Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Driving in Queensland

Driving in Queensland

Old Mar 9th 2002, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all
Default Driving in Queensland

I have been told that our British driving licences are only valid for 3 months once we arrive in Oz. We plan on moving to Queensland, and have heard that we will need to take a written test. Apparently there is a website with examples of the questions - does anyone know it? Would be grateful for any advice as the though of having to retake my test is not very good!
Old Mar 9th 2002, 9:06 pm
David Bennetts

Default Re: Driving in Queensland

You may find the following site of use:
http://www.transport.qld.gov.au/qt/d...x/licenceinqld

I couldn't find the Queensland questions on the internet, but the road traffic
handbook for NSW is almost the same with the advent of national road rules, and you
can download a copy of it from www.rta.nsw.gov.au. It's in many languages, but Welsh
doesn't seem to be included!

Regards

David Bennetts

Old Mar 10th 2002, 4:37 am
Dave Proctor

On 9 Mar 2002 11:04:01 -0600, welshgirl <[email protected]> wrote:

>I have been told that our British driving licences are only valid for 3 months once
    >we arrive in Oz.

Only if you take up residence. If on an extended holiday - even if 12 months or more
- your overseas licence will suffice.

Dave

Old Mar 10th 2002, 10:06 am
Dave Proctor

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:51:54 +0000, Simon Pleasants <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:43:08 GMT, Dave Proctor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On 9 Mar 2002 11:04:01 -0600, welshgirl <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have been told that our British driving licences are only valid for 3 months
    >>>once we arrive in Oz.
    >>
    >>Only if you take up residence. If on an extended holiday - even if 12 months or
    >>more - your overseas licence will suffice.
    >
    >Safer to get an international license, you can pick them up from any number
    >of places.

There is no such thing as an "international licence" - there is an international
driving permit, which is basically a translation of your licence. Even with the
permit you have to carry your licence, and if you take up residence anywhere in
Australia, you still have to get a local licence within three months.

>A little suggestion that was made to me - if you get stopped by the Australian
    >police, show them your UK license first and only dig out your international one if
    >specifically asked for it. Reason being that they have no punative powers over a UK
    >license, but they can endorse an international one.

They do not require you to carry the international permit. You can drive on your UK
licence freely in Australia, as you can with licences issued in other countries
(provided they are in English).

Dave

Old Mar 10th 2002, 11:08 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Hi Welshgirl,

" Apparently there is a website with examples of the questions - does anyone know it?"

The only place I know of where there is some examples of questions is at the following link:

http://www.mtcottontraining.com.au/test.htm

Hope this is what you are wanting

Susan
Old Mar 10th 2002, 12:05 pm
ajc

On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 10:42:31 GMT, Dave Proctor <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 09:51:54 +0000, Simon Pleasants <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 10 Mar 2002 02:43:08 GMT, Dave Proctor <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On 9 Mar 2002 11:04:01 -0600, welshgirl <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>I have been told that our British driving licences are only valid for 3 months
    >>>>once we arrive in Oz.
    >>>
    >>>Only if you take up residence. If on an extended holiday - even if 12 months or
    >>>more - your overseas licence will suffice.
    >>
    >>Safer to get an international license, you can pick them up from any number
    >>of places.
    >
    >There is no such thing as an "international licence" - there is an international
    >driving permit, which is basically a translation of your licence. Even with the
    >permit you have to carry your licence, and if you take up residence anywhere in
    >Australia, you still have to get a local licence within three months.
    >
    >>A little suggestion that was made to me - if you get stopped by the Australian
    >>police, show them your UK license first and only dig out your international one if
    >>specifically asked for it. Reason being that they have no punative powers over a UK
    >>license, but they can endorse an international one.
    >
    >They do not require you to carry the international permit. You can drive on your UK
    >licence freely in Australia, as you can with licences issued in other countries
    >(provided they are in English).
    >
    >Dave

I believe also that all EU nation licences are acceptable in Australia, because of
the standard format. --==++AJC++==--

Old Mar 11th 2002, 8:36 pm
Lee Hatcliff

hi I did the test...if it is that easy we shouldn't worry ! i got 11/12. I am
emmigrating to brisbane in 3 weeks time...see you there!!

regards Lee