioners than in the UK. Time sat with the phone is the way to go
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:57 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
None of the surgeries around me bulk bill for normal adults ...
what about abnormal adults?
Old Jun 27th 2006, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

thanks
walaj
Docs dont have to bulk bill kids, any medical person can charge whatever they want for any appointment/procedure etc. Most carry a huge load of bulkbilling tho due to the sizable proportion of the population with a health care card (low income, disadvantaged/ unemployed etc).

Asking locals if there is a doc who bulkbills kids is the best way, many for eg up here do and most people find out pretty quick.

If a person is advertising as such they should certainly be qualified just ring up and ask the surgery what and where they qualified as.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 7:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
You tell me
Old Jun 27th 2006, 8:35 am
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

try http://www.doctors-4u.com/sydney/sbulkbil.htm, which lists *some* bulk billing doctors in Sydney.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:44 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they are consultants, when doctors become consultants they drop the Dr. and become Mr. (I'm not sure what the women do)
They become nurses
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:44 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

We go for private