British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Driving Sleeves - UV protection (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/driving-sleeves-uv-protection-693349/)

Jen1977ni Nov 12th 2010 10:35 pm

Driving Sleeves - UV protection

Has anyone seen driving sleeves for sale anywhere on the high street as opposed to by mail order? Yes, I'll look stupid wearing one, but it beats having my arm cooked as I drive! lol

Cheetah7 Nov 13th 2010 12:30 am

Re: Driving Sleeves - UV protection

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8978498)
Has anyone seen driving sleeves for sale anywhere on the high street as opposed to by mail order? Yes, I'll look stupid wearing one, but it beats having my arm cooked as I drive! lol

I havent seen them but my car is booked in for window tinting on Tuesday, I discussed it with my skin cancer doctor the other day who has discovered a new mole on my 'driving arm'. It only takes me about 5-10 mins to get home each day and I drive a bit on Saturdays but thats all, he said that is enough to do damage. I need two moles cutting out - booked in for November.

So Ive decided to bite the bullet and get the windows tinted, I thought about one of those sleeves but decided on the tints after talking to the doctor and checking the cancer council website.

Jen1977ni Nov 13th 2010 2:34 am

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8978636)
I havent seen them but my car is booked in for window tinting on Tuesday, I discussed it with my skin cancer doctor the other day who has discovered a new mole on my 'driving arm'. It only takes me about 5-10 mins to get home each day and I drive a bit on Saturdays but thats all, he said that is enough to do damage. I need two moles cutting out - booked in for November.

So Ive decided to bite the bullet and get the windows tinted, I thought about one of those sleeves but decided on the tints after talking to the doctor and checking the cancer council website.

I think ours are slightly tinted but I still feel that tingling effect so want some extra protection! Sorry to hear about ur moles, I think I'll get some mole mapping done soon too just to be on the safe side!

man_called_Horse Nov 13th 2010 5:47 am

Have not seen them, but seen taxi drivers in Sydney wearing a button on right sleeve for their uniform Shirt.

Umm would look silly alright how about putting sunscreen on your right arm?

Jen1977ni Nov 13th 2010 5:57 am

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse (Post 8978846)
Have not seen them, but seen taxi drivers in Sydney wearing a button on right sleeve for their uniform Shirt.

Umm would look silly alright how about putting sunscreen on your right arm?

I wear sunscreen everyday but I still feel that tingle! My Norn Irn skin just ain't used to this heat lol How's u Mr? Been back lately?

man_called_Horse Nov 13th 2010 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8978858)
I wear sunscreen everyday but I still feel that tingle! My Norn Irn skin just ain't used to this heat lol How's u Mr? Been back lately?

Last xmas

Was enough to be honest feels like going to a 3rd world country.

Other than that been good hows QLD?

Alfresco Nov 13th 2010 7:06 am

Had both cars windows tinted. At $250 a car it makes a huge difference. Keeps it cooler when parked as well. Also got a windscreen shady reflector for when parked.

Although I do like hanging my arm out the window when driving even though it's illegal in QLD. :lol:

Jen1977ni Nov 13th 2010 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 8978907)
Had both cars windows tinted. At $250 a car it makes a huge difference. Keeps it cooler when parked as well. Also got a windscreen shady reflector for when parked.

Although I do like hanging my arm out the window when driving even though it's illegal in QLD. :lol:

lol

Jen1977ni Nov 13th 2010 7:42 am

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse (Post 8978896)
Last xmas

Was enough to be honest feels like going to a 3rd world country.

Other than that been good hows QLD?

Third world?! How comes?! Qld is great ta!!! :wub:

man_called_Horse Nov 13th 2010 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni (Post 8978941)
Third world?! How comes?:wub:

Everyone is crying poverty and they are all depressed with the recession. Was refreshing to get back to Oz.

But it's good to back every now and then to confirm I done the right thing, are you going back anytime soon? Your $$ will buy plenty of Pommie Peso's

spalen Nov 13th 2010 8:36 am

You can get them in cycling stores - road bike stores - sold as arm-warmers or sun-blocks they'll be expensive though because everything to do with cycling is automatically 4x the price of anything else.

To order online - torpedo7.com.au or probikekit in UK are super fast shipping and cheaper

Jen1977ni Nov 13th 2010 9:12 am

Originally Posted by man_called_Horse (Post 8978988)
Everyone is crying poverty and they are all depressed with the recession. Was refreshing to get back to Oz.

But it's good to back every now and then to confirm I done the right thing, are you going back anytime soon? Your $$ will buy plenty of Pommie Peso's

Will see if the OH is away next year for a long spell and then decide!

Thanks Spalen :)

EvannTel Nov 13th 2010 2:32 pm

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/images/pr...N9AW_large.jpg

Please tell me you are not going to drive along wearing one of these?

spalen Nov 13th 2010 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 8978636)

I think he's a bit silly - Glass - any glass - blocks a lot of the harmful stuff and 5-10 minutes in a car each way isnt going to hurt in my layman dufus opinion , but look at what this intelligent doctor type has to say on the subject :

Unless you're taking a drive in a convertible with the top down on a bright, sunny day, you won't get a burn or increase your risk of developing skin cancer just from sitting in a car-even if it is sunny outside. "UVB rays are primarily responsible for tanning, burning and most forms of skin cancer, and they can't travel through glass," explains Dr. Weinstock. "UVA rays [which do penetrate glass] are 100 times weaker, so it's highly unlikely they can induce tanning or burning, or up your cancer risk much on their own," he says. One caveat: It's presumed that UVA rays are the main culprit behind premature aging, wrinkling and discolorations. When it comes to sun protection, your rule of thumb should be to use a full-spectrum sunscreen inside-and outside-your car every day.

But hey - tint looks cool too . just make sure it is UV protective and not just a color film that looks good. Needless to say - if you drive with the window down and arm out then you are not getting any help from either the glass or the tint.

Jen1977ni Nov 14th 2010 12:05 am

Originally Posted by EvannTel (Post 8979417)
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/images/pr...N9AW_large.jpg

Please tell me you are not going to drive along wearing one of these?

er no...I don't have LARGE arms lol :sneaky:

Nah, still looking for the driving sleeve... lol