British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Driving Theory test (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/driving-theory-test-289753/)

legoman Mar 13th 2005 11:32 am

Driving Theory test

Just had this email through thought you forum surfers may be interested

all the best Legoman

Thank you for your email.

You are right! Since January this year we do accept the transfer of your (UK)
driver's license (car and motorcycle class only) without the theory test.
You will only have to pass an eyesight test, and a photo will be taken to be put
on your license.

Also please bring in: your Primary proof of ID (passport), secondary proof of ID
(Bankcard) and Proof of Residency (phonebill or landlorddetails). For addresses
where our licensing centres are in WA, please visit our website.
The transfer fee is $40.90 and it is $33.10 for one year's license.

See you then!
Have a good day.
Marianne
Contact Centre Consultant
Licensing Division
Dept. for Planning and Infrastructure

sassie Mar 13th 2005 11:57 am

Re: Driving Theory test

Originally Posted by legoman
Just had this email through thought you forum surfers may be interested

all the best Legoman

Thank you for your email.

You are right! Since January this year we do accept the transfer of your (UK)
driver's license (car and motorcycle class only) without the theory test.
You will only have to pass an eyesight test, and a photo will be taken to be put
on your license.

Also please bring in: your Primary proof of ID (passport), secondary proof of ID
(Bankcard) and Proof of Residency (phonebill or landlorddetails). For addresses
where our licensing centres are in WA, please visit our website.
The transfer fee is $40.90 and it is $33.10 for one year's license.

See you then!
Have a good day.
Marianne
Contact Centre Consultant
Licensing Division
Dept. for Planning and Infrastructure

Hi Legoman. Thanks for the info. As you seem to be heading to Brisbane, I assume this e-mail applies to Qld.

Bix Mar 13th 2005 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by sassie
Hi Legoman. Thanks for the info. As you seem to be heading to Brisbane, I assume this e-mail applies to Qld.

No it doesn't.
There were only 2 or 3 states that introduced in on 1 Jan 2005.
NSW, WA and Victoria ?

aussieant Mar 13th 2005 12:26 pm

Thanks Legoman,

that sure has answered my earlier post outright.
Thanks for taking the time to clear that one up....

Aussieant

sassie Mar 13th 2005 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
No it doesn't.
NSW, WA and Victoria ?

Thanks for that. Thats what I thought.

NedKelly Mar 13th 2005 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by sassie

All the info is here:-

http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/L...estion1#change

68MEVY Mar 13th 2005 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Bix
No it doesn't.
NSW, WA and Victoria ?

Hi, does this mean that we could go to one of the above states and do the eyesight test even though we will be living in QLD, so we get away with not having to do the theory test.
Marie

mlbonner Mar 13th 2005 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Hi, does this mean that we could go to one of the above states and do the eyesight test even though we will be living in QLD, so we get away with not having to do the theory test.
Marie

No, it goes off your residential address (unfortunately!!)

68MEVY Mar 13th 2005 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by mlbonner
No, it goes off your residential address (unfortunately!!)

Gutted! Hopefully they'll change it in QLD aswell before we get there. I don't mind doing a theory test, it's only just over 2 years since I did it over here, but my husband never took a theory test as they didn't exist when he took hie test.
Marie

mlbonner Mar 13th 2005 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Gutted! Hopefully they'll change it in QLD aswell before we get there. I don't mind doing a theory test, it's only just over 2 years since I did it over here, but my husband never took a theory test as they didn't exist when he took hie test.
Marie

I emailed them at the beginning of the year, and they said there were no plans for it (not sure they would tell me though, as they could lose some money if people held off knowing it was about to change - me, a cynic, never! :))

There's no online practice for QLD, but all the information you need is on their website Theory Info QLD

I have until next Easter I think to change, so fingers crossed they follow WA's lead by then :D

Flying Banana Mar 13th 2005 9:52 pm

Victoria will just swap it over now too, I got mine in January. I started studying for the written test when I arrived in Nov/Dec, not sure about QLD but in VIC it was a multi choice test and if you did fail it, it was explained to me you could return the next day and retake the questions you got wrong.

mlbonner Mar 13th 2005 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Victoria will just swap it over now too, I got mine in January. I started studying for the written test when I arrived in Nov/Dec, not sure about QLD but in VIC it was a multi choice test and if you did fail it, it was explained to me you could return the next day and retake the questions you got wrong.

Same in QLD - you can go everyday till you pass!

68MEVY Mar 14th 2005 6:50 am

Cheers mlbonner for the website, it looks pretty similar to the UK test, looks like my hubby will have to polish up on his theory stuff.
Marie

noosawannabees Mar 14th 2005 12:29 pm

Hi,
I took my theory test in Qld last week and passed it second go .You can return the next day and you have to do another lot of 30 questions it may or may not be the same test you took the day before.I would advise that you really brush up on the 'give way rules '( first 10 questions)you can practice the ques on www.free2go.com.au.I hope that is right. Good luck .
Nicola

natty Mar 14th 2005 12:35 pm

aaaahhhh man this is sooooo unfair. In tasmania not only do you have to do the theory test but also a practical test- can you believe it !!!! :mad:

I only passed my test a couple of years ago and it was terrifying !!! The thought of having to do it again makes me feel sick !!!

Perhaps Tasmania will change their procedure by the time I get there. I can dream can't I !!!

Nat :)