Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving Sleeves - UV protection

Driving Sleeves - UV protection

Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Sleeves - UV protection

Originally Posted by spalen

I think he's a bit silly - Glass - any glass - blocks a lot of the harmful stuff and 5-10 minutes in a car each way isnt going to hurt in my layman dufus opinion , but look at what this intelligent doctor type has to say on the subject :

I think it really depends on the persons skin. Like PP I burn easily in OZ, pale skin but the sort that went a golden brown in UK/european/USA summer.

Here I can burn in the car in a one hour drive to brisbane. The car has tinted windows, but despite the 98% UV reduction they claim, my skin doctor says its more like only 70% hence why you still do get burnt.

We spent the weekend at the Marriott resort, despite sunblock, shade, and using the lagoon only early morning evening, me and one kid still have red skin.

Unfortunately some of us have skin that is very sensitive to the sheer intensity of the sun in OZ, but really when your talking UV levels of 13 - 16, (levels reported in last weeks spring bris weather) I guess its not surprising. Shade also only reduces UV rays by about 50% so its easy for the bits of sun to add up and burn desite all the care in the world. Ive got one of those UV metres now and even inside you can often get a reading of 3/4, which is mild but still enough to burn.

I guess some skin just isnt designed for this climate
Old Nov 14th 2010, 10:50 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I think it really depends on the persons skin. Like PP I burn easily in OZ, pale skin but the sort that went a golden brown in UK/european/USA summer.

Here I can burn in the car in a one hour drive to brisbane. The car has tinted windows, but despite the 98% UV reduction they claim, my skin doctor says its more like only 70% hence why you still do get burnt.

In the context of PP's 5-10mins drive each way to work what the skin doctor said is laughable. What you said - 1hr - yes thats understandable.

To have burn or damage from 10minutes in a glass car if you do the math - that is assuming your 70% reduced UV figure - 1/7th of 10minutes is 1.5minutes so - walking outside the office for 90 seconds - is the same as those 10minutes driving home under car-glass. If you are getting damage after 90seconds outside you'd already be wearing sp50 and being fully covered up.

In short -the car under glass hypothesis is nonsense in this 5-10minute context.
Old Nov 14th 2010, 11:08 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
I think he's a bit silly - Glass - any glass - blocks a lot of the harmful stuff and 5-10 minutes in a car each way isnt going to hurt in my layman dufus opinion , but look at what this intelligent doctor type has to say on the subject :

Unless you're taking a drive in a convertible with the top down on a bright, sunny day, you won't get a burn or increase your risk of developing skin cancer just from sitting in a car-even if it is sunny outside. "UVB rays are primarily responsible for tanning, burning and most forms of skin cancer, and they can't travel through glass," explains Dr. Weinstock. "UVA rays [which do penetrate glass] are 100 times weaker, so it's highly unlikely they can induce tanning or burning, or up your cancer risk much on their own," he says. One caveat: It's presumed that UVA rays are the main culprit behind premature aging, wrinkling and discolorations. When it comes to sun protection, your rule of thumb should be to use a full-spectrum sunscreen inside-and outside-your car every day.

But hey - tint looks cool too . just make sure it is UV protective and not just a color film that looks good. Needless to say - if you drive with the window down and arm out then you are not getting any help from either the glass or the tint.
To be honest, I dont know what to believe - all I know is I am on a two week waiting list to get two dodgy moles cut out, mind you my doctor is comparable to a mad scientist but has a good reputation. Saying that he probably is over cautious.

I have picked the tint that is UV protective, it isnt the cheapest but I dont care.

I do find it hard to believe that a 10 min drive can do this but he said its a build up of exposure through the week. I have no choice but to take his word for it.

One thing I do know is that I am scared because the one on my back has changed shape and colour in a short space of time and if the doctor is telling me small amounts of exposure have a build up effect then I have to believe him.

At the end of the day I dont give a shit how this came about, the fact is I am waiting to have them cut out and then I have to wait for the results and then I have to plan according to what they are. The finer detail he tells me about car windows/UV exposure mean nothing.

I am scared and that is that.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

There used to ads in magazines,newspapers ages ago, maybe 5+ years back. Anyway, it was probably the slip slop type ads, and in the weather report in our local paper. A little coloured or shaded graph, would give how many minutes of sun it was safe to be out for.

Like the current green yellow, orange, red, purple low to extreme scale but instead of a low or high it would give minutes. I can remember it clearly because at times it would often say 7 mins or 9 mins I dont suppose anyone believes you can burn that quickly, maybe thats why you dont see it anymore or they didnt want to scare people, but it gave a very clear if blunt message.

Again like PP once you get a few 'close' ones cut off, you do start to take it ultra seriously. I also worry a bit as its not sunbaking damage, its accumulated, incidental damage.

I suppose there is so much conflicting info as it affects different people in different ways, and people react to it in different ways, Ive got mates who sunbake, and dont care one bit, they reckon its like smoking you have to die one way or another, why not sun whatever floats the boat I guess.
One thing I cant get to grips with though is the amount of people with many many scars hacked out off the back face etc, but they still walk around in a singlet or whatever
Old Nov 15th 2010, 12:56 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
There used to ads in magazines,newspapers ages ago, maybe 5+ years back. Anyway, it was probably the slip slop type ads, and in the weather report in our local paper. A little coloured or shaded graph, would give how many minutes of sun it was safe to be out for.

