Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving while visiting Oz question(s).

Driving while visiting Oz question(s).

Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Northumbrian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving while visiting Oz question(s).

I am planning to visit some family in NSW under the 1 year working holiday visa. I know that I can drive for this time using my UK driving licence, as I would still be classed as a visitor, but I have been made aware of the fact that I will be asked for ID alot more in Australia.

Now, my licence is the old paper style one, so no good as ID in most circumstances. I dont want to have to carry my passport everywhere with me, and I dont want to swap my paper UK one, for a photo UK one (for several reasons, one been that the paper does'nt need to be renewed every few years).

Can I use my UK license to be issued with a NSW photo type one? The RTA says that permanent residents can/should, and that visitors dont HAVE to. But what I want to know is, CAN I, if I want to?

Sorry if its a bit longwinded, but I wanted my situation to be clear
Old Apr 19th 2005, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving while visiting Oz question(s).

Firstly - WELCOME! Your 1st post eh?

You will find this site invaluable for information - someone will help if the can.

We arrived on a Temp. Visa 5 months ago which is obviously different than a 1 year working holiday visa.

Because we have had to open accounts, get medical and dental cover, college course, open a Blockbuster account etc etc, we have had to produce our passports every time! Driving licence photo ID has never been enough. Even for the simple task of opening a DVD hire account with Blockbuster, we had to produce passports, photo ID driving licence, plus proof of current address, ie utility bills etc.

So, it depends on what you plan to do in the year you are in Australia. If its literally just going to be a 'working holiday' I should imagine your passport would be enough. If you need the ID for 'proof of age' reasons, ie entering nightclubs etc (they are very strict over here, well in Cairns they are) then a Photo Driving Licence is the ideal option.

Hope this helps a little - our situation is different from yours, so might not.

if it goes off the 1st page - BUMP it up!

Cheers
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:21 pm
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Hi - you can get a proof of age photo ID card from the RTA, no need for a driving licence, you wouldn't be able to get one without proof of residence anyway.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Northumbrian
I am planning to visit some family in NSW under the 1 year working holiday visa. I know that I can drive for this time using my UK driving licence, as I would still be classed as a visitor, but I have been made aware of the fact that I will be asked for ID alot more in Australia.

Now, my licence is the old paper style one, so no good as ID in most circumstances. I dont want to have to carry my passport everywhere with me, and I dont want to swap my paper UK one, for a photo UK one (for several reasons, one been that the paper does'nt need to be renewed every few years).

Can I use my UK license to be issued with a NSW photo type one? The RTA says that permanent residents can/should, and that visitors dont HAVE to. But what I want to know is, CAN I, if I want to?

Sorry if its a bit longwinded, but I wanted my situation to be clear
Welcome mate. Do what I have done quite a lot whilst travelling. Get a couple of colour photocopies of your important doco and laminate them. Then just carry them around and show them when asked. You can back that up with your paper license.