Reload this Page >

driving test & tax

driving test & tax

Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:40 pm
Mmmm what to do!!

katherineiv is an unknown quantity at this point
Question driving test & tax

Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if you have to take a driving test again once you go to live out there?
Also what about car tax ? do they have that like us?
If someone can let me know.

thanks katherine
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Yes Katherine, each state is differant but normally have to sit it within 3 months of moving here. Its a pretty easy test though so don't worry. We have Car Registration here. In Melbourne I pay $500 a year for it.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: driving test & tax

Originally posted by katherineiv
Hi there,
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if you have to take a driving test again once you go to live out there?

thanks katherine
Hi K
Yes on both accounts
Car tax is called 'rego' (car registration) and must be paid annually

By law you should apply for your Oz licence within 3 months of taking up residency. I think for most states it is just a written test and not a driving test as well (it's certainly only written for Vic - multiple choice, about 30 Qs). You should also take evidence of UK no claims discount with you as this can be transferred to Oz. My car insurance premium dropped as soon as I gave my Oz licence details so it pays to get the licence asap once you get there.

Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

thanks katherine
I think most states have a practice test you can download to get a feel for the real thing. You need to get a copy of the road rules book (free from shire offices and police stations).

All pretty much the same really except for convuluted parking restrictions.
Old Mar 22nd 2004, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Hi there,

thanks katherine
Here is a web link for the online theory test in NSW in NSW

This one is for S.A.

My "Rego" in QLD is $226, but you also need to pay a compulsory third party (CTP) insurance, and that, for me, is $357

CTP covers only personal injury claims for anyone you might hit.

You need other Car Insurance as usual. I pay $400 comprehensive in QLD, but it was $700 in NSW