Wikiposts

Driving Test?

Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

AmandaJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Driving Test?

Originally Posted by bridiej
If you're going to WA then there's no test to take, you just take your UK licence in, pay a fee and get your Oz one.
It's the same in Victoria, we just had to take in our UK licence, pay the fee and were issued with the Oz one there and then.
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:43 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scrawni
Also you can take your test in an automatic which is easier. Alot of people drive automatics over there.
But if you do that you will only be licensed to drive an automatic - probably better to make the extra effort and get a full license.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Apr 21st 2005, 11:48 pm
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I wish I knew what roads you drive on!

Whenever I drive down to Gold Coast from Brisbane, I get out and kiss the ground when we arrive. Cars overtake us (both sides) even though we are doing the speed limit, not just gently overtake, but fly right up to our bumper and then wild lane change,scream pass and then cut back in in front with a metre or two to spare. Cars swerve across 4 lanes 100 metres before an exit. Tailgaters, the list goes on. I thought only my car had indicators fitted.

I'm a nervous wreck after a 65 K drive to Harbour Town.

Cheers,
JTL
I know what you mean. It is perfectly legal to overtake on the left under certain conditions (including multi lane roads) but it has taken me 4 yers to get used to it happening to me and I still find it really hard to bring myself to do it. MrsD and I have some interesting "discussions" when I want to pull out to middle then right hand lane to overtake the guy in the middle, then pull back to inside lane.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:00 am
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I wish I knew what roads you drive on!

Whenever I drive down to Gold Coast from Brisbane, I get out and kiss the ground when we arrive. Cars overtake us (both sides) even though we are doing the speed limit, not just gently overtake, but fly right up to our bumper and then wild lane change,scream pass and then cut back in in front with a metre or two to spare. Cars swerve across 4 lanes 100 metres before an exit. Tailgaters, the list goes on. I thought only my car had indicators fitted.

I'm a nervous wreck after a 65 K drive to Harbour Town.

Cheers,
JTL
Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn and end up in the middle of the Indy GP? The standard of driving here in Aus is far better than in the UK. I've done the 400k's from Bundy to Bris many times and have yet to experience anything even remotely worrying. I haven't enjoyed driving this much for years - although I suppose once you've tackled the M25 and London North Circular on a Monday morning anything else seems like walk in the park.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll avoid driving from Bris to the GC ... now where's my train timetable?

DC
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 12:32 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
MrsD and I have some interesting "discussions" when I want to pull out to middle then right hand lane to overtake the guy in the middle, then pull back to inside lane.
Better an "interesting discussion" than a multiple car pile up caused by some idiot cutting from the left hand lane across 3 lanes of traffic & back again to pass someone in the middle lane .
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DagBoy
I know what you mean. It is perfectly legal to overtake on the left under certain conditions (including multi lane roads) but it has taken me 4 yers to get used to it happening to me and I still find it really hard to bring myself to do it. MrsD and I have some interesting "discussions" when I want to pull out to middle then right hand lane to overtake the guy in the middle, then pull back to inside lane.

Cheers,

DagBoy
Oh, and roundabouts....

Never assume that the person in front, or to your left understands roundabouts. I've had people in the outide lane of a two lane roundabout, go right round it, so the car on the inside (me) has no option but to go right around it too. And cars stopping half way around to check if thats their exit And of course cars coming onto the roundabout and almost side swiping me as I'm already on it, and Mrs JTL waving apologtically to them, like its my fault.

We had a heated discussion about that as well.

Oh and I believe they've changed the rules now so its NOT ok to 'undertake' as I'd call it (overtake on the left). Except in certain circumstances, like if the car is turning right. But it will take years to filter into the driving habits of people here.

Cheers,
JTL