Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

First cyclone of the year for Queensland??

First cyclone of the year for Queensland??

Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default First cyclone of the year for Queensland??

http://www.bom.gov.au/weather/cyclone/

Could be the first one of the season for Queensland - not likely to affect many posters on here, although depending on its track Cairns could get a bit damp.
Having said that, cyclones are never predictable.......

For those who like this kind of stuff, the cyclone naming lists have been reshuffled again in the last couple of weeks, and if this does grow into a Cat 1 it'll be named Charlotte.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml
Attached Thumbnails First cyclone of the year for Queensland??-1715-090109.gif  
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:34 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First cyclone of the year for Queensland??

wait and see I suppose... is it Feb that all the Cyclones usually arrive?

Em x
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:44 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
wait and see I suppose... is it Feb that all the Cyclones usually arrive?

Em x
November to April in the Southern Hemisphere. Feb would be a good bet though, probably the fortnight when we're away camping
Old Jan 9th 2009, 10:08 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
November to April in the Southern Hemisphere. Feb would be a good bet though, probably the fortnight when we're away camping
And I'll be in the UK so I'll miss out on the overtime
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:00 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And I'll be in the UK so I'll miss out on the overtime
Can you smuggle me back in your suitcase. I could do with a rest from the outlaws
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:26 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cresta57
Can you smuggle me back in your suitcase. I could do with a rest from the outlaws
Well I'm taking empty bags, so I can fill them while I'm there, might be able to get you in one!!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:54 am
Home and Happy

Little update for anyone interested - Tropical Cyclone Charlotte, now a Cat 1, may go to a Cat 2 tomorrow. Prediction I got from the Bureau of Met this morning was that it may cross the southern end of the Cape, and emerge into the Coral Sea between Cairns and Townsville, bringing a lot of rain with it. In addition to the rain that has already fallen up there in the last few days, you guys up north could be in for a very wet week............
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Tis a bit wet hear Polly.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:23 am
Just Joined

Dairymilk04 will become famous soon enough

and windy, biggest waves i've seen in 10 months!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:29 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dairymilk04
and windy, biggest waves i've seen in 10 months!
Been raining since Friday here, with the exceptin of about four or five hours.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

rocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to beholdrocket01 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bix
You need to change your pants then :P
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:54 am
Sparky Stu

stu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of lightstu:0 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes you could say Cairns is a total wash out! Im stranded in my appartment as the gates are under 3 ft of water but so is the building site im meant to be at so no work anyway!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:18 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bix
I was watching the rainfall figures go up in the early hours of the morning and it looke scary up there. Last figures I had before I came off shift this morning, from our guys in the Port Douglas area was that the rain gauge had overflowed - and it holds 200mm.
Hope all you guys are above the water line.....

The heavy rain is expected to move south later in the week - Townsville is already getting river rises, may start to affect Mackay/Rockhampton nin a couple of days.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 12th 2009 at 5:23 am. Reason: adding forecast
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:11 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We've had a few hours of ordinary rain but now it's chucking it down again and could go all night I believe they said.

May not be able to get into work at all tomorrow.

This guy wished he hadn't bothered today.
Couple of blocks from my office.
Attached Thumbnails First cyclone of the year for Queensland??-brown-st2.jpg  
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Bix
We've had a few hours of ordinary rain but now it's chucking it down again and could go all night I believe they said.

May not be able to get into work at all tomorrow.

This guy wished he hadn't bothered today.
Couple of blocks from my office.
Nothing worse than soggy pasties eh?
If you need some wellies we could all have a whip around

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.