Driving Test?

Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:38 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Question Driving Test?

Here or wait 'till I get to Perth?

Are there any differences to the uk?

thanks Ransi
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:58 pm
NEO LIVES

CORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of lightCORKER is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: Driving Test?

Originally Posted by Ransi
Here or wait 'till I get to Perth?

Are there any differences to the uk?

thanks Ransi
Don't think it really matters...they must be pretty similar if they let you drive in Aus. with a UK licence....
CORKER
Old Apr 21st 2005, 5:56 pm
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Test?

Bump
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

I passed the written exam (diagrams) whilst in Oz then booked my first driving lesson. All went well until the end when the driving instructor told me that I was unable to take my test for another 6 mths because I had never held a licence. The only way people get round it is to get a job where they need to drive and they need to get special permission.

Anyone can teach you to drive and you need so many hours practice before the test.

Hope this helps.

Mandy
Old Apr 21st 2005, 6:08 pm
Cheeky member

Thumbs up Re: Driving Test?

Originally Posted by scrawni
I passed the written exam (diagrams) whilst in Oz then booked my first driving lesson. All went well until the end when the driving instructor told me that I was unable to take my test for another 6 mths because I had never held a licence. The only way people get round it is to get a job where they need to drive and they need to get special permission.

Anyone can teach you to drive and you need so many hours practice before the test.

Hope this helps.

Mandy

Hi Mandy

I have a provisional licence..would I still have to wait 6 months?

Thanks for reply

Ransi
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: UK 2 Oz, Oz 2 UK, Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt!
scrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nicescrawni is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ransi
Hi Mandy

I have a provisional licence..would I still have to wait 6 months?

Thanks for reply

Ransi

I too held a provisional licence in the uk. I took my test in the uk years ago but failed my test, never carried on through lack of cash at the time. So when I got to Oz I decided to give it another go.

The actual written test is pretty simple, multiple choice and a few diagrams (just remember to turn the diagrams round as it will be easier to understand them - you will know what i am on about when you see them). I didn't go into a seperate room or anything, just found a spare seat at a table and did it, no time limit really. Quite relaxed. Also you can take your test in an automatic which is easier. Alot of people drive automatics over there.

If you want to do the test before the 6mths then get a job which means you need to drive, alot of people do this and the instructor will give you a form.

Mandy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:48 am
Cheeky member

Talking Re: Driving Test?

Originally Posted by scrawni
I too held a provisional licence in the uk. I took my test in the uk years ago but failed my test, never carried on through lack of cash at the time. So when I got to Oz I decided to give it another go.

The actual written test is pretty simple, multiple choice and a few diagrams (just remember to turn the diagrams round as it will be easier to understand them - you will know what i am on about when you see them). I didn't go into a seperate room or anything, just found a spare seat at a table and did it, no time limit really. Quite relaxed. Also you can take your test in an automatic which is easier. Alot of people drive automatics over there.

If you want to do the test before the 6mths then get a job which means you need to drive, alot of people do this and the instructor will give you a form.

Mandy
Cheers Mandy

You've been very helpful

Ransi
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:10 am
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CORKER
Don't think it really matters...they must be pretty similar if they let you drive in Aus. with a UK licence....
CORKER
If you have a full UK licence you can drive over here for 3 months only! Before the 3 months is up you just have to take the 'written' exam which is very easy (30 multiple questions and you are allowed a few wrong!). When you pass they issue you a full Aus licence - job done!

Having covered 20000 kms in the last 6 months, I have noticed a few things compared to the UK - namely alot more respect for speed limits, most drivers use their indicators(!) and as there's less traffic, it's actually enjoyable!!!

Good luck to whoever has a test to take.
DC
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:28 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Must point out that is for P.R. holders only.

If you come over on a temp. visa, you can drive indefinately on your UK licence, which is effectively an international driving licence.

Just to clarify that means you don't have to take the theory or practical, thats the case for Queensland, different states may have different laws.

Originally Posted by PIXAU
If you have a full UK licence you can drive over here for 3 months only! Before the 3 months is up you just have to take the 'written' exam which is very easy (30 multiple questions and you are allowed a few wrong!). When you pass they issue you a full Aus licence - job done!

Having covered 20000 kms in the last 6 months, I have noticed a few things compared to the UK - namely alot more respect for speed limits, most drivers use their indicators(!) and as there's less traffic, it's actually enjoyable!!!

DC
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 8:34 am
"Whats That In Pounds?"

PIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant futurePIXAU has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bix
Just to clarify that means you don't have to take the theory or practical, thats the case for Queensland, different states may have different laws.

Good point - we are a law to ourselves here in QLD!
DC
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 10:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Must point out that is for P.R. holders only.

If you come over on a temp. visa, you can drive indefinately on your UK licence, which is effectively an international driving licence.

I'm not sure of the 'indefinite' time period for temp visa holders applies in all states, eg WA.

Jeremy
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:02 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
I'm not sure of the 'indefinite' time period for temp visa holders applies in all states, eg WA.

Jeremy
Agreed Jeremy.
That is what I was saying. It is for QLD but may not be elsewhere.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PIXAU

DC
I wish I knew what roads you drive on!

Whenever I drive down to Gold Coast from Brisbane, I get out and kiss the ground when we arrive. Cars overtake us (both sides) even though we are doing the speed limit, not just gently overtake, but fly right up to our bumper and then wild lane change,scream pass and then cut back in in front with a metre or two to spare. Cars swerve across 4 lanes 100 metres before an exit. Tailgaters, the list goes on. I thought only my car had indicators fitted.

I'm a nervous wreck after a 65 K drive to Harbour Town.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:26 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're going to WA then there's no test to take, you just take your UK licence in, pay a fee and get your Oz one.
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 11:34 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Driving Test?

Originally Posted by bridiej
If you're going to WA then there's no test to take, you just take your UK licence in, pay a fee and get your Oz one.

Same in NSW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.