Like the current green yellow, orange, red, purple low to extreme scale but instead of a low or high it would give minutes. I can remember it clearly because at times it would often say 7 mins or 9 mins I dont suppose anyone believes you can burn that quickly, maybe thats why you dont see it anymore or they didnt want to scare people, but it gave a very clear if blunt message.

Again like PP once you get a few 'close' ones cut off, you do start to take it ultra seriously. I also worry a bit as its not sunbaking damage, its accumulated, incidental damage.

I suppose there is so much conflicting info as it affects different people in different ways, and people react to it in different ways, Ive got mates who sunbake, and dont care one bit, they reckon its like smoking you have to die one way or another, why not sun whatever floats the boat I guess.
One thing I cant get to grips with though is the amount of people with many many scars hacked out off the back face etc, but they still walk around in a singlet or whatever
Spot on Jan, we had a fire alarm go off at work the other week and we were out for 8 mins, I remember it because our fire wardens were timing it and in that short space of time, my arms had already gone pink.

People may well think it is rubbish and unlikely to burn in that time through a car window but I am not taking any chances. As you say Jan, have a few cut out and then come back with that opinion.

Mr PP doesnt think he can get the time off and I dont want to go on my own because I am one big pussy
Old Nov 15th 2010, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Has anyone seen driving sleeves for sale anywhere on the high street as opposed to by mail order? Yes, I'll look stupid wearing one, but it beats having my arm cooked as I drive! lol
Only certain wavelengths of ultra violet photons can pass through ordinary glass, so as long as the window is up it's not as dangerous as driving with the window down - however, there has been some interesting correlations between certain skin cancers in airline pilots, who of course fly with the windows up, but there are other factors in this that should not affect you unless you spend a lot of time in your car in direct sunshine. I cover my arms when I'm driving even when the window is up because I understand the risks, though very small, are of course cumulative.

Basically if you drive with your window down all the time then yes, you should definitely cover your arm and if drive with your window up then you make your own decision about the risk. It's not just Australia that has this issue, the UV in many American states is even worse than all Aussie cities except those in the north. If you live north of about Brisbane then you do have to be very careful.

The good thing is that you are very aware of UV in Australia so you don't take forget about it. Even Canada can get UV levels as high as 10 which is very dangerous, but I doubt most people know this, so they might take more unnecessary risks there especially as it is unlikely to be accompanied by a very high temperature.

Last edited by Seneca21; Nov 15th 2010 at 3:11 am.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:02 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Only certain wavelengths of ultra violet photons can pass through ordinary glass, so as long as the window is up it's not as dangerous as driving with the window down - however, there has been some interesting correlations between certain skin cancers in airline pilots, who of course fly with the windows up, but there are other factors in this that should not affect you unless you spend a lot of time in your car in direct sunshine. I cover my arms when I'm driving even when the window is up because I understand the risks, though very small, are of course cumulative.

Basically if you drive with your window down all the time then yes, you should definitely cover your arm and if drive with your window up then you make your own decision about the risk. It's not just Australia that has this issue, the UV in many American states is even worse than all Aussie cities except those in the north. If you live north of about Brisbane then you do have to be very careful.

The good thing is that you are very aware of UV in Australia so you don't take forget about it. Even Canada can get UV levels as high as 10 which is very dangerous, but I doubt most people know this, so they might take more unnecessary risks there especially as it is unlikely to be accompanied by a very high temperature.

There was an interesting study done on this in 2003. You can obtain a copy of the peer reviewed journal article here, but I will past up the abstract:

UV exposure in cars

Matthias Moehrle, Martin Soballa, Manfred Korn

Background: There is increasing knowledge about the hazards of solar and ultraviolet (UV) radiation to humans. Although people spend a significant time in cars, data on UV exposure during traveling are lacking. The aim of this study was to obtain basic information on personal UV exposure in cars.

Methods: UV transmission of car glass samples, windscreen, side and back windows and sunroof, was determined. UV exposure of passengers was evaluated in seven German middle-class cars, fitted with three different types of car windows. UV doses were measured with open or closed windows/sunroof of Mercedes-Benz E 220 T, E 320, and S 500, and in an open convertible car (Mercedes-Benz CLK). Bacillus subtilis spore film dosimeters (Viospor) were attached to the front, vertex, cheeks, upper arms, forearms and thighs of ‘adult’ and ‘child’ dummies.

Results: UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 3–4% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 25–31% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.

Conclusions: The car glass types examined offer substantial protection against short-wave UV radiation. Professional drivers should keep car windows closed on sunny days to reduce occupational UV exposure. In individuals with polymorphic light eruption, produced by long-wave UVA, additional protection by plastic films, clothes or sunscreens appears necessary.

S
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
There was an interesting study done on this in 2003. You can obtain a copy of the peer reviewed journal article here, but I will past up the abstract:

UV exposure in cars

Matthias Moehrle, Martin Soballa, Manfred Korn

Background: There is increasing knowledge about the hazards of solar and ultraviolet (UV) radiation to humans. Although people spend a significant time in cars, data on UV exposure during traveling are lacking. The aim of this study was to obtain basic information on personal UV exposure in cars.

Methods: UV transmission of car glass samples, windscreen, side and back windows and sunroof, was determined. UV exposure of passengers was evaluated in seven German middle-class cars, fitted with three different types of car windows. UV doses were measured with open or closed windows/sunroof of Mercedes-Benz E 220 T, E 320, and S 500, and in an open convertible car (Mercedes-Benz CLK). Bacillus subtilis spore film dosimeters (Viospor) were attached to the front, vertex, cheeks, upper arms, forearms and thighs of ‘adult’ and ‘child’ dummies.

Results: UV wavelengths longer than >335 nm were transmitted through car windows, and UV irradiation >380 nm was transmitted through compound glass windscreens. There was some variation in the spectral transmission of side windows according to the type of glass. On the arms, UV exposure was 3–4% of ambient radiation when the car windows were shut, and 25–31% of ambient radiation when the windows were open. In the open convertible car, the relative personal doses reached 62% of ambient radiation.

Conclusions: The car glass types examined offer substantial protection against short-wave UV radiation. Professional drivers should keep car windows closed on sunny days to reduce occupational UV exposure. In individuals with polymorphic light eruption, produced by long-wave UVA, additional protection by plastic films, clothes or sunscreens appears necessary.

S
Thanks, Swervo. The wavelength of the photons can also have a bearing on the type of skin cancer as well, which is why there is the correlation between pilots and certain types - they have long-term cumulative exposure through the cockpit glass to long-wave radiation UVA which is stronger because of the altitude - this altitude and the number of hours spent at it work to cancel out the protection offered by the glass, etc.

It seems highly unlikely people are getting severely burned through their car windows, to my mind.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:41 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Swervo. The wavelength of the photons can also have a bearing on the type of skin cancer as well, which is why there is the correlation between pilots and certain types - they have long-term cumulative exposure through the cockpit glass to long-wave radiation UVA which is stronger because of the altitude - this altitude and the number of hours spent at it work to cancel out the protection offered by the glass, etc.
Looks like the quality of the glass has something to do with it, but not much.

It seems highly unlikely people are getting severely burned through their car windows, to my mind.

Could be the nearer end of the far IR spectrum that's doing the burning. IR isn't stopped by glass like UVA, and will happily burn you if you're exposed too long.

S
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
To be honest, I dont know what to believe - all I know is I am on a two week waiting list to get two dodgy moles cut out, mind you my doctor is comparable to a mad scientist but has a good reputation. Saying that he probably is over cautious.

I have picked the tint that is UV protective, it isnt the cheapest but I dont care.

I do find it hard to believe that a 10 min drive can do this but he said its a build up of exposure through the week. I have no choice but to take his word for it.

One thing I do know is that I am scared because the one on my back has changed shape and colour in a short space of time and if the doctor is telling me small amounts of exposure have a build up effect then I have to believe him.

At the end of the day I dont give a shit how this came about, the fact is I am waiting to have them cut out and then I have to wait for the results and then I have to plan according to what they are. The finer detail he tells me about car windows/UV exposure mean nothing.

I am scared and that is that.
Better safe than sorry.

If you can afford tinting, why not.

I'm easily burned and paranoid about sunblock. I have HUGE problems persuading my 3 year old to wear it. He's darker anyway, but even so it worries me.

Good luck PP.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 6:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Better safe than sorry.

If you can afford tinting, why not.

I'm easily burned and paranoid about sunblock. I have HUGE problems persuading my 3 year old to wear it. He's darker anyway, but even so it worries me.

Good luck PP.
I got the darkest legal tint installed on the one car (called black ice) by mistake (they put the wrong one on ), but it's the best. You can hardly feel the heat of the sun coming through the window compared to when the window is open.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 12:02 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Getting a tint is a good option, not only does it cut out any nasty rays of sunshine that will get though glass it also keeps the heat out.
For the heat only reason we got our car tinted when we bought it, you can feel the difference in the heat coming through versus clear glass straight away.
Its great, every car I will ever own will be tinted. Its well worth the cost.

Jenny

Nah, still looking for the driving sleeve... lol[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a really daft question, but do you have problems seeing through tint on a dull day? Is it like driving at night? I know a lot of people like to wear sunglasses when driving, but I don't unless it's REALLY sunny. Just a matter of getting used to it, I guess.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Probably a really daft question, but do you have problems seeing through tint on a dull day? Is it like driving at night? I know a lot of people like to wear sunglasses when driving, but I don't unless it's REALLY sunny. Just a matter of getting used to it, I guess.
Some of these tints are getting ridiculous now. They're all a bit overkill really for the reasons that have been pointed out.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 10:07 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Jen, Sunsleeves are on sale at Cellbikes.com.au (they have a shop in sydney) for 14.95$ they're nice white ones :-) made by pearl-izumi a quality cycling brand.